Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, once you've stopped laughing out loud and picked yourself up off the floor, please help me with this question.

Which gear do you normally use to maintain 55 to 60 MPH? Or, asked another way: Can I do any harm to my machine during the break in period using all that torque at low RPMs?

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Jim

Still grinning!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It'd be best to avoid lugging the engine during the break in period, that could damage it. It'll do 40 in 3rd easily. Don't baby it too much.

Do a search, shift points have been posted repeatedly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
55 to 60 MPH

You are always better off keeping the engine rpm's in a higher range than lugging the engine. Higher R's keep oil pump and water pump spinning faster for better lube and cooling needed for a 'tighter' new engine. Taz

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i'll cruise at 50mph in 4th, if i shift to 5th at 50 and give it some gas it shakes and kinda chugs.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Each bike is different

2 up go into 5 as I pass 60.

Slow crusing 50 or so.

Just ride her she will let you know when to shift

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I never used 5th unless I was over 60. Just seemed to be lugging it to much?

·
Registered
679 Posts
There is no absolute answer. It all depends on many parameters.

If I am just cruising down a straight and level road without any wind effect I would shift into 5th at 40 mph. If I was still accelerating, I would not shift until a minimum of 50 mph. If I was enjoying myself, getting up to freeway cruising speed, I would shift at an average of 80 mph.

Much of it is "becoming one with the machine".

As you put those miles on your bike, you will phase from being a rider to becoming part of the assembly of man and machine. You will develope the habit of revving a little higher before you shift as you demand more acceleration.

Try these shift points for different demands:
10-20-30-40
15-30-45-60
20-40-60-80

Just ride it and have fun!

8)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I, too, experienced lugging in 5th at state speed limit of 55 and often need to cruise at 60-65 to smooth out 5th gear. I believe this monster would feel much better cruising in 5th around 75mph. Where I live, there are no superhighways, mostly rural country roads and two lne blacktop with deer, woodchucks, creatures big and small, slow school buses and such. So, during daily travel I'm always looking to smooth out 5th.

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
I cruise up to 70 in 4th before I realize I have one more gear. Unless I'm dangerously low on fuel then I short-shift and will put her in 5th at 50mph and pray for a gas station. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts