Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

I am new to the board and a new 03' VTX 1800S owner. I have a question for all you seasoned X riders. My bike has 12k miles and is very well maintained. It runs and drives like a dream (a really awesome dream) but I have a small nuisance when it comes to third gear in that occasionally I have trouble getting in 3rd gear both going up gears and going down. Is there an shifter adjustment specific to 3rd gear? I have a heel-toe shifter. Obviously when going up gears the heel shift works almost always but if I toe shift it is 50/50 to whether I get in gear on first click, likewise going down.

Thanks for any input, :tools:

Don

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
.............as silly as it sounds, the RSTs or any heel/toe shifter all have this common issue. Most times all that is needed is a good cleaning and re-lube of the pivot bolt assembly...................... Many guys have made this a yearly scheduled repair.

Remove/clean/re-assemble the pivot bolt and go ride........................ Use a good grade water proof grease or lithium, moly grease at that point and all should be well again................

Show

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I really don't feel like there is a transmission issue, I figured it was a common problem but being a new rider I thought I woukld ask...that makes me feel better for sure I will use your advice and see if that fixes the issue...

:thumbup: DW

·
Registered
285 Posts
check this thread. Solved my problem completely
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289856

HI all,

I am new to the board and a new 03' VTX 1800S owner. I have a question for all you seasoned X riders. My bike has 12k miles and is very well maintained. It runs and drives like a dream (a really awesome dream) but I have a small nuisance when it comes to third gear in that occasionally I have trouble getting in 3rd gear both going up gears and going down. Is there an shifter adjustment specific to 3rd gear? I have a heel-toe shifter. Obviously when going up gears the heel shift works almost always but if I toe shift it is 50/50 to whether I get in gear on first click, likewise going down.

Thanks for any input, :tools:

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.