Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding all across America on our current bikes, we have decided to start looking for a new set. I'm comfortable waiting for Honda to get with the program and come out with some new traveling machines, but my wife is in the mood for something new next summer.

Get with the program Honda.............:evil:

Roads we've travelled so far.

Next summer we do the eastern seaboard, and I think that will be the last big trip for the X. Of course, that is all depending on Honda's new models that I'll be looking forward to purchasing this time next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
WOW!!! That's GREAT!!! Wish I could have traveled like that.

I have a question but PLEASE (readers of the board) don't hijack this and turn it into a different discussion.

Who did or does your maintenance on your bikes during all the riding?
Did you have a preference in tires?
(gulp...here goes) What oil do you use and how often did you change it?
That it! Nothing more from me...

....except Merry Christmas

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Rickie, you may want to check out the new Kawasaki Voyager. It may be too heavy for your wife, I think she rides a Suzuki Boulevard now as I remember, but it may be perfect for you. Don't hold your breath for Honda to come out with a bike to replace your VTX.

·
Registered
160 Posts
:congrats: That is wonderful. I wish i had the time and money to travel like that. I'd probably have to do it on 4 wheels as the wife won't ride on 2.
Good luck picking out new rides and Merry Christmas. Roy :mcrider:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW!!! That's GREAT!!! Wish I could have traveled like that.

I have a question but PLEASE (readers of the board) don't hijack this and turn it into a different discussion.

Who did or does your maintenance on your bikes during all the riding?
Did you have a preference in tires?
(gulp...here goes) What oil do you use and how often did you change it?
That it! Nothing more from me...

....except Merry Christmas
I do the maintenance
I love Avon Venums
Synthetic Mobil4TX Racing 30-40 (that might not be exactly correct, don't have a bottle laying around).
Started using it at 4,000 miles, and change every 4-5,000 miles.

Merry Christmas to you as well....

·
Registered
675 Posts
Truly awesome. I've done only the east coast. So, what roads would you list as "don't miss", if someone else were to follow in your footsteps?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Where and how do you do your own oil changes every 5,000 miles on a 95,000 mile cross-country trip?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Where and how do you do your own oil changes every 5,000 miles on a 95,000 mile cross-country trip?
I can not imagine he did almost 100k miles in one trip, if he did likely friends places or parking lots somewhere. I have not done it but as cheap as I am and for what they charge to service a bike I bet I could get creative if needed

Not being hostile to your post at all, these are just my thoughts about what you mentioned HDKLR

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not sure he said it was one trip. just said he did 95K miles and showed a great map. Would love to hear more.

Pu.l.e.a.s.e don't turn it into another oil thread....

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
That is a bunch of ridding:D. I got to say you missed out on some awesome scenery by not going on north when you were on the west coast. HWY 1 right on into Oregon is beautiful. But with all that ridding, I'm sure you seen plenty:thumbup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
god man that looks great to see the country on a bike :congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Pu.l.e.a.s.e don't turn it into another oil thread....
I can only assume that is aimed directly at me. If that's the case, no worries here, man. I don't give a damn what anyone else uses for oil. He could be using olive oil for all I care. I just wanted to know where and how the guy is changing his oil on the road. If it wasn't 95,000 miles in one shot, I guess the question is moot.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just for the curious........
My oil USUALLY gets changed every 4-5,000 miles, but there are times that it last a few miles more.

Our longest trip was from MI too San Deigo and back. That one was about 7,500 miles. On that trip we wish we had the time to make it up to Oregon and Washington, but we just didn't have the time. Next summers trip will be along the east coast, the one planned after that will take us toward Alaska, and that one will include traveling down the west coast to upper California, and back. The only one left after that will be along the bottom of the country.

Then repeat........

So you can see why we are now looking for a new set of bikes. My X might make it, but we are looking for something new.

Roads that are a must to travel along?
To many to mention, but here are a few:

• Big Sur - California coast just south of Monterray
  • Traveling east coming down from from Big Horn Mtn (Code Wy - Sturgis SD)
  • Traveling west from Taos NM - Farmington NM
  • All the roads up in the CO rockies.
  • west coast of Lake George NY
  • Monument valley area
  • west coast of Lake Michigan (beach towns / sand dunes)
  • east coast of Lake Huron in Ontario Canada around Tober Morry (sp)
  • the entire province of Nova Scotia, especially Cape Breton
  • Many roads around Jackson Wy
  • Needles in SD near Mt Rushmore
There are so many places that are not on the list, but you get the idea. We even enjoyed traveling through the desert during the hotest part of the summer. Those experiences usually produce the best stories....:D

If you haven't seen our video of the 2008 Americade trip, here ya go.
PRESS YouTube

I am in the process of uploading the California trip of 2007 again. It disapeared for some reason.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Nice video....I live in NY and never made it to Americade....too bussy that time of the year. Thanks for taking me :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice video. Thanks for sharing! Roy:cool:

·
Registered
877 Posts
:p thank you for the video.snow on the ground.maybe it will be gone new year's day for the polar bear run.your video makes me want to ride.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Great video Rickie. Thanks for sharing!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
What do you do with a bike with 95,000 miles on it ? Do they have any trade in value or do you park it or ??

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
+1 on the west coast of Lake George. If you head a bit further west, lapping the Sacandaga Lake is a great ride as well.

I hope to be able to do a three-day run around Lake Erie this year. That should be another good one.

And Americade is a fun time to be at Lake George. :)

I most likely won't fill the map like you two for years, at least until my two young ones have left the nest. That's about 10 years from now, and with any real luck, I can retire around that time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts