Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to fabricate, weld, and do the work myself on the rear tire and swing arm cheaper than it is to just buy the kit from honda direct? the kit almost costs half as much as the bike is worth. any other alternatives?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was thinking in the same idea, if you are an expert in welding you can modified your swingarm and will need the correct measurements for another guy with 240 just to save time , but anyway you need to expend 1500 dlls in wheels and tyres,

I have a friend that will do the cutting and welding for my bike but that will be until I have the wheel and tyre,

Will be good to know who modified his own swingarm and tips to do it .

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
red eye said:
is it possible to fabricate, weld, and do the work myself on the rear tire and swing arm cheaper than it is to just buy the kit from honda direct? the kit almost costs half as much as the bike is worth. any other alternatives?

This wide tire kit is a good example, of when to apply this wisdom:
"never build what you can buy."

To go on: just about anything is "possible", if you possess the skills and have the resources.
In the case of this mod, I doubt you will save any money by doing it yourself. Believe me, it looks "easy enough" but it's not.

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
actually there are several people on the board who rebuild the swingarm for a relatively low price. The best way to go about it is buy a swingarm off the board or ebay,have it redone, and then sell your swingarm once you replace it with the widen swingarm. (No major down time, and selling your swingarm should help offset the cost of the other arm and mod)

As for new fender and fenderstruts-- well you can try buying a used wide tire fender, or have a stock one split down the middle and widened. I always prefer to pay the money for a spare one and then sell the one off my bike once the other has been properly fitted. The cost for this depends on whose doing the work- and sometimes it may be cheaper to just order this part depending on how well you know a metal worker/welder.

Tires --- what can I say this is the part that sticks you-No matter what you gonna pay about $2k for wheels and/or tires. Just figure this in as a "luxury tax". The phat tire isn't a neccessity its a luxury. Oh you may be able to check around someone of the motorcycle junkyards and find a good set of wheels, but then you are still going to have to find a "SUPER_HUB" to make the wheels work. And right now HDL is the only one wth the Super-Hub and they only sell it with the wheels.

I'm thinking 2500-3000 on the cheap side no matter how you do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts