Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to clean out carbs/pipes? My VTX 1300 has a lot of gunk built up in them. I took it to the local dealership a couple months ago and they charged about $130 to "fix" it and now it is worse than ever. I've tried gas treatment and while that did blow out some of the deposits, it doesn't seem to be enough. Does anyone have any ideas?:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I believe someone on here (not long ago) said the best way is to take the carb off\apart and clean it. As far as pipes, not sure you would need to worry about them. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere on here to help with the carb cleaning... I'm just to lazy to look right now...

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
There comes a time when they a carb needs to be torn down, cleaned and reassembled. I've had to do it on old cars, neglected lawn mowers/tractorts but luckily not my motorcycles.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Does anyone know how to clean out carbs/pipes? My VTX 1300 has a lot of gunk built up in them.
In what...the carb or the pipes.
If you're pipes are extra black and sooty, then the carb is probably just tuned wrong. A carb wouldn't re-gunk up in a few months anyways.

Is your choke open / stuck open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for responding.

VACMAN: Both are my issue. Last time I tried to ride, I got about two blocks and as soon as I tried to pop into 2nd, it just died. Couldn't get enough gas through the system.

Poison: It's not so much that it re-gunked up, the dealership just wasn't thorough when I took it to them, so I'm trying to avoid taking it back. I checked the choke and it is not open. The carb may be tuned wrong - I'll have to check on that.

KD3NE, arebee, and TCB: I'll have to try those suggestions as well.

Thanks again! 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.