Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had this service done, I didn't know an oil change DID NOT include the oil or filter. Has anyone else had this happen? I was told the $225 for the service included the LABOR only for the "oil change" and the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was going to have it done till I read about the cost and what is done here on the forum. So I'm doing it myself!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I'll be doing my own from here on out, but I 8) like to get the first one at the dealer so now it's on record as being dealer serviced.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Did they actually adjust your valves, or just check them. And how do you really know...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Heard the same thing.. over 200 plus parts. I said F THAT and changed the oil myself and will get to the valves after we have "VTX 101" down here in Tucson.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you are gonna DYI then you gotta still DO IT! Get the service manaual and ask questions. Those valves must be checked and are often too tight at 600. Its not rocket science, but experience helps and small hands help too. Search for more info at this site.

prs

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
prs wrote
Its not rocket science, but experience helps and small hands help too.

You know what the ladies say about guy's with small hands.

Just messing with ya man.....Not lookin to start somethin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bubbaloo said:
Did they actually adjust your valves, or just check them. And how do you really know...
Exactly. Just drop some candle wax across the bolts to the rocker covers. You'll know if those bolts came off when you get the bike back.

I just bought my 1300s and the stealer tried like mad to get me to prepay the first two service visits on the spot. They wanted $700.00. After I stopped laughing, I declined. Then, after I said no thanks, they marched me into the service department and had the service manager give me an obviously preprogrammed speach about "if you don't prepay the service, you will be considered a "non preferred" customer and your bike will be in the shop for at least 2 weeks, otherwise you go to the front of the line". What a bunch of cr$%p.

If you can turn a wrench, you can adjust your own valves. It literally doesn't get any easier to adjust the valves on the vtx. I encourage everyone to adjust their own valves. Soooo easy. These dealers are really giving themselves a bad name for what they are trying to take from customers.

But, cody had a good one. Pay for the first one, have it on record, ask the tech what he might found loose, etc... and never go back..

later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts