Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
yup. boring, no real changes, nothing exciting. IMO the writing is on the wall for Honda Motorsports to die. They haven't changed or updated anything since 2010-2013. same crap just higher prices.

Reactions: DarkShadow

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
I think it's really just the US market that they are having trouble with, and all makers really are. The 600CC sport market is dying a rather quick death. No one is selling a lot of 600's, why spend money on updating them,. Really there are only Kawi, Suzuki and Yamaha that have a pure modern 600CC sport bike. If the market continues, they too will languish with no updates until they die. The CBR600RR isn't even offered in Canada. The Fury isn't offered either, and what they do have for cruisers are, well, unique. Their naked bikes are very nice, as is the Africa Twin. They are investing in the Minimoto lineup, but I can't see that as being overly profitable in the US market. Really the standouts here are the GoldWing and the Africa Twin.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
I think Honda missed a great opportunity with the Africa Twin. It is a great purpose built bike, but not too many of these are seeing the terrain they were built to conquer. Rather, the competition are in the 150 to 170 HP range on heavier bikes. More suited to the occasional fire road and open highway.

I'm not sure why Honda always leaves horsepower on the table. I get it, they are reliable, and long lasting, and all of the things Honda, yet they rarely push the horsepower aspect. Even with the VFR1200. 170 hp! That should have been on every brochure. That was the selling point for the US market. Honda tends to lean in precision engineering instead if posting numbers. But, numbers sell bikes.

·
Registered
2002 vtx 1800 C
89 Posts
I think what Honda is missing is making bikes like the old Valkyrie but with the 1800cc or even make it up to 2000cc motor. If they would make a bike that looks like the Valkyrie but with the 1800, I would own one. The new wings have to many bells and whistle for me, more gadgets more problems.

·
Registered
I Ride
87 Posts
I want a Fury but no more room in the garage. Maybe come spring time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I respect Honda’s reliability and available parts etc I don’t have that much brand loyalty. I mean, I like what I like, regardless of who makes it. For instance if Victory was still around I probably would be ridding one right now. Polaris choose to go only Indian. I don’t really care for that line up. Having said all that, I bought a Goldwing DCT, not because it was a Honda but because I liked it. Probably the only bike Honda makes now that I would have considered.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
I'm not sure I totally understand the Fury. I mean it makes about the same horsepower as an early '90s 80cid carburetted stock Harley Evo. Clearly the technology is miles apart, and yet ... And a carbed HD 80" Evo was a pretty damned reliable machine. I get that it costs a lot less, but it's hard to not think that Honda left a lot on the table with the Fury. Not that it "needs" more or necessarily falls short, but another 20 or 30HP would sell a lot more bikes IMO.

Reactions: lofty

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yep! found my new long distance bike, NAVI

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure I totally understand the Fury. I get that it costs a lot less, but it's hard to not think that Honda left a lot on the table with the Fury. Not that it "needs" more or necessarily falls short, but another 20 or 30HP would sell a lot more bikes IMO.
I'm suprised Honda has keep the Fury in their lineup after all these years. It's not a bad looking bike for someone who likes this style bike. Honda is usually quick to drop a bike from their linup if the sales numbers aren't good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It’s is a lower weight, lower seat height cruiser. I wouldn’t say a 1300 is a beginner bike but a newer rider or smaller stature man or woman could ride this for a long time without out growing it or needing a extra 20 horsepower. I think it was a EPA reg that eventually switched this motor to fuel injection, saving the owner from needing a jet kit. There will always be a market for this. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I think the Fury is a joke. Choppers don't come from the store. And they sure as hell don't come from Honda. Harkon hit it right on the head. We were building chops that were more powerful than that dimestore joke out of used cop bikes in the early 70s. It's pathetic. Really.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Personally, I would never attempt to second guess a mega successful franchise like Honda, in terms of smart choices for a given year's lineup. With the economy as it is, the smart choice for 2022 may very well have been 'wait and see' and 'stand down for now on big changes'. What is boring is of course subjective, but I'd venture most who've waited for the new 2022 lineup are disappointed with the lack or any big change.

By category, scooters sold the most in 2021 with the Honda Click 125i outselling other makes. There is no indication Honda motorcycles is going to die out anywhere in the near future. Market-wise electric bikes sales are souring, so we can expect more electric bikes in Honda's future. The Honda Africa Twin did well in Germany and Italy last year, so Honda is going to be fine I think.

As for the 2022 lineup, I think the Honda Rebel will do well, for it's class. I'm actually amazed the Fury made this year's lineup. It seems like a bike that would have a very small market, but then again, if Honda is the only one making an affordable, raked 'chopper' that fills a demand, that could be why its still offered. Personally, I don't care for the Fury except for engine. It looks too much like a poorly done 'wanna be' chopper to me.

Honda Click 125i (121,902 units sold)

Source: The 10 best-selling motorcycles in the 2021 MDPPA sales chart
l

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Bought a new pcx 150 this year. Nobody really had them or some dealers were waiting for them to come in. Found a place 70 miles south of me as I traded my 2013 in on out. As for the last couple years not much chsnge on them.

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
It is important to remember that to a company like Honda, the North American market is a wanna have, but not a gotta have. They really play to a much larger audience. OTOH, some other makers have far more exciting offerings ... for our market.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is important to remember that to a company like Honda, the North American market is a wanna have, but not a gotta have. They really play to a much larger audience. OTOH, some other makers have far more exciting offerings ... for our market.
Rebels, Shadow 750's, Fury 1300. Honda doesn't have any interest offering anything beyond these models. Like you said there are other makers, other choices.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Honda products have been dead to me for 10 years.
The big cruiser market is too small for them to worry about so understandable.
I may have to keep my 1800 going until I die, still better than 99% of the new stuff out here imo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts