Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of BS stories out there and I am just curious. How many people have ACTUALLY experienced or have DIRECT KNOWLEDGE of clutch slippage due to the type of oil they were using. NOT hear say, but DIRECT knowledge. And not because of adjustment or worn out plates.

I am just curious if anyone has ACTUALLY experienced this or if it is just something the dealers have put out to try and sell Honda oil. I have never actually know anyone who has experienced this phenomenon.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The suspected cause of clutch slippage based on oil type is mostly credited to the manufacturer suggestion not to use full syn oil as it could cause clutch slippage. Personally I use Honda oil, always have and will continue with it as my preferance for my VTX"s and goldwing. I've used all types of oil in other bikes w/o any problems both wet and dry systems.
The issue has been argued cussed and discussed on all boards and I don't believe a general agreement will ever be reached. In my opinion clutch slippage is related to the way in which the individual operates the bike more than anything. Wether or not the clutch will began slipping sooner due to oil type is based on the individual conception of what actually causes slippage or some other reason for being interested in promoting one oil over another.
So regarding your question if this inquiry is like most regarding oil the feed back will be varied.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sho-Me,

But you did not answer the question. I am a nuclear engineer and have a master in physics and I understand all the technical related data. I just want to know if anyone has ACTUALLY experienced this because I think it is just BS like most of the stories about oil. I have done extensive research and use full synthetics in all I own and always will, but I have NEVER experienced clutch slippage or NEVER known anyone who has.

I believe it is just another propaganda story.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Actual testing done by me, in my 1240CC Turbo KZ dragbike
Amsoil and Mobil 1 gave me better 60 ft. times than dyno oil, showing me that there is NO WAY, even under the increased stress that it was causing my clutch to slip more than with regular MC oil.
The Amsoil gave a slightly better (and more consistant) overall ET
Royal Purple caused my 60 ft times to wander (clutch slippage ?)
Red Line, for some reason gave alot of missed shifts, and since my bike
was shifted on an RPM switch triggering an air shifter, that would end the run for me. (and it's damn $$$$$)
Overall synthetic gave lower operating temperatures, drastically reduced parts failure, and better/closer times.
When running your hobby on empty pockets, not braking stuff is a good thing. (I't those damn Hyabusa boys that ended my fun, guys like JC :D )
Sooooo, take it for what it is.
I run Amsoil in everything I own now.
Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
208 Posts
slippaage

There are numerous tests and articles on this that have been posted in different magazines etc. The best I have read was in Road Bike last year. there have been no known cases of clutch slippage due directly to the oil itself but could happen with additives.

·
Registered
99 Posts
GameCockX said:
I know there are a lot of BS stories out there and I am just curious. How many people have ACTUALLY experienced or have DIRECT KNOWLEDGE of clutch slippage due to the type of oil they were using. NOT hear say, but DIRECT knowledge. And not because of adjustment or worn out plates.

I am just curious if anyone has ACTUALLY experienced this or if it is just something the dealers have put out to try and sell Honda oil. I have never actually know anyone who has experienced this phenomenon.
I changed oil in my last bike and didn't have any motorcycle oil at the time I changed it. So I used Quaker State's regular energy saving oil used in my cars for years.
I can tell you my clutch did in fact start slipping after that of which it had never done before. It took several oil changes to get it to stop. I never had done this before but was changing for winter and did not want to pay 5 bucks a guart just to drain it out in a month or two when spring came.
Won't do it again because I wasted more oil trying to get the clutch back to normal. The oil did make it slip though. Hope this answers your ?. I thought it was bull myself but now know it is the truth

·
Registered
332 Posts
the problem there might have been the "energy saving" part. from what I've read you should never use these in MC's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I actually formulate oils for a living! The problem with clutch slippage is mostly due to the use of friction modifiers (an additive component) in passenger car motor oils. They are added to increase the fuel economy for automobiles. A motorcycle oil is formulated without them. Also, because of the inherent properties of synthtics, most of them do not contain friction modifiers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use mobil 1 and no problems here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys,

Kind of what I thought. I use shell rotella T syn in bike and mobil 1 in autos, easier to get than amsoil. Even though I think amsoil is a very fine oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts