Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sites have been carefully selected and posted — this year’s theme is ODD ATTRACTIONS.

What’s the Landmark Ride all about, you ask? This event is not only a great opportunity to get on your bike and see parts of the state (and outside) that you might not normally see… It’s not only a healthy list of riding destinations, for those that may be looking for something to do… It’s also an easy way to raise money for charity (Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation / Ride for Kids)! For $20 (early bird, on or before 5/18/14) or $25 (after 5/18/14), you can get in on the fun, get in some great rides this season, and feel good! And two lucky riders will win some money! Click this link for all the details: http://www.greatlakesroadriders.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=1874

This landmark ride event is hosted by the Great Lakes Road Riders.

Odd Roadside Attractions.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Three Landmarks Completed... 22 Landmarks to Go

Last weekend I did the Cold Ride Straight to Hell... Hell, Michigan, that is, so I could get a picture of the Dam Site Inn.

This weekend, I did the Ice Museum - Swinging Bridge Ride so I could get a picture of the Swinging Bridge in Croswell, as well as a picture of the Knowlton Ice Museum in Port Huron.

That's three of the 2014 Landmark Ride stops completed... 22 more landmarks to go.

For more information about the Michigan-based 2014 Landmark Ride, a Great Lakes Road Riders season-long event, see this discussion thread: ( link ).

73_24_01_14_11_24_14.jpeg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sparty Statue and Curwood Castle Landmark Ride, Saturday May 31st

Sparty Statue and Curwood Castle Landmark Ride
Saturday May 31st

This short-notice 2-stop landmark ride will be roughly four-and-a-half hours long. A lunch stop is also figured into that rough time duration. This landmark ride will occur this upcoming Saturday May 31st, the kickstands-up time will be at 10am, and the ride should conclude at 2:30pm.

Route Map: ( link ).

Timeline
.....9:45 AM – Link-up and gas-up at the Sunny's Sunoco Gas Station in Pleasant Ridge on Woodward Avenue just south of I-696.

.....Sunny's Sunoco Gas Station
.....23701 Woodward Ave. (just south of I-696)
.....Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069

.....10:00 AM – Kickstands-up and ride!

.....Landmark Stop #1 = Sparty Statue
.....Landmark Stop #2 = Curwood Castle
.....Lunch Stop = vicinity Curwood Castle

.....2:30 PM (appx) – End of ride at I-75 and M-59 / Hall Rd.

Weather
.....Local weekend forecast: ( link )
.....Local hourly forecast: ( link )
.....Local precipitation map (previous 2 hrs, next 6 hrs): ( link )

If anyone would like to join me on this Sparty Statue and Curwood Castle Landmark Ride, please post-up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
** New Start Time **

** New Start Time **

Sparty Statue and Curwood Castle Landmark Ride
Saturday May 31st

This short-notice 2-stop landmark ride will be roughly four-and-a-half hours long. A lunch stop is also figured into that rough time duration. This landmark ride will occur this upcoming Saturday May 31st, the kickstands-up time will be at 8am, and the ride should conclude at 12:30pm.

Route Map: ( link ).

** New Start Time **

Timeline

.....7:45 AM – Link-up and gas-up at the Sunny's Sunoco Gas Station in Pleasant Ridge on Woodward Avenue just south of I-696.

.....Sunny's Sunoco Gas Station
.....23701 Woodward Ave. (just south of I-696)
.....Pleasant Ridge, MI 48069

.....8:00 AM – Kickstands-up and ride!

.....Landmark Stop #1 = Sparty Statue
.....Landmark Stop #2 = Curwood Castle
.....Lunch Stop = vicinity Curwood Castle

.....12:30 PM (appx) – End of ride at I-75 and M-59 / Hall Rd.

Weather
.....Local weekend forecast: ( link )
.....Local hourly forecast: ( link )
.....Local precipitation map (previous 2 hrs, next 6 hrs): ( link )

Any other participants out there? With this new timeline, it'll satisfy your riding fix, and still leave time on Saturday afternoon to cut the grass as well as BBQ some ribs out on the back deck while sipping down a cool, refreshing glass of your favorite elixer!

If anyone would like to join me on this Sparty Statue and Curwood Castle Landmark Ride, please post-up.

Odd Roadside Attractions.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coffee

This morning's Sparty and Curwood Castle Landmark Ride will kick-off in roughly three hours from now. A cup of coffee or two, some breakfast chow, and a cup of coffee for the road, and I'll be good as new this morning.

I thought this video clip was fitting for this morning. In the scene were the monkeys wake up to discover a tall and dark monolith is standing next to them, that's sort of how I am with the automatic drip coffee maker in the morning. And in the scene when the monkey discovers he can wail on things with a bone, that's how I was after I fixed the cup holder on my ride. The joy of knowing that I could once again drink coffee while out on the road with my ride... that was an over-riding feeling.

View attachment 50838

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear Flat Tire on the Super-Slab at 80 MPH

** Postponed Until Further Notice as of May 31, 2014 **

Unfortunately this ride was postponed; I experienced a rear flat tire on the super-slab this morning before this landmark ride got started.

Thanks, FeTT-X, for all your help yesterday. Sorry we weren't able to do this landmark ride as planned. It would've been an enjoyable ride.

To put it mildly, my bike handled rather... interestingly... after my rear tire lost all tire pressure at super-slab speed. Crossing over all those lanes to get to the shoulder of the super-slab while coasting to a stop was hair-raising, to say the least. The backside of my bike was fish-tailing all over the place, but I managed to avoid the cagers all around me, and I managed to keep the bike upright as I made my way to the shoulder. That was an experience I don't care to ever repeat. But if that rear flat tire on a super-slab scenario was to ever happen again, at least I now know what the handling characteristics feel like, and at least now I've done it once without going down in a crash... and maybe I can be that lucky again.

I now know how to use a motorcycle tire patch kit, and that kit is now part of my general set of tools that I keep on my bike.

And incredibly, Honda-Suzuki of Warren was able to mount a new rear tire for me on the same day that I took the bike in to get a new tire, even though they had a full stable of bikes needing service. That was completely unexpected.

Again, FeTT-X, thank you for all your help and patience during yesterday morning's ordeal.

View attachment 50868

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He Decided to Get Pretty Creative with his Landmark Ride Pictures

There are 26 landmark stops for this year's 2014 Odd Roadside Attractions Landmark Ride: 20 regular landmark stops, 5 bonus landmark stops, and 1 special bonus, the 2014 Ride For Kids, which is a Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation sponsored event.

Normally, a landmark ride participant has to take a picture - typically a still picture - of his or her bike at a given landmark to prove he or she was at the landmark destination. Some of the participants get pretty creative on how they feature their bike in the snapshot.

Rickie, a participant in this year's landmark ride, decided get pretty creative with his pictures... his moving pictures, that is. He put together a video clip of the 10 landmark stops that he's completed so far. Way to go, Rickie!

Here's a link to Rickie's video clip featuring the 10 Odd Roadside Attractions Landmark Ride stops that he's completed so far: ( link ).

Odd Roadside Attractions.jpg 73_06_02_14_10_53_03.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts