1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 17, 2007
Little Rock Police Department

To Whom It May Concern;

On June 21st of 2007, I was hit from the rear and run over by a man identified as John Turpin. It is my wish that this man is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Anything less only encourages other criminals to follow his example.

The details are as follows:
I was heading home traveling South University toward I-30 after leaving work. The traffic was heavy but flowing smoothly at 35-40mph and slow gradual stops and goes at red lights. The day was bright and warm and I was riding a 2006 Triumph Rocket III motorcycle as is my routine on such days. (The Triumph is a large motorcycle nine feet long and weighing well over 700 lbs. Mine was bright red with lots of chrome. I was wearing a bright red Joe Rocket padded riding jacket and a DOT approved Fulmer full-faced helmet. I have ridden motorcycles routinely for almost 40 years and realize the need for protection above that required by law.) As the traffic was slowing for one such traffic light, I felt a vehicle bump my rear tire. My motorcycle almost went down but I was able to temporarily retain control. I looked in all directions quickly hoping for an escape route. Due to the heavy traffic, none was available. Traffic continued to slow as we approached the traffic light. Again, I was hit and I felt my rear tire being rubbed perhaps by a bumper. It was a second later and I was being thrown from the motorcycle as it went down. I landed with the wind knocked from me and could hear my motorcycle sliding on the pavement. Then, just as suddenly, I was hit again and found myself beneath a vehicle being dragged along with it. When the vehicle stopped, I lost consciousness. I awoke to great pain with many people around me as I was being pulled from under the vehicle and placed on my back so the medics could check me for injury. I was told the vehicle had to be lifted to rescue me. Then, I heard a lot of shouting that the person driving the assault vehicle had driven away just as the police were arriving. I was told by a police officer at the hospital that John Turpin had been taken into custody at his home.

As a result of his assault, I have eight broken ribs broken in one to multiple places, a fractured spine, bruises, and abrasions. Dr Dunn of the Surgical Associates in Little Rock has explained to me my ribs will never fully heal and I will be on prescription pain medicines for a long time. After spending 12 days in Intensive Care, I was released to the nurses on the 6th floor of Baptist Medical Center. Expenses as they are, my wife who is a Registered Nurse, received permission to bring me home to recuperate. I am currently at home with my wife, Anita, caring for me a month after the assault. My daughter, Michelle Holmes, helps when necessary and lives one hour away. Recovery is slow and painful.

I believe John Turpin acted criminally and purposefully when I was struck and again as he left the scene of the injury. I was told I had been drug along beneath his vehicle for about 100 feet. Considering a speed of approximately 35 mph, I believe John Turpin only stopped when other traffic prevented him from continuing and I would have died if not for the quick reaction by the Little Rock Fire Department crew. He should be removed from society and the streets before he does kill someone. I am asking he be charged with felonies as prescribed by law for such actions including assault.

Thank you;

Jack Guenther

This is the letter I am sending to the Little Rock Police Department. I have been told by them that John Turpin may only be charged with a misdemeanor and not a felony. This guy deserves to go away for a while. Please don't copy this letter but write one of your own to voice your opinion. Thanks.
UPDATE07/18/07: LRPD HAS ASKED NOT TO MISUNDERSTAND> THEY ARE DOING EVERYTHING TO MAKE SURE THIS GOES THRU AS A FELONY

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What an ordeal. I am flabbergasted by how he can hit you more than once. He had to have been drunk or high on something. I agree with you and he should be locked up. People just do not seem to realize the cause and effect of their acitions. Just yesturday I was in a cage and the truck in front of me was crwoding a guy on a suzuki at every stop light. Between lights I managed to get between them figuring he had a better chance with a fellow biker behind him t as I could see a danger from the truck. I stayed there and finally the truck turned and went on its way. 2 hours later I seen the same truck and lady driving it, I was in same vehicle as well, on a 4 lane road with no traffic she tried to cut in front of me and ran me off road. I just wonder how full grown people can be so careless with something as precious as a humans life. She obvioulsy recognized my truck and was road ragin'. I hope you heal faster than they say and our prayers are with you.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Jack,

I am happy to hear that you are recoveing, may God speed continue to heal you.

Is hit-n-run not a felony? If he get's away with nothing but a misdeameanor it may mean we need to visit John ourselves.

Rod

·
Registered
642 Posts
Civil Suit

I would file a 'Civil Suit' against him for emotional distress and damages.
You might not get anything ( if he doesn't have anything you might get judgement against future earnings if he hits the lotto <grin> ).

But this will send a message to others.

G

·
Yup, sending that to the cops will be futile; send it to the DA. If it were me, I wouldn't send anything. I'd figure out a way to go sit in his office and demand that he do something. If he didn't I'd go to the papers.

I don't believe it would be difficult to prove that he was targeting you since he hit you multiple times, and I'm sure you could find a few folks to testify. I'd also bet that drugs or alcohol were involved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If ya don't mind me asking where were you in relation to Asher n University?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nicksterdemus said:
If ya don't mind me asking where were you in relation to Asher n University?
Below that past the Fire Department heading south toward 65th.

Also,I received a call from the LRPD tonite. Apparently some contacts have made them think I did not believe they were doing everything possible.
At any rate, I can't afford to have them thinking I'm the bad guy here. IF you write letters, please play it soft for now. Also, I don't want this is area papers.
Forgive me for being paranoid. Perhaps its the years I spent in New Orleans.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have a bud that runs a beer joint dive in the 'hood n I've seen painters in there quite a few times when I've been there. Geeze haven't been there in 6 months n don't even know if it's open anymore. I was just curious. If ya want some info ya need to contact Sgt. Terry Hastings, LRPD. He's their PR guy n a member of the Church of Christ in Benton. You may already know this. Good luck w/speedy recovery. Regardless of what life throws @ me I try 2 keep in mind that I'm still around 2 bitch about it. Might not be much but it works 4 me...................

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
that is an amazing account, best thing is you are recovering..

I admire the letter to the police , but agree that the DA, the small claims courts and a good injury attorney will help, wouldnt hurt to bring public notice to this either with a local news station investigative reporter etc......

anything to get the most exposure

very best of wishes for you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jack G.
Glad to here you are getting better. I have several friends on the LRPD and work for the LRFD, if I can assist you in anyway let me know. I would like to pass along your part of the letter about the guys at Station 11 who assisted you that day. With your permission of course!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Conehead said:
Jack G.
Glad to here you are getting better. I have several friends on the LRPD and work for the LRFD, if I can assist you in anyway let me know. I would like to pass along your part of the letter about the guys at Station 11 who assisted you that day. With your permission of course!
Of course. Without their quick response, I wouldn't be here. btw, my son, Matthew Guenther, just started out in West LR for the LRFD. I'm very proud of him.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm sure I will see him frequently, I was recently promoted to Chief of Training. And you should be very proud of him, he's on a good department and we'll take care of him!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts