Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
anywhere from 35 to 65
If cruzin down a 35 mph road I will put in 5th
pulling out in traffic I wind them on out......

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
?Not really sure what awesome cin is talking about....5th gear at 35?
At 35mph in 5th gear you would be really Doggin them gears
I'm just shifting into 3rd at 40mph, 4th at 60mph, 5th at 75-80mph

·
Registered
443 Posts
?Not really suer what Awesome Cin is talking about....5th gear at 35?
Yeah man...Hiway A1A 35mph in 5th yields 60+ mpg. from Jax to Miami.....sweet.. By the way the manual says shit at 31mph....
But you can also wind it way out if ya like..

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
the book says shift at 31 mph
I ususally hit it at about 50 - 60

·
Registered
353 Posts
Owner's Manual Shift Speeds

The shift speeds in the manual are for best fuel economy. They seem ridiculously slow/conservative to me. The less we wind out and the earlier we get into 5th, accelerating smoothly, of course, the better the mileage. It's kinda' hard for me to not wind out more than that. I've experimented a little with shift speeds, and the shift speeds in the owner's manual seem to be the slowest shifts possible without lugging the engine. It's all about personal preference, I guess.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I shift into 5th at 60 mph, any slower and it just doesn't fell right or sound right to me. but i do like to ride in the power band that gives me good response when i twist the grip. Also down shifting one gear and hiting the throttle she will scream! I hate to lug an engine, plus if you realy need to move in a hurry you are SOL.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I only shift into 5th when I think I'm going to be riding at a steady pace for awhile, usually at or above 50. Anything below that and the bike seems like it lugs when accelerating. I like the ability to "speed out of trouble", so I keep it in a lower gear than is suggested. The manual is really conservative and that is a lot of shifting in town. Many times I skip a gear - 1st, 2nd, 4th; or 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th. I just love getting on the Xway, getting to 80mph in 3rd, and then shifting to 5th, and enjoying the smooth, almost soothing transition that goes with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shifting

I keep it around a shift every 10mph but I've been known to crank it up around 60 before I get to 5th. A left over from my VLX that only had 4 gears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts