Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know (or have a trick) on getting the baffles out. I took the two screws out and i just cant seem to pull the baffle out. I called HK and they had to suggestions, they just said i was on my own once i got the screws out... any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I'll try to explain without pics. I did this to one yesterday.
Take a piece of wood approximately 1'X1 1/2" BY 2FT long. I cut a strip off a 1x6. Dont use anything round as it needs the corners to "grab".
I drilled a hole in the one end and slid a chisel through it (heavy screwdriver will work).
Slide the end without the chisel, of course, into the baffle about 6"-8". Press down on the stick a little wedgeing it in the baffle (up, right, left - just wedge it!) then pop the chisel with a rubber mallet or hammer. A couple of pops and they should break free.
Disclaimer - Heavy hitting for really stuck baffles requires a friend to hold the bike.....don't drop it!
Two things...I assume you have the end caps off (doh) and the pipes are secured to the bike.
Hope you got the picture in your head. Let me know how it comes out....pun intended :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
txvtx... thanks for the info.. sounds like a good idea... im at school now so i will have to wait to the weekend when i go back home and will try it out. When I called Hard Krome they said that I would like the sound with the baffles in anyways, which sound do you like better?!? thanks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I would not run with the baffles out but if you want it louder get some "straight through baffles" which really are not baffles but a smooth pipe that replaces the baffle. On our pipes when you pull the baffle you are pulling out the last foot of pipe inside of the chrome heat shield. Since that is the case the exhaust now will dump a foot forward in the shield but the shield is open on the back/bottom so it sounds real airy, like an exhaust leak. Second you loose most of your backpressure so you loose noticeable tourque. Third, you void the warranty against blueing the pipes so now the heat is not seperated from the shield by the baffle you could turn the last foot or two of the pipes blue/bronze.
Pull them out and take it around the block and you'll make your own decision. Clean them up while they are by hitting the ends where it meets the head pipe and the outer edge where the screw goes in with some steel wool or fine grit sandpaper and they will go back in much easier. Good Luck!

G

·
0 Posts
I removed the baffles from my HK 3’ers the other day. I was looking for a louder sound. Sorry to say I was not impressed. It was deeper and was not “louder” to me, and the bike ran like poo poo on my trip around the block. I immediately put them back in.
Here is the problem …. They sound quieter then they did before I removed them, and I still do not have all my power back, it’s not the sound I had before I took them out and put them back. Any ideas? It took some time to get them back in, but they are tight and the screws lined up perfect.
How about these “straight through” baffles? Will it be similar to the bad sound of having no baffles? I’m looking for louder not deeper…. thanks for the input !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts