Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out looking on Craigslist and ran across an '85 Goldwing 1200 Interstate for sale for $1000.00. I assumed that it was a piece of junk, but decided to go see it anyway. I was surprised to find that it was in very good shape with only 45k miles, but it had a problem with the charging system.

I decided to by it anyway and found out that the stator (alternator) was the problem. I plan to do the Poorboy Alternator Conversion this weekend and start my restoration project.

Here's a pic of how it looked when I brought it home:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops. There should be a good pic there now.

Rowie, no snow if Richmond (we've had enough for one season).

I'm going to hop on the bike in about an hour and go for a ride on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't believe it when I saw it. The guy had about three other bikes in his garage and he said that he just got tired of messing with it.

He had it painted last year, new set of tires and it runs great.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Are you looking over your shoulder?...

For the Police. Thief! :joke: :congrats: What a deal!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
wow that was a great deal! I had a '84 with aver 80,000mi. other than the stator going bad it was a great bike. wish I still had it! you might want to look into just repairing the stator. When mine went bad I was able to get it fixed for 6 or 700 dollars. as nice as yours looks it might be worth it. Either way you will really enjoy it:congrats:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good find djoyner! Wow! That is one beautiful bike. Sounds like a win/win situation. Seller dumped a burden and you hit the jackpot! Old bike restoration is a lot of fun. I've totally restored two old Hondas from the 60's. Parts can get kind of pricy but worth it. Yours looks like it wouldn't take much to bring it to original condition. Congrats and have fun!!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
GW 1200 Interstate

I had one of those, too. It did have the stator problem but the previous owner had it fixed. It was the last (I think) of the "classic" looking Gold Wings". My wife loved it, it was great on the highway, and drove nice. I sold it to a guy who has 2 other older Gold Wings. I've seen a site on the web(can't remember now) where guys make "rat bikes" out of them. It was a good when the charging system issues were resolved.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts