Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...on the way home from the shop.

So I go to pick up my bike, as you may recall, the bar bolts were stripped and the bars had to be cut off. Anyway, everything looks great, the bars, the risers, the new grips. Everything but the weather. We'd seen a little rain on the way in (I live about 25 miles from Honda of Tulsa) so on the way back, I chose to forgo the highway and take the the old highway that runs right next to it. After my gas stop I'm riding along watching these clouds that don't look to good, ie wall clouds. So I'm hoping they'll stay south of me while I'm riding east. They just keep getting closer. About halfway home my ride to town starts honking and we pull over. You guessed it, a tornado warning for the storm I'm riding into. We found a canopy for me to park under (with a guy trying to save his cement mix) and wait. Finally, it gets far enough away to get going again. Then I had to contend with hundreds of cars pulled over on the side of the road, wet pavement, lightning, a few HUGE puddles and did I mention all the cars on the side of the road?

The funnel cloud was confirmed but I guess they're still not sure if a tornado actually got on the ground. It was exciting for a while though!

Here are the pics of the riser and grips. I guess the tech didn't like the stretch on the throttle cables so they rewired them. He didn't even charge me for the labor on it.

The risers make a huge difference, I don't hunch over as much. Can't wait to take them on a long ride. Maybe a rides where I'm not dogding tornados. The bike is a filthy mess even though I never was rained on.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sweet! 8) I've got some Kewlmetal comin' my way next week. I'm putting them on myself, and didn't think I had to worry about the stock cables, at least the risers are advertised that way. Guess I'll see. I'm anxious to get the "comfortable feel" while riding this bike. The risers sure look nice on your ride.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Glad you are okay, we were sitting here watching that storm form over us outside and move on to Catoosa and 412 on tv and they were showing us the tornado forming! Channel 6 screwed up the last 15 minutes of Survivor, tornado hogged the tv. Ironically they forgot to turn off the closed caption to Survivor so while they were yapping about the tornado we "read" the rest of the show and knew who left tribal council. But yes they were in the right to warn us of a tornado, they saw the rotations on radar before they saw the actually tornado. (for those not in tornado alley, our radars now give us about a 10 minute advanced warning since they actually pick up rotations in the clouds on radar). Just enough time to run for cover! :shock: One reason we tend to carry a radio with ear plugs this time of year when on a bike... to catch any weather changes and to possibly avoid heading into it. If you had been listening to a car radio at any time today, the weather guys were already warning that there could be tornados in the evening. We never venture out when we hear that info that early on, because they are rarely wrong!

2hoo are you a okie or new to oklahoma transplant? Just curious because either way you need to keep an ear and eye to weather reports this time of year!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okieness

wildabouthorses said:
2hoo are you a okie or new to oklahoma transplant? Just curious because either way you need to keep an ear and eye to weather reports this time of year!
Not a transplant, but cut me some slack, I hadn't seen my bike in a WEEK and I wanted it really bad :crew: Seriously, I'm really a fair weather rider so for me to be out in any kind of storm is very rare.

I was just about to put the brakes to the ride when they issued the warning. I mean I could SEE what was going on. Fortunately, I was behind the rain and hail. I hear that one of my neighbors tried to get ahead of the storm by heading for Wagoner, which is of course right where the storm went and her windshield got destroyed by hail.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm putting them on myself, and didn't think I had to worry about the stock cables, at least the risers are advertised that way.
The advertisement is correct. You don't have to reroute any cables. I did on the other hand unattach my front brake line from the clamps on the fork and slid the hose toward the bars some just to give it a little more play and retightened the clamps.

I also repositioned my controls to get them to the stock position. Not necessary but like I"ve stated many time, I'm anal, at least about some things.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cables

I think that the cables just get stretched out a little. I don't know why the tech rewired them but since he wasn't charging, I wasn't complaining. Had I done it mayself I wouldn't have. Is there just a way to bring the cables inside the triple tree clamp rather than on the headlight side? That would probably be all the slack that was needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts