Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only got 120 miles on my brand new '05 1300 Retro but I'm kinda disappointed in it. I traded in a Suzuki Volusia on the 1300. So far I'm not impressed with the 'get up and go" of the 1300 - not noticably quicker than the Volusia. Plus, when I use the front brake I get kinda a grinding sound and the engine makes a lot of noises I'm not used to from a bike. I won't even go into finding nuetral after I've stopped.

Am I just overreacting and things will get better when I get more miles on the bike or is there possibly something wrong. I'm not a newbie, I've been riding bikes on and off for a long time.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
they do have some noises i grant you that, :p
it is new and you are breaking it in.
but i don't understand the stop finding neutral :?
plus my front disc are not grinding or anything
out of the ordinary.

i'd take her by the dealers or if you got a bud
in a bike shop.

i'm super pleased , hell i opted away a
HD 2004 fatboy for my 1300R. :p
plus saving 8 grant was added incentive :wink:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
That sounds like break in noise prolly. Give her a thousand miles, and switch to synthetic oil asap. 8)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the volusia before the X also. Big improvment. The X is way more bike in my opinion. Much better on top end. Give it time, it will grow on you.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
If I were him I would sell it fast and go get another zuki.

·
Registered
289 Posts
disapointed?

granted my bike is heavily modified, but my uncle has a volusia, and i hardley ever ride w/him b/c if i'm behind him i almost run over him and when he's behind me forget about not even close and he's an experianced rider.

·
Registered
550 Posts
As a former Suzuki Volusia owner myself (ACHR on the Volusia Owner's League or Intruder Alert), I feel compelled to respond. I can only hope you had the opportunity to test ride a VTX 1300 before plunking down your dollars. I was fortunate to have 3 VTX test rides prior to committing, (solo, with my wife on board, and with a 210 pound buddy on the back). The Volusia is a GREAT bike in its own right and you are correct that the engine and gearbox of the VTX are noisier although I've not had any problems finding neutral after stopping. I also hear some noises from the front brake but that is usually under very light braking or after having just released the brake. A light stab of the brake lever resets the caliper and I don't hear the noise any more.

So why would I switch to the VTX if the Volusia is such a great machine? Primarily, for two-up duty. The VTX doesn't do anything the Volusia couldn't but it does a whole lot of things easier. My wife rides with me A LOT. There is no comparison between the two bikes when it comes to effortlessness and stability, ie comfortable long haul cruising. If she hadn't gotten into the sport and I was still predominantly commuting and travelling two lane back roads, I could be totally content with the Volusia, probably even more so with the new fuel injected Boulevard C50. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for that machine.

As you have stated, the VTX 1300 is not noticeably quicker than the Volusia. The key word here is NOTICEABLY! The VTX is in fact significantly quicker/faster/higher top speed.

Volusia 0 - 60 mph = 6.22 seconds
VTX1300 0 - 60 mph = 5.12 seconds

Volusia 1/4 mile = 14.4 seconds @ 89.41 mph
VTX 1300 1/4 mile = 13.5 seconds @ 95.64 mph

Volusia Top Speed = 110 mph
VTX 1300 Top Speed = 113 mph

Volusia Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 14.73 pounds per hp
VTX 1300 Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 12.26 pounds per hp

While the quarter mile differences don't look that much different, in reality, the VTX would be ahead by at least 16 bike lengths and probably closer to 20. Consider that the VTX is carrying this out while being hampered by a 2,000 rpm lower engine redline, much more weight, and considerably taller gearing.

Now what happens when you throw a 140 passenger on the back. All of a sudden, the horsepower to weight characteristics take a huge shift.

Volusia Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 18.24 pounds per hp
VTX 1300 Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 14.68 pounds per hp

When my wife got on the Volusia, there was a considerable drop-off in performance. On the VTX, I hardly know she's there. The ride quality also really comes into its own when the VTX is loaded up with passenger and full saddlebags.

While the VTX1300 is no crotch rocket, it makes a fine highway cruiser (freeways included) while being nimble enough for everyday around town riding and commuting. At this stage of our lives, it suits my wife and I to a tee. At some point, there may by a Goldwing in our future for an eight week trip around North America but the VTX will be my ride of choice for shorter trips.

Here's a little performance chart that may interest you.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ghakala/bike%20fastest1.htm

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Clayton Root said:
As a former Suzuki Volusia owner myself (ACHR on the Volusia Owner's League or Intruder Alert), I feel compelled to respond. I can only hope you had the opportunity to test ride a VTX 1300 before plunking down your dollars. I was fortunate to have 3 VTX test rides prior to committing, (solo, with my wife on board, and with a 210 pound buddy on the back). The Volusia is a GREAT bike in its own right and you are correct that the engine and gearbox of the VTX are noisier although I've not had any problems finding neutral after stopping. I also hear some noises from the front brake but that is usually under very light braking or after having just released the brake. A light stab of the brake lever resets the caliper and I don't hear the noise any more.

So why would I switch to the VTX if the Volusia is such a great machine? Primarily, for two-up duty. The VTX doesn't do anything the Volusia couldn't but it does a whole lot of things easier. My wife rides with me A LOT. There is no comparison between the two bikes when it comes to effortlessness and stability, ie comfortable long haul cruising. If she hadn't gotten into the sport and I was still predominantly commuting and travelling two lane back roads, I could be totally content with the Volusia, probably even more so with the new fuel injected Boulevard C50. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for that machine.

As you have stated, the VTX 1300 is not noticeably quicker than the Volusia. The key word here is NOTICEABLY! The VTX is in fact significantly quicker/faster/higher top speed.

Volusia 0 - 60 mph = 6.22 seconds
VTX1300 0 - 60 mph = 5.12 seconds

Volusia 1/4 mile = 14.4 seconds @ 89.41 mph
VTX 1300 1/4 mile = 13.5 seconds @ 95.64 mph

Volusia Top Speed = 110 mph
VTX 1300 Top Speed = 113 mph

Volusia Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 14.73 pounds per hp
VTX 1300 Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 12.26 pounds per hp

While the quarter mile differences don't look that much different, in reality, the VTX would be ahead by at least 16 bike lengths and probably closer to 20. Consider that the VTX is carrying this out while being hampered by a 2,000 rpm lower engine redline, much more weight, and considerably taller gearing.

Now what happens when you throw a 140 passenger on the back. All of a sudden, the horsepower to weight characteristics take a huge shift.

Volusia Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 18.24 pounds per hp
VTX 1300 Horsepower to Weight Ratio = 14.68 pounds per hp

When my wife got on the Volusia, there was a considerable drop-off in performance. On the VTX, I hardly know she's there. The ride quality also really comes into its own when the VTX is loaded up with passenger and full saddlebags.

While the VTX1300 is no crotch rocket, it makes a fine highway cruiser (freeways included) while being nimble enough for everyday around town riding and commuting. At this stage of our lives, it suits my wife and I to a tee. At some point, there may by a Goldwing in our future for an eight week trip around North America but the VTX will be my ride of choice for shorter trips.

Here's a little performance chart that may interest you.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ghakala/bike%20fastest1.htm
Well said as always. Thanks for the input Clayton Root!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
dont forget the few HP mods you can do, pipes, rejet. that made a whole lota differnce for me.
I have the same "neutral finding thing" when stoped, you get used to downshifting into first before you stop, then its not a problem.
or you can just let the clutch out a touch, pull it back in then its no problem. there are lots of threads on this subject, do a search to find them.
aslo that problem decresed considerable after switching to amsoil. and it quites the motor down some too.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
OvErKiLL{N99} said:
:lol: :lol: Bigdog 1 , :lol: you funny guy :lol: :lol:
This is the kind of post that only Clayton Root can answer. He is by far the best spokesman for the 1300 going away. Honda should pay for his bike :wink: I just hope his is not red :lol:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
[quote="OvErKiLL{N99}":u10kxexd]:lol: :lol: Bigdog 1 , :lol: you funny guy :lol: :lol:
This is the kind of post that only Clayton Root can answer. He is by far the best spokesman for the 1300 going away. Honda should pay for his bike :wink: I just hope his is not red :lol:[/quote:u10kxexd]

Damn good point Bigdog. Why add the extra color when black and chrome is all you need.

