Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
You guys are not asking or seeing the obvious...

- A US soldier that fought in Iraq...not an immigrant terrorist that so many pontificate over...do we 'spy' on each other? Hmmmm...that sounds like the beginning of (fill in the blanks)
- Visits FBI...they note it and . But no check on guns...that's right..anybody can get a gun in Alaska as there are no rules but 18.
- Why could he fly in the first place...and no background checks when he checked his gun into cargo?
- Speculation...but I do love the 'I will save you if I was carrying' crowd...what's the first thing someone does when hearing shots in locations not expecting such...ducking for starters, then trying to figure out where it is coming from, then, and only then, seeing if there is something one could do to help, through all the HUNDREDS of people running. Or get tackled by some 'hero' thinking you are the bad guy when you pull you CCW. Pulling out my concealed carry and running towards the shooter will only get you shot by the police (there were there in seconds). I know...waive the CCW license...that might save you. Now...if you were in the bathroom and followed him out, Johnny on the spot, who knows...you could be labeled a 'hero'. We do love our heroes.

The reality is we can not truly defeat terrorist acts. Been going on for centuries. If someone is hell bent to kill others...if there is a will, there is a way. It is still speculative if he was indeed a Islamic terrorist...regardless...he did indeed cause terror. We live in an angry world.

Bull
Actually, he walked into the FBI offices in Anchorage With a gun, complaining of voices, they TOOK the gun, referred to an exam, and then RETURNED SAID GUN when he was DECLARED FIT by some doctor..... want someone to blame, blame the person(s) that did that exam....

Alaska is 18 for Open Carry, 21 for Concealed carry, BUT they still do a background check AND you still must have a clean record - with no gun restrictions... This is as it should be in every state........

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
My thoughts go out to those involved in this as well as their families.

Actually, you can carry a loaded firearm into most airports including Florida. The terminal areas are considered sterile which means you can't go through TSA with any kind of weapon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Your Country allows very few to have guns, and so law-abiding people there do not carry them. In days gone by we would see bobbies with nightsticks only. Nowadays we see them with semi-automatic rifles. Why would that be necessary in a Country that already has repealed "stupid gun laws that allow firearms to be carried at airports & other public places by any maniac who wants to kill someone for no apparent reason"?

Great question.
Another question is why do our largest cities with the strictest gun laws have the most gun related violence?
The answer is obvious with anyone with a brain.
If I understand you correctly what you are really saying is that many of our "leaders" in government do not have a brain. If that is what you are saying then I agree! Guns do not kill people, other people with hate and evil in their heart do.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Hey eperk...yes...there many cases...but I notice you failed to mention the recent case at Wallyworld parking lot and the collateral damage that came with it. The debate of gun free zones will go on forever...as there as many cases of a good well intentions not going so well. I believe I just read a story of a good guy getting shot by the cops...but I could be mistaken. Roof was not in a movie theater by the way. And this guy was at the baggage pick-up...many airports have no gun free zones in these areas, it is outside TSA. If it was gun-free...how can one pick up their gun? The question should be asked...this guy flew from Alaska to Florida...to shoot people in the baggage claim??? Really???

So, my take...many CCWers have never shot in any combat scenario, never shot at a moving target, never shot in a crowd of chaos. Heck...many CCWers never practice at all. We indeed live in a dangerous world where guns are both a savior and a curse. I wish it wasn't so, but do not believe it will get better (gun free zone or not). There are many set on destruction. I prefer not to knee jerk to news stories or the 'fog of war' that both live to seed the couda, wouda, shouda crowd.

You pulled your gun and shot someone in such a scenario??? Not for self-protection one-on-one...but in a airport, movie theater, stadium...places that have large number of people? In a gun free zone? Do tell...so to speak.

Be well
Bull
Bull my point is that I would rather have the odds tilt more in my favor by having good guys with guns in situations like the ones mentioned. Without going into detail, when I lived in the Middle East I was in more than one "been there done that situations". Several times in areas where there were outdoor cafes. Nuff said about that.
Hope you and your family are doing well. Haven't seen you around here much lately.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
If I understand you correctly what you are really saying is that many of our "leaders" in government do not have a brain. If that is what you are saying then I agree! Guns do not kill people, other people with hate and evil in their heart do.
That first paragraph is a quote from Vtox. I have to give him the credit for that one. But yes many of our govt leaders do not have a brain.
BTW what part of Bama are you from?

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Bull my point is that I would rather have the odds tilt more in my favor by having good guys with guns in situations like the ones mentioned. Without going into detail, when I lived in the Middle East I was in more than one "been there done that situations". Several times in areas where there were outdoor cafes. Nuff said about that.
Hope you and your family are doing well. Haven't seen you around here much lately.
I would too eperk...in my favor so to speak. However, I just think 'running to the fight' can surely cause unintended consequences far beyond 'odds'. Let alone the lawsuit aspects. I just think some folks that carry do not truly 'reflect' on such scenarios. And not all guys that carry guns are truly 'good guys' when it comes to using a firearm. Regardless, my apology...I forget you spent some time in SWA/ME and I can indeed understand your experiences. There...everybody carried a gun...a citizen militia of sorts. I'm pretty sure that would not work here though...too many hot heads and wanna bees.

Family is doing very well thank you. I started doing some strategic/tactical leadership/advisory for the DoD, thus been busy. Lots of snow right now...and lots of challenges we collectively face. Be well my friend and most importantly to me personally...safe.

Bull

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Actually, he walked into the FBI offices in Anchorage With a gun, complaining of voices, they TOOK the gun, referred to an exam, and then RETURNED SAID GUN when he was DECLARED FIT by some doctor..... want someone to blame, blame the person(s) that did that exam....

Alaska is 18 for Open Carry, 21 for Concealed carry, BUT they still do a background check AND you still must have a clean record - with no gun restrictions... This is as it should be in every state........
You are correct Duane...however, he also had some domestic disputes that should have red-flagged him. He more than likely was also diagnosed with PTSD...and should have been further red-flagged concerning firearms. The system failed. I do believe that Alaska is pretty liberal when it comes to guns: http://smartgunlaws.org/background-checks-in-alaska/. However, very much agree with you on checks and further though...loss of gun rights if deemed having mental or threat to others.

Bull

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
My thoughts go out to those involved in this as well as their families.

Actually, you can carry a loaded firearm into most airports including Florida. The terminal areas are considered sterile which means you can't go through TSA with any kind of weapon.
Thanks for clarifying that W9VD...it was what I was trying to imply. It was NOT a gun free zone as some seem to think. However, it does make one wonder, and it has been discussed at some of the highest levels...moving TSA to outside the terminal area. There are a number of challenges with this as not all airports are created equal or designed the same. In this case, it would not have mattered.

Bull

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Alaska > No death penalty.
Florida > Top ten for executions over last 8 years.

Martyr?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Read the story again. This guy was not "legally" carrying the gun. It was in his checked baggage, which he retrieved after deplaning.
Refer to the last quote on this page.

You can't carry it there and he was in violation of the law, Sir Clownsalot.
Wrong, & yes l do "Clownalot", but that's my choice, & l'm just glad that l didn't use such derogatory words to another member or l'd be on another week's ban!!!

Gee...I wonder if the Mods will 'fine' you for calling others names. I suspect not...

Bull
I doubt it!

Which returns me to my post that sparked all this off & I will stand by a repeal on gun laws.................:wink2:

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Which returns me to my post that sparked all this off & I will stand by a repeal on gun laws.................:wink2:
I completely agree with you on repealing these gun laws. Do away with every one of them and let the 2nd stand on its own.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
I completely agree with you on repealing these gun laws. Do away with every one of them and let the 2nd stand on its own.
In our case - an armed society is exactly what we need... It would be Anarchy for a while, but they'd get over it!

I can't count the number of times I've walked into a grocery store, hardware store, or liquor store and seen someone with an open carry weapon...
Even Bars, where people are actively Drinking, you can pretty much count on a few being armed... And the ONLY incident I can remember is that AHOLE State Trooper that was married to Palin's sister, or some other family member, was getting chit-faced in the Mug Shot in Wasilla - out of uniform, pulls out his badge and his Service weapon and starts threatening everyone is the building...

State of Alaska doesn't have the highest Per-Capita in gun ownership, (Montana?) they're still pretty damn common.

Reactions: W9VD

·
Super Moderator
63,722 Posts
For the new snow flurries we are having here;

Been seeing more and more personal attacks these days so I thought it would be a good time to go over the rules again.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated, this includes name calling especially of the derogatory type. By this I mean the slang words of any group, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc....

Consider this to be your FIRST warning. The second warning will come in a reply to your post with the name calling in question quoted for all to see. If we see you do it a 3rd time, you will be banned.

We're not talking about words like idiot, moron, maroon,jack-ass, etc...

Keep it clean, keep it friendly is what we are asking
Sir Clownsalot, is hardly derogatory. Heck, I've been called worse by a kindergarten class :rolleyes:

Unless of course, you were born a clown

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
You are correct Duane...however, he also had some domestic disputes that should have red-flagged him. He more than likely was also diagnosed with PTSD...and should have been further red-flagged concerning firearms. The system failed. I do believe that Alaska is pretty liberal when it comes to guns: http://smartgunlaws.org/background-checks-in-alaska/. However, very much agree with you on checks and further though...loss of gun rights if deemed having mental or threat to others.

Bull
Well, according to last night's news, it was actually the Anchorage Police Department that returned his weapon to him.
They pretty much had their hands tied once he was declared "FIT" So, Yes, the System Failed, Big Time, not only him, but the Public as well. And I think whoever it was that declared him fit should also be getting a review.

A conviction for domestic violence will get flagged, that's for sure. But - as far as I know, it has to be an actual conviction, and among other things, what you get is a new Driver's License or State Issued ID with some kind of red mark embedded in it - No guns, No Booze, and background checks will see the conviction.
My wife and I get checked EVERY Time we stop at a local liquor store. Even though it Very Obvious we're both over 21, we still have to show our ID for any purchase.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
For the new snow flurries we are having here;

Sir Clownsalot, is hardly derogatory. Heck, I've been called worse by a kindergarten class :rolleyes:

Unless of course, you were born a clown
Totally agree Spike...what you do indeed get is kindergarten. But I do note you opening the door to such...good luck.:wink2:

Bull

·
Premium Member
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Totally agree Spike...what you do indeed get is kindergarten. But I do note you opening the door to such...good luck.:wink2:

Bull
Let it die already, Sir Tattlesalot.

Reactions: PCX
21 - 40 of 80 Posts