Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
that REALLY sucks :mad:

i dont like even thinking of kicking someones but, but i'ld possibly lose myself on that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If they hang around they're stand-up folks and must be forgiven. If they leave and you catch 'em, it's butt kicking time.

I agree, I can understand the mistake, as much as it sucks, I have backed into things I wish I hadn't (never a bike). But to leave the scene warrants a butt kicking indeed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hit a guys bike once, back right into it.... ooppppsssss!!!! I left my name and number for him to get his **** fixed and never heard from anyone!!! to bad people dont have enough respect for themselves to respect others, its just money and usually not that big of a deal for the insurance companies!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I hit a guys bike once, back right into it.... ooppppsssss!!!! I left my name and number for him to get his **** fixed and never heard from anyone!!! to bad people dont have enough respect for themselves to respect others, its just money and usually not that big of a deal for the insurance companies!
You got lucky dude. Your info may not have gotten to the person that owned the bike. If you left a note ? It may have got overlooked or blown away. If you told some one Well that says plenty :mrgreen: but' either way if that person would have called the law and turned your info in. You may have been charged with leaving the scene. NO THATS NOT A GOOD IDEA!! I'm with the majority on this board.You don't just hit someones bike / car/ truck / anything and just drive off. Thats wrong even if you are not intending it that way. You could still get your butt in more trouble than you would have by just sticking around. ;) and most of the time the insurance companies will NOT pay you what you have put into your ride and that sux. Some folks put their life into that ride for some a-hole to hit it and just take off.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
That doesn't sound like it was backed into...that sounds like it was ran over. nojoke Fortunately, when we go to the movies on the bike, there is a concrete island where the bike riders park their bikes. No cars can get to the bikes, but grubby paws can. I've only parked there twice and have never had a problem. I hate parking in regular spots when I can't see the bike and am away from it for awhile.

I hope the camera reveals the culprit. I'm seriously thinking about rigging up some kind of camera systems for our vehicles. I'm getting sick and tired of coming out to find dings, scratches and other marks on them, with no notes at all. :banghead: It would be worth the price just to see the look on someone's face when I eventually found and confronted him/her face-to-face. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well , The camera was too far away to get more than a fuzzy image of the event. They showed me the film. Couldn't hardly even tell that my bike was even there.:dontknow:
SNUSH :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When we got to the movies, there were only 2 parking spaces up front and visable. I pulled into the first one and then moved to the other thinking it would be safer. Boy was I wrong !
SNUSH :banghead::banghead:
Very sorry to hear that. Just curious, how did you park the bike, backed in or not, and then was is as far toward the exit lane as possible? I imagined since you said they backed into the front fender, that they might have seen a open spot from a short distance and then didn't look again when right up on the lane moving past a bit, then they backed in thinking no vehicle there. or you backed into your lane all the way forward and they just came in quickly without observation.

maurice

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Well , The camera was too far away to get more than a fuzzy image of the event. They showed me the film. Couldn't hardly even tell that my bike was even there.:dontknow:
SNUSH :(
NASA can digitally enhance the video. Why? Isn't this the exact thing you pay insurance for??? Pull your hair out worrying about the damage, the perp, etc................or grab a beer and let your insurance company handle it.

·
Old Goat
24,794 Posts
NASA can digitally enhance the video. Why? Isn't this the exact thing you pay insurance for??? Pull your hair out worrying about the damage, the perp, etc................or grab a beer and let your insurance company handle it.

You make perfect sense, but if it was me I would want to see the look on their face when I dotted that eye....but hey thats just me...good luck to the OP....

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Too bad for your bike but at least it can be fixed. I'd be more than pissed off myself if I were in you shoes. Its reasons like this that many riders park on sidewalks or some other area away from the general parking. I know when I park among the general idiots I typically do not pull into the stall very deep at all. I want the person to know my bike is there before they even think it's an empty stall and just whip into it.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Too bad for your bike but at least it can be fixed. I'd be more than pissed off myself if I were in you shoes. Its reasons like this that many riders park on sidewalks or some other area away from the general parking. I know when I park among the general idiots I typically do not pull into the stall very deep at all. I want the person to know my bike is there before they even think it's an empty stall and just whip into it.
:agree: I'm always out, almost in the lane so that anyone can see some part of the bike as their nubbernecking looking for an open spot.

You always see rubberneckers at the mall etc. looking for what seems like a empty spot only to race to it & find some small car or bike in there... saw someone plow into one of those smart cars that he parked too deep in his parking spot.

Sorry about your bike & insurance will fix it... but for me it will never be the same & share with your fustration & anger.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You make perfect sense, but if it was me I would want to see the look on their face when I dotted that eye....but hey thats just me...good luck to the OP....
I have no worries about the bike being fixed ! Like you said, thats what insurance is for. However, I would enjoy showing up at the azz hats door with a LEO and have that person explain to us why they thought they could damage my property and then get away with it by leaving the scene.There should have been no reason for this to happen but it did.I don't know why it happened,I did not see it happen.Accidents happen like it or not. But do not leave the scene. Take responsability for your actions ! Had I seen them hit and run my bike,I'm sure the heat of the moment would have taken over and there would have been a way different outcome.
As for the way I was parked. We were in a isle type parking space. The other vehicle was parked in a way that they could just pull out forward when leaving. I was parked behind them far enough that my back wheel was close to the entrance of my spot. Probably 6 or 7 feet away from the other vehicle.
SNUSH :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sad thing is even if you had witnesses and a film the LEO often will do little to nothing. I had a teen age girl hit my truck three separate times trying to park and even with two witnesses I had to do the homework my self just to run the tag. The officer that responded told me it was a "civil" issue since it was on private property. It wasnt until I went and got the info on where the girl lived and took it to the watch commander did anything get done. They never did charge her with hit and run and I took me months to get paid for the damage.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Sad thing is even if you had witnesses and a film the LEO often will do little to nothing. I had a teen age girl hit my truck three separate times trying to park and even with two witnesses I had to do the homework my self just to run the tag. The officer that responded told me it was a "civil" issue since it was on private property. It wasnt until I went and got the info on where the girl lived and took it to the watch commander did anything get done. They never did charge her with hit and run and I took me months to get paid for the damage.
Police have only the power of arrest. Unless they, themselves, WITNESS the incident nothing other than a report being made is usually done. They DO NOT have the power to prosecute. That decision is made by the public prosecutor. On private property or quasi-public property, any incident the officer didn't himself witness, can be investigated and a report made, if a supervisor deems it worthy of their time. YOU always have the option of collecting evidence and presenting it to the public prosecutor. Doing so does not necessarily mean it WILL be prosecuted.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts