Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
* should be "sights" * i'm dumb

A buddy of mine and I will be heading out to the Dragon next week along with some of the other nearby destinations. I'm in the Tampa Bay area and it'll take us a good two solid days of riding to get there, then we'll have a couple of days of riding and taking in the scenery while slaying the Dragon, Hellbender, and the Cherohala Skyway. On the way back, will probably come down the east coast and hit Savanah, St Augustine/Anastasia, and then returning home. No interstates! Just some nice cruising all the way up and back, camping at the various parks along the way. I've never been to any of these destinations and haven't ridden in the mountains other than in a cage. This will be the longest trip I've taken on a bike and I can't wait until I hit the ignition and begin the journey next week.

My wife calls it a mid-life crisis (will be turning 40 tomorrow). This is why she's not going. Wish me luck and hopefully I'll see some of you while I'm out there next Friday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live too far away to get to the dragon any time soon, so good on ya for taking on the dragon, i'm sure it will be an experience you won't soon forget.:thumbup:
BH

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

from the dragon, consider this:

Take the Cherohala Skwy to Tellico.

(in Tellico you can eat at Kats Deli, just as you come into Tellico, off the Cherohala on the right, or come on into Tellico and eat at the Tellico Cafe, also on the right, both awesome places to eat, the Kats Deli is good food and great scenery)

68s to 60s awesome ride, down past Ducktown.

When you get to 74/64/40 go right, it'll take you down past the Ocoee river. Stunning scenery.

Go right on 30, when you get to Reliance, go right again on 315. These 2 roads are as twisty as they get.

Turn right on 39, and then right again on 68/165

That's about an all day ride.....

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Enjoy it will be a fantastic trip. I went there 2 years ago and it ranks among my top 2 or 3 trips ever.

You can get a little preview of whats to come from my signature below:doorag:

Also this picture is proof positive that the 03 Black 1800C is the fastest VTX. That faint blur behind me that has not yet even entered the curve is a 03 Black 1800 R.

Unfortunately what you can't see in the picture is LaMont on his M109 who is in front of me and I was struggling to keep up.

By the way HAPPY BIG 40!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I also live in the Tampa Bay area and wish I were going as well. I went last fall and the year before that. Personally I like the Cherahala parkway even better than the dragon. Scenery is better and the roads and people are nice. Had some great conversations at rest stops. The Dragon is fun too, but mostly its just a lot of sharp turns that our cruisers are not as well set up to handle as the sport bikes. Consider running the Dragon during the week, rather than weekend. Traffic is lighter and the LEO presence is less.
I went to the Dragon via the east coast, including the outer banks of NC, and up through Maryland and New Jersey and New England and back down past Skyline Drive and down to the Dragon, all of which was a hoot. I came back to Tampa via New Orleans and Biloxi.

Again, wish I were going as well. I'm out in Nevada right now on a temp assignment.

Take lots of photos.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts
You'll love it. Just don't spend too much time on the dragon or at the resort. It's a novelty and you have to do it for sure, then people watch and get a drink or whatever for an hour, then head out. The roads around the area are far superior and much safer. Have a great time and stay safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Went down for memorial weekend... Some of the best riding i've done to date!!
Don't forget to do the hellbender as well I believe it is highway 29 that heads south east of the dragon. Any of the parkways trough the park are just great!! its really riders God's country down there!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also from the Tampa area and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville. about 2 weeks ago. Didn't make it to the Dragon but the riding was awesome! You'll love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Be There With You

:thumbup::thumbup:
Four of us are leaving Richmond Va on friday 6/19 and travelling the blue ridge parkway to ashville nc. we should hit the dragon on sunday/monday and then spending the rest of the week with day trips. no agenda just ride til we want to stop. Hellbender and the cherahola pkwy are on our list as well as going a little more south into ga or ala if time permits. it's 11 days of riding to wherever and back. ride safe and i'm sure i'll wave to you somewhere out there

·
Registered
246 Posts
Former Tampa native

I left Tampa in 93 and moved to the Gatlinburg Tn area and now I can ride the best rides in the country. Everyday I feel lucky to just crank up the X and ride the mountains. If I can help you guy's in any way, or you just need a 'local' to ride with send me an email and I'll give you a cell number [email protected]

VTXx2 Jerry

·
Registered
300 Posts
BIG NEWS

The newest road in WNC is 281 from 107(Tuckaseegee) to 64(Toxaway)it is a must ride!!!!!!
Hope to see yall out there!!!! you need anything [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts