Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! I just bought an 1800F and the dealer mentioned seeing me when I'm due for my 600 mile maintenance. It only took me a couple of weeks and I'm ready... except that a buddy of mine reminded me to check my owners manual because while the 1300 requires a maintenance the 1800 DOES NOT. :dontknow:

I have since had a conversation about what to do with several other neutral folks, and the general consensus is that I should at least get the oil changed. Everyone's reasoning is that it's a new engine that could have metal shavings and other contaminants in the oil from being broken in.

I believe Honda may have done something in the manufacturing process to avoid this first oil change with the 1800s and would like to avoid an expensive maintenance if possible. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
Welcome to the board and congrats on your new 1800F. F means it's the fastest. As for the oil change personally I would go ahead and do it and have the oil replaced with synthetic. I'm sure other people will chime in on this.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I have ALWAYS changed the oil after a short break in on anything I have ever bought that uses oil, new or used (includung lawn mowers, chainsaw, compressor, cars, etc.).

I don't have any proof it helped (or hurt), but I always felt better about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also just bought a 1800f model. I have 800 miles on mine now. The dealer calls for, to change the oil at 500 miles. I did mine at 580 miles with synthetic. Also I did my shaft oil. 4.2 onces of gear oil. Congradulations!:congrats:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Welcome to the board. As for changing the oil, I never heard of too many oil changes. I would do it (did mine when I first got it) as it's always good to get clean oil in after the first few miles. Lots of crap generated in those first few.

Enjoy the ride.

Jthree

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would change the oil and filter and check some nuts and bolts and thats it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I asked my dealer about break in and he said just ride it how you're gonna ride it. First sevice is not due untill 4000 miles:yikes: the owners manual confirms this but that did not sit well with me so I changed the oil and filter at around 800 miles just to make me feel better.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
here's summary from a few sources

____Engine Oil (R); replace crush washers
____Final Drive Oil (R); use 75w-90 oil or Tapper "Gear Gravy" mix
____Brake Fluid (R)
____Clutch Fluid (R)
____Throttle Play (A)
____Steering Stem (I)
____Shock bushings (I)
____Valve lash (I/A)
____Engine Idle (A; set idle - 900-950rpm)
____Fasteners (I)
____Axle Bolts (A; loosen and retighten)
____Fork Pinch Bolts (A; loosen and retighten)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
First, I have always changed oil at the 1000 mile mark and then on the multiples of 5K after that.
Secondly, I keep petroleum based crude in the engine until at least 5 or 10 thousand miles to ensure good seating of valves etc. (rightly or wrongly), then switch to Mobile 1 Racing 4T or Amsoil.
Third, changing the oil yourself is very easy, document the date and miles, keep the receipt, and save a ton of money!
Remember that there are TWO drain plugs, lightly coat the filter seal, fill it as recommended, and ride.
Not altogether necessary but recommended is to buy a floor jack - plenty of threads on this. I bought mine from Autozone or Advance for cheap - works well and I can perform any service. Great bike - good choice!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Maintanence

I would change the oil and oil filter. Leave the rearend lube along because it has moly in the factory lube to help in the gear break in. You will not need to replace the drain plug crust washers but use a torque wrench to reinstall the plugs. I use Walmart super tech 7317 oil filters. Good Luck and enjoy your "F"

·
Registered
787 Posts
Congrats on your new F and welcome to the Forum!:congrats:

I agree with pretty much what everyone else said too. I would like to add something though. I picked up a "new" 2006 1800r in June. I noticed the brakes seemed a little spongy and read on here that it is due to the rubber brake lines flexing and that is also what the dealer told me. I decided to switch over to synthetic fluid for brakes and the clutch since I do that on all my vehicles. I found crud in all 3 reservoirs and the fluid was a deep gold/brown color. After switching, the braking and clutch control was vastly improved. I only had about 100 miles on the bike when I did this. I think the fluid was just old from sitting for 3yrs with no use in the crate/showroom.
I changed the oil when I brought it home and I changed the final drive oil at 1000 miles.
I don't think any of this would need to be done if it truly was a new bike.
These are new 1800's but the fluids are put in at the factory when they were built. Just something else you may want to check.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Congrats on your new F and welcome to the Forum!:congrats:
These are new 1800's but the fluids are put in at the factory when they were built. Just something else you may want to check.
All the fluids come from the factory, EXCEPT, the engine oil.
Its installed at the dealership, and suppose to be done at customer delivery.

·
Registered
787 Posts
All the fluids come from the factory, EXCEPT, the engine oil.
Its installed at the dealership, and suppose to be done at customer delivery.
Did not know that but I do know mine had oil in it already. They must of put it in when then took it out of the crate. Not surprised!

·
Registered
631 Posts
600 miles oil change is very important. You have a new engine that is starting to jar together and creating a lot of microscopic burr into the oil. After the 600 mil oil change I went to 3000 miles and change to synthetic oil and also replaced the final drive with synthetic. Now I change just the oil filter every 3000 miles and top of the oil in the engine. My next full oil change was at 10,000 mil and once again I changed the oil in the final drive..... my next oil and final drive change will be at 20,000, as for the rest follow my owners manual. everybody has there own opinion as for what is the best way and i have learn greatly from VTXOA but it still up to you how often and what kind of oil you want to use....oh yea I use amsoil.....so good luck and enjoy your X:cool:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
These threads come up a lot. There is no real answer here for oil change interval, type of oil, or break in specifications.

The Oil change interval is 4,000 miles or at least annually according to the manual. If you choose to follow that, great. There are plenty of people out there that do just that with the Honda GPN4 non-synthetic oil and have no issues.

There really are no break in specifications. Worse, there are about 400,000 different opinions on how to do it. I read in the manual that you should take it a bit easy to 300 miles, but whatever. There are many people on the board who rode it like they stole it from the beginning (me included).

The bottom line is - do what you want, it is your bike.

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
A couple years ago I was in the process of getting a job with a local Honda dealership. When the economy started to tank the job offer fell through. However I did pick up little tidbitts of info while training for the job. One of which is this: With a brand new bike, you wanna ride it like you stole it. The reason being that it sets the rings in in the motor. There really isn't a break in period on new motors any more. If you ride it hard it will run like a scalded dog. If you baby it, it will never live up to it's full potential. At least that's the word from Honda.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.