Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Meh.

//snipped//
I wanted another Dyna. Yes, I know they're actually a "softail" now - and I have to say that they look cheap. I mean - what's up with that el cheapo gas tank ? Looks like they took it off of that 500cc model.
//snipped//
Yeah, the Dyna reboots really missed something when they "Softailed" them. The new Heritage Classic though is still a great looking bike, and from all accounts a great ride, even compared to the last gen bikes. That said, that is anecdotal information, I have not ridden both to make a first had judgement.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
All right! Finally fighting about something other than oil or tires (or politics if you are hotbox minded). :thumbup:

I wouldn't buy another air cooled motor if I had too. If that was all that was left I simply wouldn't ride anymore. I don't care who makes it - vic, yamaha, HD, anyone. Air cooled motors are begging for trouble that doesn't happen with liquid cooled motors. If you go to sturgis you can see those air cooled bikes smoking away as they sit in traffic and they get closer to overheating. Add that nonsense along with the looser tolerances and antiquated design and you have a ticking time bomb IMHO.

As for the HD thing - whatever. You like it? All good with me. I am not here to tell another man what to ride. You can tell me all the advancements and other stuff HD did and why they are better now. I will smile and agree and walk away. In no way will I engage in this childish nonsense of arguing about who's bike is better (aka who has the bigger d*ick). :D

Talking to someone about this is like talking to someone about how attractive their wife is - that ain't going to end well for you.

·
Registered
642 Posts
How wonderful that this thread has generated so many responses. No one is right or wrong but it has stimulated robust discussion which is what makes it worth turning on my computer when I get home from work and have a coffee. Sometimes on this site we all agree on something and the responses are almost nil. Discussions like this are stimulating and it is nice to read other peoples views. Keep posting guys.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have no brand loyalty. I just like a nice bike. I would have bought a Harley instead of my VTX if I could have found one in the same ballpark price range (low mileage and price) as the VTX. This is my first Honda motorcycle, I've only owned Kawis before.

I like the new Harley's, especially with the bigger engines, they seem to be the only manufacture continuing to increase engine size, and they are doing a good job of integrating technology to keep up with the times. Yes, they are high priced, but to be fair, they aren't using as much plastic (for example the vtx1300), and metal (especially chrome) costs money.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I have no brand loyalty. I just like a nice bike. I would have bought a Harley instead of my VTX if there I could have found one in the same ballpark price range (low mileage and price) as the VTX. This is my first Honda motorcycle, I've only owned Kawis before.

I like the new Harley's, especially with the bigger engines, they seem to be the only manufacture continuing to increase engine size, and they are doing a good job of integrating technology to keep up with the times. Yes, they are high priced, but to be fair, they aren't using as much plastic (for example the vtx1300), and metal (especially chrome) costs money.
I'm with you on that. I really appreciate nice bikes, no matter the maker. The whole custom chopper thing wore thin a while back for me though, but I like what I like, no matter which company or individual built it. If Harley doesn't have anything you like, then that's why a free market is so great. It doesn't matter why you don't like it, but the reason(s) should be informed. Don't be dumping on another person's ride when you don't know what you're talking about. Virtually all metric bike riders have listened to that BS from Harley riders since Japan first started exporting bikes to the US, and it is simply ignorance making it's appearance.

I don't think there is any question, the best engineered / manufactured motorcycles come from Japanese companies. That doesn't make everything else junk.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm with you on that. I really appreciate nice bikes, no matter the maker. The whole custom chopper thing wore thin a while back for me though, but I like what I like, no matter which company or individual built it. If Harley doesn't have anything you like, then that's why a free market is so great. It doesn't matter why you don't like it, but the reason(s) should be informed. Don't be dumping on another person's ride when you don't know what you're talking about. Virtually all metric bike riders have listened to that BS from Harley riders since Japan first started exporting bikes to the US, and it is simply ignorance making it's appearance.

I don't think there is any question, the best engineered / manufactured motorcycles come from Japanese companies. That doesn't make everything else junk.

My annual Maine trip include guys who have been doing it for 23+ years. 2 guys have 2003 fat boy anniversary bikes that they bought new. They have been riding the same bikes on the trip for 16 years. If their bikes were garbage, they wouldn't still have them. They are beautiful bikes...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have seen this discussion many times before (seems to come up on the Triumph forums in particular as well). I don't have any allegiance to a particular brand, though I understand advocating for a brand, that is, to a degree. A lot of times it simply becomes banal and cliche, mudslinging one way or another. I've always liked Harleys, there, I said it. I just haven't checked that box yet. Maybe one day I finally get a Guzzi as well. My point, if there is one, is I am a motorcycle geek. Sure, I like some more than others but if you're riding you are likely okay with me. Oh, and this VTX I just recently got is a damn fine machine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think wealthy yuppies have taken over the Harley crowd and Harley dealers sure like them.. They buy all the matching garb and think a ride is going to a "Biker Bar" several miles from where they live.
I'll go further on the subject. Certain guys not necessarily the rich, get a Harley only because of the Harley biker image. They know about the metric bikes are more reliable and cheaper then a Harley but they really don't care about that advantage, they still insist on going with the Harley brand only because of the biker image. As for as riding to bars dressed in H-D clothing this plays a major role. It's a social stasis and gathering to show the others at the bar your a big bad biker that rides a Harley. It's a good pass time hanging out with friends and they do some riding. And if there are single ladies at the bar it sure does help your chances at meeting ladies.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
......................I wouldn't buy another air cooled motor if I had too. If that was all that was left I simply wouldn't ride anymore........................

Oh c'mon now ! Here's a nice air-cooled model. 1,854 cc's and it's a pushrod motor. :kiss:
No issues.

I haven't burnt it up (yet)
:smile2:

We also have a couple of air-cooled Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I don't recommend them. Not because of the air-cooling, but because of the unreliable electricals

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Oh c'mon now ! Here's a nice air-cooled model. 1,854 cc's and it's a pushrod motor. :kiss:
No issues.

I haven't burnt it up (yet)
:smile2:

We also have a couple of air-cooled Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I don't recommend them. Not because of the air-cooling, but because of the unreliable electricals
A buddy of mine has an old RoadStar with the 1600CC (or maybe it's the 1700CC) version of that engine. Never a problem. He went mile for mile, in heavy traffic and open road with the VTX and he had zero issues as well. I've never had a heating issue with the Harley either, but then that's just me.

Of course if one doesn't want it, then that's fair. That's the great thing about having options. They exist for a reason. Someone always will want an alternative, and that helps add color to the world. It would be a boring world indeed if we were only ever stuck one type of motorcycle.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
A buddy of mine has an old RoadStar with the 1600CC (or maybe it's the 1700CC) version of that engine. Never a problem. He went mile for mile, in heavy traffic and open road with the VTX and he had zero issues as well. I've never had a heating issue with the Harley either, but then that's just me.

Of course if one doesn't want it, then that's fair. That's the great thing about having options. They exist for a reason. Someone always will want an alternative, and that helps add color to the world. It would be a boring world indeed if we were only ever stuck one type of motorcycle.
That is because you live in canada. its not like you have heat waves year round. :D

I had one air cooled bike. It was a yamaha. Never again.......

even the vics (when they made them) which were supposed to be the most advanced air cooled motor ever. NFW. And I loved the cross country baggers they had.

Push rods, air cooled, whatever. I just don't see the allure of riding around on 70 year old technology. :dontknow:

but anyone else who likes them knock yourself out. There sure are a lot of pretty air cooled bikes and I am stoked to look at them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
That is because you live in canada. its not like you have heat waves year round. :D

I had one air cooled bike. It was a yamaha. Never again.......

even the vics (when they made them) which were supposed to be the most advanced air cooled motor ever. NFW. And I loved the cross country baggers they had.

Push rods, air cooled, whatever. I just don't see the allure of riding around on 70 year old technology. :dontknow:

but anyone else who likes them knock yourself out. There sure are a lot of pretty air cooled bikes and I am stoked to look at them. :thumbup:
Yup, for sure. No one says you gotta like 'em. Ride what ya like, that way it's enjoyable for you.

If you are stuck in traffic, at that moment, does it matter if the entire summer is 100+ deg F or if it's only 100+ deg F for that moment. I'd submit it doesn't make the slightest difference in that moment. You don't think it's colder here every day than Vegas or Phoenix is, do you? FYI, it can get hot here too. I rode a rented Ultra Classic in Vegas in 105 deg heat. Just like a hot day here.

You say you've seen air cooled bikes, smoking away. I can only share that I have not experienced that with mine, even in 100+ deg temps. Is it hot? Yeah, but so was my VTX. It's never smoked though. Anyway, this is not to argue the point, you don't have to like air cooled, push rod engined bikes. That is a valid opinion to have, here or anywhere else IMO.

·
Super Moderator
6,125 Posts
I've seen more than one reference to cruisers as "old man" bikes. Not having anything to do with the brand.

Most of us are too old these days to go looking for "chicks", at the bar or anywhere else. The women we might have a chance with are not as likely to climb on the back of a bike for a hookup. And might be more impressed and susceptible to the charms of a nice car, or SUV. As long as Harley doesn't start producing them, our Chevy Tahoes and Ford Explorers will probably work :)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Hey remove the badges from a VTX, you might have a chance!
Those days are long past for me anyway. If I'm at a bar, chances are my wife is with me anyway. She's the only one I care to impress anymore.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
One of the more common complaints in this thread is that Harleys are overpriced. To me, and free-market economist, the correct price is the price that most people are willing to pay. Price something too low and you will be chronically on backorder, (Note Harleys are often on backorder suggesting they are priced too low, the Honda VTX was never on backorder); price something just right and you have robust sales and the product is rarely on backorder; price something too high and you can not sell your inventory (the case for Honda VTX resulting in it being discontinued, but never Harley). So if we apply that fundamental definition to Harley Davidson, they are not overpriced because people keep buying them. On the other hand, if we apply that fundamental definition to the Honda VTX 1300 or 1800, they were overpriced because not enough people bought them to make them profitable. Honda was therefore forced to discontinue the VTX line after 9 years of market failure because of lack of customer interest. That is the Honda VTX 1300 and 1800 were overpriced.

Finally, declaring that something is overpriced because one can't afford it is wrong if there are, in fact, many people buying the product. The question one should be asking themselves is why can't I afford it, therein lies the problem.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
https://m.saks.com/pd.jsp?site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA:Mens_Pants:Balmain&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwtajrBRBVEiwA8w2Q8F7gwwCX-nMWINa1qu_E594lLomW9vrgRbu1C12gbmb7DlmLFD5hFRoCAW4QAvD_BwE&productCode=0400095294515

People are buying 1300 dollar "biker" Jean's, doesn't mean they're not over priced, only that there are some fools willing to pay that much.
It doesn't mean those not buying them can't afford them.
Secondly, HD is laying off workers and closing factories, can't be doing that great.
In that context, "overpriced" is an emotional evaluation, and is opinion, as it is not a fact / reality for everyone.

None of the bike manufacturers are doing exceptionally well, that's a sign of the times. HD isn't on a high currently, that is a fact.

As always Donnie ... a ray of sunshine >:)

41 - 60 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.