·
Registered
238 Posts
JohnFT,

I,ve been on this board about 3 years and your not the first one to have this type of trouble with these Bikes. I have one, love it(can,t word it as good as Clayton) but really don't want nothing else.

When I first got it I had trouble shifting into neutral---clutch travel was set way to loose. Tightened up travel to specs and never had a problem since. Could be your problem, maybe not. Honda gears are a little different from other makes.

Like other fellows said---switched to synthetic(Mobil 1 red cap) after 600 miles and to me my bike shifts and sounds a lot better. amsoil good also.

Brakes not to sure but there,s a few brake guru's on this sight.

oh yea, I forgot----I hope you bought a Black One. :D

just my opinion,

operator

·
Registered
759 Posts
I can't coment on the power subject other than to say that I have been quite impressed with it, especially riding two up. I do find the nuetral thing confusing as that's the only probelm I have with riding my X, but mine is opposite. I find nuetral too easy, and hit it while shifting from 1st to 2nd about 10% of the time. I guess it's due to a longer gear lever throw than my old bike and I just need to get used to it, but it is odd finding others having the exact oppsite problem with it. I guess it just shows you all bikes (and riders) have a personality of their own 8)

George

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the good advice, except Bigdog 1 :D , everything everyone said was helpful.

I'll give it some more time and when I do the 600 mile check, I'll change to synthetic oil and have the dealer look into the front brake. John

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
JohnFT said:
Thanks everyone for the good advice, except Bigdog 1 :D , everything everyone said was helpful.

I'll give it some more time and when I do the 600 mile check, I'll change to synthetic oil and have the dealer look into the front brake. John
As of this morning there are 12119 signed up on this board. And since I've been here (over 2 years) you are about the 3rd person to say they were disapointed. I spend a lot of time on these boards so I think I know a thing or two. Sorry you took my comment the wrong way :)
Bigdog

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well as the others have stated the techincal aspects which is good because I don't know any of those. I picked up my 04 1300s yesturday and put 120 miles on it. To include just myself and I weigh in at 360 pounds 6'2". I also gave one of my sons a ride and he is 6"3" 250 only 14 mind you. This bike rides like a dream I cud hardly notice him back there. I am extremely happy with its performance so far. Goin for another 120 today (Grins)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
JohnFT said:

As of this morning there are 12119 signed up on this board. And since I've been here (over 2 years) you are about the 3rd person to say they were disapointed. I spend a lot of time on these boards so I think I know a thing or two. Sorry you took my comment the wrong way :)
Bigdog
JohnFT give it sometime and you will find that you made the right choice. After I started running syn oil in mine alot of things started getting quieter and you just adapt to the sounds.

And Bigdog is an all right guy, he has been here for awhile on this board and offers some good advice....( sometimes ) Just tell him your bike is black.........if you tell him it's red he will send you information on where to purchase black paint......LOL

·
Registered
193 Posts
neutral thing

Hi John ft. I too am new to the x world. Had the same concerns and did exactly what the board members said. I adjusted the free play in the clutch ( was way too loose ) and switched to mobil-1 red cap at 600 miles. Shifts like a dream and is quite a bit quieter. I sure it will smooth out even more as it gets broke in . Listen to these guys on the board they know their bikes !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey John:

Question Problem Answer

* Engine noise.......Solid lifters..............have the valves checked/set at 600 mi.

* Tranny noise.........Strait cut gears.............switch to Amsoil 10W40

* Can't find neutral when stopped..............Stopping while in 4th or 5th gear..........downshift before stopping

Bama

1 - 20 of 40 Posts