Honda VTX Forum banner

a/f adjustment & idle

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  VTXNewbie141 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where i can get a tool to adjust my a/f mixture or does anyone have a special way to adjust it? I am trying to adjust that as well as my idle speed. The only problem i am have is, adjusting the a/f screw. Also, is there a "stock" position the idle knob needs to be in before adjusting everything. I have only been riding my X 1300s for 1 month and i am trying to get everything adjusted. It was garaged by previous owner for about a year. I've cleaned the carb and now adjusting the a/f and idle.

#2 ·
Not sure what you mean by "special way to adjust it". Are we talking tools or settings. I would set mine about 1.75 to 2 turns. Watch the plugs once or twice in the next 1000 miles. as far as tools you can trim a flat tip screw driver to fit the hole that the "D" screw sets in and its pretty easy to adjust with filter off. I kinda rounded the edges on mine so it didnt grab the side of the hole. Once it is set I dont see any reason to change it, why didnt you set it after cleaning, would have been easy with carb off.

#3 ·
Not sure what you mean by "special way to adjust it". Are we talking tools or settings. I would set mine about 1.75 to 2 turns. Watch the plugs once or twice in the next 1000 miles. as far as tools you can trim a flat tip screw driver to fit the hole that the "D" screw sets in and its pretty easy to adjust with filter off. I kinda rounded the edges on mine so it didnt grab the side of the hole. Once it is set I dont see any reason to change it, why didnt you set it after cleaning, would have been easy with carb off.
I didnt know anything about adjusting it until I heard someone mention it. This is my first cruiser so, im still trying to get the use to the "cruiser" world. Thanks for the reply. I will take care of that tomorrow

#4 ·
I also found where someone used an old .22 cal. shell case, flattening one side to slide over the "D" screw. Glensvtx garage makes a tool to adjust it, a little pricey for a one time adjustment. http://glensvtxgarage.com/aftool.html. Of course some folks think you gotta adjust it like its an old Holley or something.

#6 ·
Hope I was help.lol. I also hope you get the bike right and running well. ride safe safe travels.

#7 ·
A .22lr casing with one side bent a little will work. Otherwise check out Glen's permanent a/f screw. It's worth the money because when the "mod bug" bites (and it will!), you'll wish you had it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.