Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GASP! I just made my 8k maintenance appointment and the Mech. told me that it will take 5 1/2 hours! What is all included... From what I see is change the spark plugs and oil and inspect everything else... but 5.5 hours?

Am I missing something?

Russ

·
Registered
199 Posts
SKCM2006 said:
GASP! I just made my 8k maintenance appointment and the Mech. told me that it will take 5 1/2 hours! What is all included... From what I see is change the spark plugs and oil and inspect everything else... but 5.5 hours?

Am I missing something?

Russ
Russ,

Yes, you'll be missing...

5.5 hours x $75.00/hour

I'd say you'll be missing about $412.50 :roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
It includes:
-bearing checks
-brake checks
-new plugs
-valve adjustment
-oil and filter change
-throttle and clutch inspections
I believe thats about it others will chime in if I forgot. I just had mine done but on top of everything I needed 2 new tires. I paid $744.00 for my 8k service. Cosider yourself lucky!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GASP!! And I think I need a new rear tire!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mechanic told me it would be $330. I thought that sounded steep.
Maybe I'll let him do it after all

Only thing is...I have almost 8500 now and will probably hit 12k by the end of the season. Will it hurt if I skip the 8k and have him change oil, filter and plugs at 12k ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did my own... got the book and tools and took care of things myself... then I put the $400+ in my pocket!!!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
about half that time is for the valve adjust, most charge you but don't do it.

Get the manual and do it all yourself

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How will I know they do the valve adjustment?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Knowing?

Gee thats simple, I used to take one of the easy covers off and put a piece of something in there, usually a strip of thick mylar plastic. If I got the bike back with the mylar still there I would know they were dishonest, If I was asked or told there was something in there that didn't seem to belong I would expect good service.

Used this all my life, best time was when I shot an Elk in Ak and some other hunters tryed to claim my kill, They got arrested by game warden on the spot when I showed him my business card under the tongue of the criitter.

Works for me.

notofthisworld.

Oh, make sure it isn't something thats gonna melt or mush up in your motor if you do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.