Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently retired so set out on a little trip. Left May 14, and returned home June 28. I stopped in and visited friends and family along the way and met some really nice people. Out of the 6+ weeks there was 15 days I did not ride.

This link shows the route I rode.

I have some pictures uploaded of the second day. The first days was Phoenix to El Paso and don't have pictures of that day.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800C Illusion Blue, V&H pipes, K&N a/f, mustang seat w adj rest, Memphis shield, MTC clutch
308 Posts
Currently setting up a 2 weeks+ Adventure down through Louisiana thru Texas then up to Colorado then over to Idaho. It be 2 vtxs and a mtO7. Not got everything dialed in yet, but it looks like the last week of august thru the first week or so of September. Last 3 week adventure was in May-June of 2018. Need to wear out some more tires.
.. . .Mike(TTT)

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Currently setting up a 2 weeks+ Adventure down through Louisiana thru Texas then up to Colorado then over to Idaho. It be 2 vtxs and a mtO7. Not got everything dialed in yet, but it looks like the last week of august thru the first week or so of September. Last 3 week adventure was in May-June of 2018. Need to wear out some more tires.
.. . .Mike(TTT)
Remember pix or it didn't happen!

Reactions: TTT

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Long ride, interesting places and rides.
Once you got onto US 129 near the Little Tennessee River and traveled SE to Fontana Dam and beyond you were in the area I have traveled frequently. In Clayton I see you headed
to SC then over Lake Hartwell.
I use GA77 or GA17. Royston is home to Ty Cobb. Never knew until I rode through there.
Madison, GA had a fiber route in that area. I take US 278 instead of I20 most of the time.
Covington, GA may go there for fireworks tomorrow. Brown's Bridge rd to GA20/GA212
just 5.7 miles from the house. GA 20 the round-a-bout at East Lake and Airline Rd are my
most common roads going south.
Been to Ranburne a few times going to Mt. Cheaha, AL. Rocket city(HNVIAL). My son and I went to Nashville and came down Natchez Trace, US 72 to HNVIAL.
Looks like you had a great ride!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have posted a few more pictures. I found that when I travel alone I do not take as many pictures. There are just so many pictures you can take of your bike.

Still more pictures to come in the near future.
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You came within a mile and a half of my house in Lexington! How many miles did you put on the bike?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your retirement. Jealous. :)
Second of all, when people say "I took a trip", they usually end up going 1 or 2 states over. You toured half the country! Definitely a very long ride. Must have been interesting planning with weather etc. Unless you didn't care and just rode through all the rain.
And third, I agree with others here, we definitely need more pictures! (y)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And third, I agree with others here, we definitely need more pictures!
I loaded more pictures. But I found I did not take as many pictures as usual when I am riding this other folks. I just enjoyed the country side and kept riding.
I hope to put a ride report together, just so I can remember what it did. Which I should get going on before I forget.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
US129 photos has pix of you on ToD.
LOL, I saw the photographer. I did go look later at the US129 website. I was the first cursier/tourer category photo of the day. I left Kick Stand Campground early, hoping to beat some rain. I was raining at Fontana Dam. You can see that the wind shield is wet. It was a wet day. I holed up in Maryville TN that day drying out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently retired so set out on a little trip. Left May 14, and returned home June 28. I stopped in and visited friends and family along the way and met some really nice people. Out of the 6+ weeks there was 15 days I did not ride.

This link shows the route I rode.

I have some pictures uploaded of the second day. The first days was Phoenix to El Paso and don't have pictures of that day.

Ride Safe.

View attachment 191733
The wife and I did the Big Bend area last September.
Ride Big Bend
Did you by chance see the ruins of the Benedict mansion set from the movie, "Giant", when you stopped at the Air Force weather balloon station on Hwy. 90 between Valentine and Marfa?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did see them. If it was not for a sign stating that this was the location of the movie Giant I would have thought it was a abandoned farm/ranch. I want to get back to Big Bend next March/April.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to do what I did and get a dash cam for the bike. ( front and rear preferably ) And like in mine not only does it do video but has a little button on it that when pushed takes a picture and it is a good quality picture and of course you will have all the video of the whole ride.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What kind of camera do you have? Can you post pictures of your setup?
The wife has this cheap Amazon (Go-Pro knockoff) cam mounted to her helmet, but the mounting options are darn-near limitless.
Amazon Go-Pro knockoff cam
The WIFI download to your phone is a bit clunky, but the video and still photos are really good. Audio is pitiful mono or nonexistent in the waterproof enclosure, so I just edit in public domain music or leave the blissful silence. It was cheap enough to take a chance on. All of the road video from our Palestine, Texas tour was filmed using this. ridepalestine.tumblr.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts