Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that I'd start a thread about bikes since that's what this forum should be about...
I am currently considering putting a new ride in the stable. A bike that has really caught my attention in the past few years is the latest generation Honda Gold Wing (bagger). I was wondering if any of the members own one or have had a chance to ride one and what their thoughts on the bike are.
I have compared it to a BMW K1600B and a H/D Road Glide Special (114 ci) and have found that based on the stats the Honda and BMW have better brakes, suspension and h/p (dyno'd; bmw-131, Honda-102, H/D -80). Most of the other specs are pretty close however, fuel economy is best in the H/D (42mpg- 6 gal, Honda 41-5.5 gal and BMW 38- 7 gal). The advantage of the Honda is that it takes regular grade fuel while the other two use premium. Fatter tires on the Honda and Beemer...BMW is the lightest at 768lbs followed by the Honda (DCT) at 806 lbs and the H/D at 847 lbs.
I do realize that look play an important part which is one of the reasons I'm leaning to the Wing and in the grand scheme all three are probably great touring bikes. Any thoughts that you may have are appreciated.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
Why not put a bike thread in the general discussion forum, where more folks who want to discuss bikes are likely to go for such conversations?

It’s a rhetorical question; no need to answer. Everyone can see you were just acting like a crybaby bitch. :D

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
I really enjoyed my time on a 2010 Wing. Fit me great, but I'm short legged tall guys complain a bit. But I never liked the engine. The 6 just doesn't do it. Therefore, I got a 2007 Road Glide and rode it across the USA and Canada for 2 years trouble free. Then got a 2009 CVO Ultra Classic and rode that across both countries trouble free. I just love a nice V Twin the feel and the sound to accompany me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If Goldwings had forward controls I'd already own one. At 6'2" 200lbs and with both knees rebuilt I just can't (and won't) deal with 'standard' controls. Grew up on HDs and more recently have flown to and rented them. Rentals are inevitably RGs or UGs (upsell) and they are comfortable, solid motorcycles. They could sure use another 25-30 hp, but, they're predictable, practical tourers. I know nothing about the BMW except what I've read.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why not put a bike thread in the general discussion forum, where more folks who want to discuss bikes are likely to go for such conversations?

It’s a rhetorical question; no need to answer. Everyone can see you were just acting like a crybaby bitch. :D
What's with the anger fella? This is a honest query about bikes and since it doesn't pertain to VTX's I thought this was the right spot. Obviously the General board was the right spot and my thanks to the moderator who moved it.
I'm also lost on how posing this question is acting like a crybaby bitch.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
What's with the anger fella?
No anger; just mockery. :D Maybe a tad of annoyance at the repeated complaints from board members who object to the Off Topic subjects that are being discussed on Off Topic boards. Sorry that my mockery crossed the line to rudeness.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If Goldwings had forward controls I'd already own one. At 6'2" 200lbs and with both knees rebuilt I just can't (and won't) deal with 'standard' controls. Grew up on HDs and more recently have flown to and rented them. Rentals are inevitably RGs or UGs (upsell) and they are comfortable, solid motorcycles. They could sure use another 25-30 hp, but, they're predictable, practical tourers. I know nothing about the BMW except what I've read.
I think this is the biggest difference to consider. The HD is a cruiser with a different riding position then the Honda and BMW.

I’ve seriously considered a GW as my next bike, but I’d have to go for a long ride on one to really know if that’s what I want. I’ve done 600 km on a HD Ultra Classic and although the position is different from my X, it’s pretty close.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
my friend CHAD, he has a 2018 Wing bagger GL1800B, he added forward pegs for cruising.
not like forward controls.. but it works for him. he is 6 foot.

·
Old Goat
25,615 Posts
If I was couple years younger....F6B...good luck on your choice....

Reactions: SUMDATX and dud-57

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
If I was couple years younger....F6B...good luck on your choice....
the 2018 to 2021 F6B is called GL1800B

just and FYI.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
To me the BMW is performance, comfort, and technology. Honda is comfort and reliability. Harley is status and sound.

I´ve ridden the K1600GT twice and riding it the first time set a new lifetime standard for a touring bike. The bike is powerful from low end torque (130 ftlb) thru top end speed. With max acceleration from a stop not expecting it the front wheel pulled up well going from 1st to 2nd and I think it came off the ground going into 3rd. There wasn´t a lot of road and it wasn´t a very good road so I was simply too scared to look down at the speedo until I let off and lightly touched the brakes, I saw the speedo coming down thru 140, not sure but this might have been within a 1/2 mile from dead stop and back to 80mph. Drag times put it less than 12secs and around 120. They had to regulate the speed on the full touring models to 140 because of the top case doing undesirable things over 150.

Your specs bear this out with the best power to weight ratio of the three, bmw is the lightest bike even with 7 gal of fuel and has the most power and torque, beats harley by 50hp and then factor in harley's extra 80lbs. I don't really see a point to the harley with it being the most expensive by a wide margin. Downsides of the bmw is lack of dealerships and lots of advanced technology that increases failure risk in the middle of nowhere, replacement parts are very high priced, if you are not familiar with the prices the term "sticker shock" is not adequate. My 2004 K1200 has been VERY reliable for me but I have broken mirrors and they are $400 a piece, with 20 yr old bikes the ABS modules are now failing and they are $3500, to fix a broken trunk latch is about $450.

Gold Wing is a good solid choice if you don't mind the limited range, having to stop around 200 miles just doesn't seem long enough on a touring bike. My F650 goes about 230 miles, k1200 250 to 275, my son's Triumph Trophy goes over 300.

Regarding the premium fuel, my LT needs it but really it is irrelevant to my thoughts about the bike. Putting 10-20K miles a year it doesn't amount to much. Now the price of US diesel irks me. At 10k miles/year, .45 cents more per gallon for premium, comes out to about $110/yr. Here in the US BMW is now offering $1600 off on 2020 models.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me the BMW is performance, comfort, and technology. Honda is comfort and reliability. Harley is status and sound.

I´ve ridden the K1600GT twice and riding it the first time set a new lifetime standard for a touring bike. The bike is powerful from low end torque (130 ftlb) thru top end speed. With max acceleration from a stop not expecting it the front wheel pulled up well going from 1st to 2nd and I think it came off the ground going into 3rd. There wasn´t a lot of road and it wasn´t a very good road so I was simply too scared to look down at the speedo until I let off and lightly touched the brakes, I saw the speedo coming down thru 140, not sure but this might have been within a 1/2 mile from dead stop and back to 80mph. Drag times put it less than 12secs and around 120. They had to regulate the speed on the full touring models to 140 because of the top case doing undesirable things over 150.

Your specs bear this out with the best power to weight ratio of the three, bmw is the lightest bike even with 7 gal of fuel and has the most power and torque, beats harley by 50hp and then factor in harley's extra 80lbs. I don't really see a point to the harley with it being the most expensive by a wide margin. Downsides of the bmw is lack of dealerships and lots of advanced technology that increases failure risk in the middle of nowhere, replacement parts are very high priced, if you are not familiar with the prices the term "sticker shock" is not adequate. My 2004 K1200 has been VERY reliable for me but I have broken mirrors and they are $400 a piece, with 20 yr old bikes the ABS modules are now failing and they are $3500, to fix a broken trunk latch is about $450.

Gold Wing is a good solid choice if you don't mind the limited range, having to stop around 200 miles just doesn't seem long enough on a touring bike. My F650 goes about 230 miles, k1200 250 to 275, my son's Triumph Trophy goes over 300.

Regarding the premium fuel, my LT needs it but really it is irrelevant to my thoughts about the bike. Putting 10-20K miles a year it doesn't amount to much. Now the price of US diesel irks me. At 10k miles/year, .45 cents more per gallon for premium, comes out to about $110/yr. Here in the US BMW is now offering $1600 off on 2020 models.
Thank you Enduro for that writeup, your thoughts help to further my bias towards the Goldwing. As you mention, the Harley purchase price and the BMW maintenance costs are the main reasons I am liking the Honda more and more.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I sold a 2014 Valkyrie in 2020 to buy a K1600B. I am 6' 1" and felt cramped on the Honda and no great ideas for forward pegs (putting them on the engine sounded like a bad idea for more spirited riding). Beemer had the front floorboards already and I love them. Eng performance Beemer makes you smile all day very fast and the Honda is just meh. The K1600GA is limited to 105 MPH but the other versions are not limited. Freeway cruising is more comfortable on the Beemer but the Honda is Solid as a rock where the K1600B and GA have a light front wheel feel you have to get used too it is spooky at first feels unreliable like it is dancing in dirty air or crosswinds I am told that the GT and GTL do not suffer from this but cant say for sure. For the thrill of riding have not found any other big bike that makes me feel and enjoy riding like the K1600B it is spectacular but it is not as reliable and there all these little things such as changing the oil and other shit that are way to complicated for a motorcycle. If I wanted beautiful and reliable I would pick the GW all day. If I wanted smooth and passionate with less reliability I would pick the Beemer. Now that I have had both The joy I get in the twisties makes me overlook the faults of the Beemer The quick shift on the Beemer is the best thing ever created period. Good luck on your choice you cant go wrong with any of them

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned several Gold Wings over the years. They are wonderful bikes and for many riders, perfect. My problem is what has been mentioned above. I like foot-forward riding, where I am not sitting with my knees under me. This really isn't possible on the Wing (with the exception of highway pegs when riding open road). The engine just gets in the way, as it does on a BMW. If this isn't a concern for you, go for the Wing. You won't be disappointed if riding position is not a concern.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have owned several Gold Wings over the years. They are wonderful bikes and for many riders, perfect. My problem is what has been mentioned above. I like foot-forward riding, where I am not sitting with my knees under me. This really isn't possible on the Wing (with the exception of highway pegs when riding open road). The engine just gets in the way, as it does on a BMW. If this isn't a concern for you, go for the Wing. You won't be disappointed if riding position is not a concern.
If you are talking about air heads, the engine on a BMW gets in the way but the OP is talking about a 1600 where this is not a problem. The other thing about the beamer is the quick shift and breaking I can drop one foot back to the shift lever and down shift or up shift with no clutch and unlike the Honda the linked anti lock breaks are controlled from the handle bars making the foot break unnecessary. With cruise I can ride almost all conditions feet forward. If the op buys a Honda get the one you have in the picture that is the best looking of the bunch. I did slobber on a rootbeer GW but got over it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts