Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TN>NC>GA on the Home stretch.
North GA to NC on US441 to Newfound Gap(webcam pic - that is us), Clingman's Dome(hike to observation tower).
Later to Gatlinburg.
Left G-burg riding on Scenic TN73 to Townsend then US 321 to ride new section of Foothills Pkwy.
Went north and headed back south, the new section is much more challenging than the old section that goes from US321 to US 129.
Old Foothills Pkwy has an observation tower, another hike.
US 129 south on Tail of the Dragon then west to Cherohala and Tellico Plains/Bald River Falls onto Etowah.

Etowah > Tellico Plains > Cherohala >back to US 129 to Georgia.
Fresh asphalt being applied on US 129 in the GA mountains.
Good news was that the rockslide that blocked US129 last week was cleared up.

We spoke to two groups of bikers from Canada.
The ones from Quebec, Canada we met on the new section of Foothills Pkwy.
The other group was from Ontario and we met them at Tellico Plains.
They rode the Georgia mountain roads the previous day and visited Helen, GA
Very nice to chat with them! Less potholes in NC and TN than in Canada apparently.

The big bike, originally I believe from "Wheels through time" museum, now at Cherokee Cycles in Andrews, NC

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
TN>NC>GA on the Home stretch.
North GA to NC on US441 to Newfound Gap(webcam pic - that is us), Clingman's Dome(hike to observation tower).
Later to Gatlinburg.

We spoke to two groups of bikers from Canada.
The ones from Quebec, Canada we met on the new section of Foothills Pkwy.
The other group was from Ontario and we met them at Tellico Plains.
They rode the Georgia mountain roads the previous day and visited Helen, GA
Very nice to chat with them! Less potholes in NC and TN than in Canada apparently.
I stayed in Gatlinburg for 1 week a few years ago. From WV with some friends. Then to Myrtle Beach.
Definitely worth the effort.

Our roads here are not too bad, but getting neglected more now than 10-20 years ago.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stayed in Gatlinburg for 1 week a few years ago. From WV with some friends. Then to Myrtle Beach. Definitely worth the effort.

Our roads here are not too bad, but getting neglected more now than 10-20 years ago.
G-burg is different. Wife likes it. It is close to the area I like to ride in. Several high altitude places nearby.

Much more traffic now than years ago. I have noticed failures in the asphalt, adjacent layers have voids and the surface is failing. The ride home on U.S. 129 was getting a new layer and they were doing something different at the edge. Maybe they have improved the process.

·
Old Goat
24,827 Posts
Good on you Hans....thanks for sharing...I rode up and down the street checking out the new shinko,but didnt take any pix...:grin2:

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good on you Hans....thanks for sharing...I rode up and down the street checking out the new shinko,but didnt take any pix...:grin2:
You should have headed east, only 308 crow miles to Etowah
Another choice would be 372 crow miles to Newfound gap at NC/TN line.
We could have run a few miles together!

Shinko - no more. It did not last long.
179,619 189,416 -9,797 Shinko 230TM 4/27/2017 - 3/23/2019 FRT Poor mileage TM=TourMaster

Pirelli MT66 were low cost and great mileage 13k to 21k miles, several in the 16-17k range

My new Michelin Commanders have a slight resonance like the Metz 888 rear had.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great rides for sure. I also like Hwy 28 form the South end of the dragon towards Cherokee. Enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing
NC 28 is amazing,from Deal's Gap to Franklin > Highlands(Bridal Veil and Dry Falls), GA28 in Georgia and SC28 in South Carolina to near Augusta where SC28 becomes GA28. Back a few years ago we would ride from Warwoman rd near Clayton, GA and go north on GA 28/NC28 to Highlands(free lodging) then head to Fontana.
Once or twice we rode SC28 south to I-85. Hiked on the lake Hartwell dam.

Not far away are the Whitewater Falls, Upper falls in NC, lower falls in SC.
Whitewater Falls is the highest waterfall east of the Rockies. The falls plunge an amazing 411 feet!
South Carolina's Lower Whitewater Falls drops another 400 feet.
$2 fee
From Cashiers: Drive south on NC 107 for 9.3 miles. Shortly after crossing the State line, turn left at the sign for Whitewater Falls.
Continue 2.3 miles to the intersection with SC 130, which becomes NC 281 at the North Carolina State line.
Just beyond this point is a sign for the entrance to Whitewater Falls.

A few more pix near Bald River.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great ride and pictures, Hans. I'm real jealous right now. Thanks for sharing the trip and pictures.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great ride and pictures, Hans. I'm real jealous right now. Thanks for sharing the trip and pictures.
You have great roads in your state. I have not ridden the VTX or any other MC in WV but I have seen pix from others.

I caged it from south of Winchester, VA to Seneca Rocks, to Green Bank, to Lewisburg. Very scenic!

Seneca Rocks was a nice hike!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You have great roads in your state. I have not ridden the VTX or any other MC in WV but I have seen pix from others.

I caged it from south of Winchester, VA to Seneca Rocks, to Green Bank, to Lewisburg. Very scenic!

Seneca Rocks was a nice hike!
17 of us have a 3 day/ 2 night trip to that very area and Northern Virginia August 23-25. Had to shift the route north last year to avoid Hurricanre Florence. We moved the trip up on the calendar to avoid peak hurricane season.

We actually have two Harley riders coming up from NC. We use Canaan Valley as a base where we rent a house that sleeps 18. Still one spot left. Care to join us?

If you're interested, PM me and I'll send a link to the route and other details.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Glad you could make that one. It sounds like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts