Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A/F Screw Location - PLUS QUESTION

Are you kidding me? I have the x in my shop, looking, learning, pulling parts as I look at the manual. Getting some things before spring and planning on doing the PAIR removal. Anyway, is Hicks Tool the only way to get to the screw without removing the carb. altogether. I see it under there but WOW. I am not planning on looking or learning that much right now, (take carb. off)

PLUS a question, I am a little rich (black plugs) With pipes installed (probably HK RES-TECHS)with NO airbox mods what can I expect the plugs to do. GET better or worse??

Thanks in Advance all !!

·
Registered
238 Posts
No need to take the Carb off to remove the A/F screw, although that is one method. I took the brass from an expended .22 rifle cartrige and flattened one side and used it as a makeshift wrench to turn the stock A/F screw out of the carb. It took me a while but after some patience and 2-3 shell casings I got it out and then installed Hick's A/F mixture screw which is a great product.

I got the idea from a thread on the old VTXOA site, not sure if it is still around. Might try doing a search on A/F Screw as it seems to be a popular topic.

Not really sure about your plug question. Any plug would degrade over time regardless of the A/F mixture. A rich condition is only going to make the plug foul sooner as the carbons build on top of eachother.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
:agree: Did the same thing. Then with a dremal I was able to notch the screw so that I could get a screw driver to make my adjustments.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Smoke, here's another option. You can get it from http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/ I just ordered one a couple weeks ago. Makes adjusting your A/F easy and fast. You can use it with your bike fully assembled and it still works great. It's like $35 delivered and it came in a couple days. Great customer service too.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Smoke, here's another option. You can get it from http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/ I just ordered one a couple weeks ago. Makes adjusting your A/F easy and fast. You can use it with your bike fully assembled and it still works great. It's like $35 delivered and it came in a couple days. Great customer service too.

Great tool and makes adjustments a snap! Well worth the price of admission imo

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Here's another option. You can get it makes adjusting your A/F easy and fast. You can use it with your bike fully assembled.
Hick Screw+ flex extension+ Socket
I acquired one of hicks A/F screws and took it a step further. I took a 1/4" drive short 6 point 1/2" socket with a 6" flex extension and slipped it on hicks screw. it hangs down right next the the idle control knob and will allow you to adjust the A/F on the fly with great accuracy. it stays on by it self as i have put over 3000 miles on it without it falling off or turning. I put a black mark on one side of it marking a full turn.

·
Ya-Hoo #4
988 Posts
Here's another option. You can get it makes adjusting your A/F easy and fast. You can use it with your bike fully assembled.
Hick Screw+ flex extension+ Socket
I acquired one of hicks A/F screws and took it a step further. I took a 1/4" drive short 6 point 1/2" socket with a 6" flex extension and slipped it on hicks screw. it hangs down right next the the idle control knob and will allow you to adjust the A/F on the fly with great accuracy. it stays on by it self as i have put over 3000 miles on it without it falling off or turning. I put a black mark on one side of it marking a full turn.
Great Idea:thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anyone have a photo showing exactly where the A/F mixture screw is? I've got big hands and am having trouble locating mine. I may have to remove the air cleaner to get a good look at it's location.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes removing your air cleaner is a good way to take a look initially. It's on the inside of the carb closest to the intakes. It's recessed inside a round hole. The screw has a D-shaped head. Look under your carb with a flashlight after removing the air cleaner and you will see it.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Anyone have a photo showing exactly where the A/F mixture screw is? I've got big hands and am having trouble locating mine. I may have to remove the air cleaner to get a good look at it's location.

I removed my A/F screw (careful not to lose the washer,spring and 0-ring) and used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a slot across the head of it enabling me to adjust it with a long skinny screw driver. 8)

Biddy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts