Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Owners Report: 3 weeks of Fury

Hi all, I just found this group from a post on the furyforum. I'm enjoying reading the posts here. Think I'd like to stick around :)

My brief intro:

I'm a long time Honda fan, my first bike was a 1973 CB350G. I've had a number of Hondas bought and sold since then: CX500, CB750 Nighthawk. Prior to getting the Fury, my previous Honda 'cruiser' was a screaming orange 1998 1100 Shadow that I put about 50,000 miles on. Had there been a VTX available when I got the Shadow, of course, my ride would have been a VTX (probably the 1800). Aside from the Fury, I also still have one other Honda bike, a 1999 CBR1100XX that I've put 65000 miles on so far, and still loving it :)

Here's a short writeup that I did on the Fury phenomenon (and it IS a phenomenon !), reprinted with my permission, mainly because I'm too lazy to rewrite/paraphrase it :)

"Well, I've had this Honda Fury for 2 weeks now and it has been a phenomenal experience. I don't think that the marketeers at Honda in their wildest dreams could have imagined the reception that this machine is getting with the casual public. At practically every location that I park this bike at people are drawn to look at it and more than a small percentage of them want to talk about it. The casual public that I'm referring to isn't restricted to 'motorcycle enthusiasts', the appearance of the bike has touched the psyche of the non-motorcycling public as well. Perhaps the recent spate of 'chopper builder reality shows' has seeded minds with this aesthetic, I don't know, but the effects aesthetic recognition are there.
I have been a long time custom bike chopper fan, but the cost of obtaining one was always beyond what I am willing to pay.. a price of $30 to $40,000 or more is just too much for me to even contemplate. The idea of fabricating one myself holds a lot of appeal, but I don't imagine having the time to engage in a project like that till after I retire (if that ever happens !)..

So, along comes Honda who have decided to produce one. They wisely hired a team of AMERICAN designers who understand the genre very well and let them call the shots when it came to specifying the bike's style. Honda have proceeded to manufacture a mass production 'chopper' at a mass production price that I was willing to pay.

They've hit the mark dead center and as a result people just aren't leaving me alone when I park the thing. "

I mean it, I'm accosted about this thing EVERY time I take it out. Yesterday, someone in the Trader Joe's parking lot asked who the builder was, I explained that it's a stock Honda, Holy Crap, etc. We go our separate shopping ways. 15 minutes later he finds me again in the parking lot as I'm getting ready to leave: "excuse me for asking, but what model did you say that was again ?" I suspect that this gentleman may be hitting up a local Honda dealer soon..

I didn't get this bike to seek attention, I got it for the way it looks. It seems that a lot of people also like the way it looks.

I irony of this is that, to me, the biggest street bike news of 2009 is the release of the Yamaha R1 with that revolutionary cross-plane crankshaft. I doubt that very many new R1 owners are being deluged with questions/interest every time they park the bike, even though the R1 has completely rewritten the inline-4 game with that motor !

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome to VTXOA. As you can see the Fury has created a stir here as well. My nephew owns a BigDog Mastif. With some accessories he paid $35k for the bike. When we ride together his Bigdog gets big attention. Does not matter where we go everyone looks. Harley riders are the most attracted to the thing. There are always people looking it over when we park it. Just yesterday caught a guy taking a picture of my nephews Bigdog at a biker function We attended. Old, young, couples, singles all seem to be drawn to it. Glad to hear the Fury has the same effect on people. It has that ultimate classic look of a modern chopper similar to other choppers like Big dog. Right on Fury.:firstplace:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to VTXOA. As you can see the Fury has created a stir here as well. My nephew owns a BigDog Mastif. With some accessories he paid $35k for the bike. When we ride together his Bigdog gets big attention. Does not matter where we go everyone looks. Harley riders are the most attracted to the thing. There are always people looking it over when we park it. Just yesterday caught a guy taking a picture of my nephews Bigdog at a biker function We attended. Old, young, couples, singles all seem to be drawn to it. Glad to hear the Fury has the same effect on people. It has that ultimate classic look of a modern chopper similar to other choppers like Big dog. Right on Fury.:firstplace:
Thanks for the story about your nephew's BigDog. A BigDog, or something like it is what I'd like to have if I could bring myself to pay $$$ (I can't !). What you describe, all kinds of people being drawn to the appearance of a bike, is exactly what is happening with the Fury. Good for Honda (and me !) to have taken a BIG gamble on it.

Harley blew it on the Rocker styling (but not the Rocker Tail), I wonder what they will do ? It would be major turnabout if they have to 'imitate' the Fury (who are in turn 'imitating' the chopper builders) in order to increase sales :). If Harley did do that, they would have to claim that they are not imitating Honda, but rather they are paying 'homage' to American builders (just as the Japanese manufacturers had to claim that they were not imitating Harley, instead they were finding the 'essence' of the American motorcycle).

Before the getting the Fury, my taste in custom bikes tended towards the older high-tank and ape-hangers/pullbacks-on-tall-risers style (think Easy Rider Capt America). I'm getting to like the low-and-long look now after having Fury for a few weeks :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Obviously, you're the guy the marketing geniuses at Honda were targeting. I don't think a lot of us cruiser riders (myself included) thought that there would be this much interest in the Fury. I figured there'd be some, but not quite as much as it's gotten. Honda had to have done a good bit of market research to go as far out on that little limb as they did (for Honda, anyway), and I'm glad it's paying off.

I'm also glad to hear that the early owners seem to be overwhelmingly pleased with it so far. That's the kind of chatter Honda needs to stay competitive in the industry. Now hopefully they don't over-produce the crap out of it like they did the VTX1800's and the Runes, and hopefully they do more with that power train in the rest of the cruiser line.

Thanks for the info ... oh, and that Blackbird ... you made me drool, man.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts