Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am impressed with the amount of light these 55w units put out.The lights are from wallmart $15.00.The clamps were $8.00 per at JP cycle.I upgraded the mounting hardware (chrome acorn nuts and bolts) from Ace Hardware.I used a relay $7.00 from radio shack.The on-off togle switch was $2.00 (walmart).
I did not want any exposed wires so I rerouted the wires from the rear of the housing to exit the top through the mount.The chrome buttons I used to plug the rear holes came from Ace for maybe a buck each.I covered the wires with heatshrink and exited them through the crashbars through rubber gromets.Very clean set of driving lights for around $40.00 bucks.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Man, that looks great. I love the way you hid the wiring. Was it tough to drill into the crash bars? I may have to reroute my wires that way. Looks really good.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
That looks great! Make sure you put a small stainless screw threw each of the light bezels or you may lose a cover.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bigpine, very professional looking, I can't tell where you installed your toggle switch, and did you run power straight from the battery? Looks great:bowdown:

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Im not a big fan of them (too many stories) but that does look professional, I could have bought several pairs for what I paid for mine.:dontknow:

·
Registered
782 Posts
As W9VD said, you may want to run a small stainless screw through those bezels. I had almost the same setup and lost a bezel on the way to Stone Mt. last year. I also had mine on a toggle switch, but after leaving them on while eating lunch on day, they really sucked the juice from the battery. So, after jumping the bike off I went home and took out the switch, did some re-wiring, and now have it so they are on only when the bike is running. BTW, your setup looks great.:tools:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Great job, I'am going to check into these lights also.
Nice pics also.
Any problems drilling into the side of the bars?
Thinking maybe a punch to get bit started straight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very nice looking, They look like they should be there :thumbup:

I got mine at Princess Auto for $15 with wiring harness and remote switch. Looking at getting Hick's possum pusher and hiding my lights in there.

Move that silly horn it just doesn't look right :lol::lol:
Here's where I moved mine to

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the positive response.Many have done this Mod so this was not my Idea.I just tried to take it to the next level and make it look extra clean.I did secure the bezels with a small screw as some have suggested.
For the wiring I came straight off the battery to the Relay (mounted under the seat in front of the battery) and then straight to the lights.The negative wire came from the lights back to the battery.I installed the switch just under the seat (frame) between the side cover and the head cover as shown in the pic.I triggered the relay with the dark blue and white stripe wire in the headlight bucket.This kills the power to the lights(same as the headlight) when the starter button is pushed or when the ignition switch is turned off.The toggle switch was mounted on the battery side of the relay on the trigger circuit. Drilling through the clamp and crashbar was easy (with a sharp 5/16 drill bit)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Very Impressive!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dont need to sneak out .My bike sleeps in my bedroom ! :doorag:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks Bigpine for the postup. I'm thinking of doing the same mod. I like putting the driving lights on the crashbar. It looks appealing to me. Just want to make sure and it maybe a dumb question but, did you use the main light as the power source to trigger the relay?

PS. Good taste on the bike and color. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Very clean and professional looking job. Hope you don't mind if I copy it. They blend in smooth, like if someone didn't point them out you wouldn't notice them. All right that sounds bad that was supposed to be a compliment. Someone that dose not know the X wouldn't notice them because they blend in. Great job.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Question about the light wire route? I have the same set I was going to install under the triple tree but did not have enough clearance:-x. My lights have a hole in the back where the wire comes out but I don't see that in you pics? Did you reroute through another access hole? They look great by the way and have been thinking of the same approach was just having trouble locating the brackets to install on the crash bars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice set up. Thanks for the detailed pics also. I was looking to do something like this in the near future and will definetly consider your set up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool

I would love to show you where I set them up on my VTX but not enought post, I will post on few others threads in come back. But those do look good

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lights

What do you think? They are bright

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bigpine, good looking, good job. I'm looking for the clamps at J&P cycles, but can't seem to find them. Do you recall the PN or name they'll listed under? Thanks

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Bigpine, good looking, good job. I'm looking for the clamps at J&P cycles, but can't seem to find them. Do you recall the PN or name they'll listed under? Thanks
They appear to be 3 piece frame clamps (kury magnums are slicker looking), I got similar ones from JC whitney. good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts