Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up on needing my 600 mile services so I called my dealer to find out how much it was going to cost me and what was going to be done. He stated that it included an oil change, cables tightened if needed, fluids checked and replenished, and he said that they would make sure that it was breaking in properly, etc. This is for $119.00.

I asked him if it included a valve adjustment and he said no and that it wouldn't be necessary until 15K-16K miles. What are your feeeling about this? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Bubbaloo said:
I thought valve adjustment was very important at this mileage.
It is :wink:
DentalRep - pretty much what your dealer is offering is a $119 oil change.
I wouldn't let my bike go to 8K without a valve check let alone 16K. Most everyone who has checked them has found a few to be out of spec.
One poster a few days ago had the entire rear way, way too tight - with not a lot of miles. Valves will seat the most in a new engine early in it's life as they seat themselves onto the head, reducing clearance.

IMO, find a dealer who is willing to follow the service intervals specified in the owners manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had my 700 mile service done last week. My stealer charged me $235. They changed the oil, filter, final drive lube, tightened cables, and adjusted the valves.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Mine was $196 for all the above, including the alve adjustment. I recommend you take it to a dealer and have it done. My valves were off and had to be adjusted. Typically I would do the maintenance myself but could hear that the valves were off. For the first service I'ld definitely let them check it out just to cover the waranty (specifically regarding any potential with the valves later on).

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
$175 at my dealer, taking it in this afternoon for it's 1000 mile check up. Checking and adjusting the valves is very important, plus they go over it and check nuts and bolts. It's also a plus if you ever go to sell it (not that you would) to be able to tell folks it was dealer serviced.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Orange Beast said:
I was told $285 by Purcells and $240 by Honda on Atlantic
Bought mine @ HOJ on Atlantic, in March, and they wanted $345 for the 600 mile service. I bought the Helms service manual that is referenced in the owners manual that came with the bike. for $65 and did the 600 mile inspection & oil change myself. Took me three hours, taking my time. It is difficult reaching some of the valves to check them, but with patience, I believe that anyone mechanically inclined enough to get the tank & seat off can do this service themselves. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cody450 said:
$175 at my dealer, taking it in this afternoon for it's 1000 mile check up. Checking and adjusting the valves is very important, plus they go over it and check nuts and bolts. It's also a plus if you ever go to sell it (not that you would) to be able to tell folks it was dealer serviced.
In my experience, people liked the fact that I kept a log of every service inspection and the findings, with reciepts for replacement parts/fluids, and another log of every problem encountered w/ reciepts for the fix. Also reciepts for every add-on . I was told, "Wow, you treated this thing like a baby!" ... DealerShmealer :p My buddy w/ the 1800 took his bike to have the front tire replaced and the dealer dinged/gouged the front locking allen screws and the forks taking the wheel off (I asked him why didn't you take it off yourself?, this is what I got :roll: ) I've heard too many instances of dealer induced damage to want to take mine there, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.(failed part still under warranty comes to mind) But hey, its your money, spend it like you want, besides, you can't take it with you! :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cody450 said:
1,000 mile check-up? My service maintenance schedule says,
600 miles, then 4,000 miles, then 8,000 miles, and so on......... :?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
storminnorm80 said:
Cody450 said:
1,000 mile check-up? My service maintenance schedule says,
600 miles, then 4,000 miles, then 8,000 miles, and so on......... :?
yeah, ok, kind of a belated 600 miles service. My shadow Aero had 1140 miles before it's first service. A few extra miles isn't going to faze it a bit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just picked my bike up yesterday from the stealer who did my 600 mile service according to the Honda Maintenance Schedule which includes valve adjustment. My cost was $216.38. The bike was running noticeably better than before. Must have done something right. :)

On another related item, I bought a pre-paid service plan offered from my stealer. They will do the first 6 scheduled maintenance services for $1,099.00. This will include replaced parts, oil, filter, plugs, air cleaner, etc. Anything thats marked to be replaced by the Honda Schedule. The stealers labor rate is 42.50.hr and that is included in the program also. It seemed to be a good deal (adjusted for inflation) over 20,000 mi.

·
Registered
768 Posts
the stealer did my 600 $319 check/adjust valves oil/filter final drive oil change they checked the bolts to i can see some of the marker used to see if it was loose turned but i still hear the light throttle knocking told it was normal

·
Registered
977 Posts

I asked my stealer like three times about the valves and he told me that it was not necessary until the 4000 miles service. He would listen to the enginee though and if something was wrong he would check it out. He asked me questions about how the bike was running. The worst part is that I ended up paying 240 for whatever they did-NOT VALVES- and I think it was a rip off. On the other hand I am not a mechanic and I didn't know which way to go. There are guys here that are convinced the valves have to be checked at 600 and then I read that most dealers wouldn't do it in the first service. I will do it in the 4000 service but they will never get me again with an oil change and filter. I am no mechanic but that is very easy to do. I hate dealers. Plus you have no idea if they are really doing what they are charging you for.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have around 4000 miles on my bike right now and just checked and adjusted my valves myself.
I like so many others took my bike to dealer for 600 mile check of which they said they would check valves. That consisted of starting the motor and listening to it run to determine if the valves were ok. I went to 3 dealers to ask about 600 mile service all said they would not check valves only listen to engine and that they would be able to tell if it was ok. I finally told them all to get off I would do my own service and they assured me no problem on warranty as long as I kept reciepts on work I had done and to keep records.
To make a long story short I had my bike back to the dealer 2 or 3 times for some noise in the engine which I told them it was in need of a valve adjust and they said no it sounds ok. I finally got my appointment and then decided to do the valves myself. I have never had anyone service any vehicle I own, I do all my own repairs.
Upon checking the valve lash I could not believe what I found. All my valves were way to tight. I mean way to tight. I adjusted the valves with a lot of care to ensure everything was correct. Put it back together went for a ride and could not believe how much better this thing now runs. Valves are quiet no ticking, right on the money.
Told my son it was like I gained 15 hp. Plus my miles per gallon went up considerably over were it has been in the past.
My point they won't check normaly only listen and that just don't cut it. If you want it done and know it was done and done right do it yourself.
I called the dealer about the valves and their remark that they were ok. Told them what I found and that they needed to reconsider how they determined if valves need work or not. They were blown away and couldn't believe they could have been so wrong.
Point being you have to use the proper method to check these things. You can sometimes listen for major problems but the only sure way is to check them right.
Do your own service just keep good records of what you do and spend the money on something else. Because unless you get someone good that will check the right way you are paying for something your not going to get.
Off my soap box now.

VTXLee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts