Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in East-Central Missouri and were carefully watching the weather at the Christmas week. We ended up in North-Western Arkansas and the daytime weather was mid 60-s and sunny.

First, ya gotta start with a hearty breakfast. That huge slice of fried baloney was a good start. >:)

Then, the Wife was looking for her helmet.
"it was just here" she says.

OK, so she's sitting on the back. We have microphones. She's got the map, and she has the "navigation" responsibilities.

Nice, straight, easy roads... she says......

We stayed in the Days inn Harrison Arkansas. Not more than half a dozen rooms rented. Pretty quiet. :thumbup: - and left very early Christmas morning and managed to be home around 11. It was sunny and 70 degrees at home - which was odd because we had an eighth of an inch of ice and six inches of snow just the week before. We could have simply stayed home and rode for a few days, if not for the heavy application of salt and chemicals on the roadways.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
Big Breakfast! Louisiana Hot Sauce, they have been around since 1928.
Looks to be a very scenic road! Looks like you had it for yourself.
That warm weather was nice. It got up to 75 by us, part time jacket needed for a week.
Nice ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two-lane roads were virtually deserted. We saw three bikes on Sunday, six on Monday, and 10 on Tuesday - plus three dirt bikes and a scooter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow great pictures. Looks like a fun ride.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nice! Thanks.

·
Old Goat
24,071 Posts
Thanks for the pics....It’s good u got a saddle pal...:thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great pictures. I live in St. Charles and could not believe how nice the weather was that week. I was able to get out for a few hours later that week.

My son in law and I rode to Harrison, Arkansas in October. Nice little town. We also spent a few days riding around Fayetteville. We stated at the Devils Den campground. Great area and we plan on going back again in the fall.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Clint

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good choice of roads to ride. I rode ar123 from lamar to jasper Christmas day, only saw 3 other bikes all day. I stopped at Sams Throne campground and only one soul there, a girl in a van, playing a guitar. She was maybe late teens early twentys. I don't know what music she was playing but she was really putting a lot of energy into it. I didn't stop, just waved and said hoe hoe hoe. I took hwy 7 and 16 and 21 back home,about a 150 mile round trip. Merry Christmas to me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Great pics, thanks

Yep that area is a lot of fun. I've ridden a lot of those roads, much fun. The Wife and I were up there last week but by pick up truck. Wish I was on my MC as the weather was fantastic then also.

In downtown Harrison there is the Hotel Seville. It is a nice old hotel that has been refurbished and is part of the Choice Hotel group. My daughter and I stayed there once on our way to the Moonshine Lunch Run and The Wife and I stayed there last week. Prices aren't bad plus it is motorcycle friendly with a MC wash area.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great pics, thanks

Yep that area is a lot of fun. I've ridden a lot of those roads, much fun. The Wife and I were up there last week but by pick up truck. Wish I was on my MC as the weather was fantastic then also.

In downtown Harrison there is the Hotel Seville. It is a nice old hotel that has been refurbished and is part of the Choice Hotel group. My daughter and I stayed there once on our way to the Moonshine Lunch Run and The Wife and I stayed there last week. Prices aren't bad plus it is motorcycle friendly with a MC wash area.

We stayed in the Hotel Seville in Harrison Arkansas several times - and I also stayed in the Hotel Seville in Seville, Spain. :smile2:

But, THAT was a loooong time ago when I was a young Marine and traveling Spain - 1978.

HA ! The Moonshine run was always cold and many times spitting rain. We once had a real toad-strangler. Got half a dozen t-shirts down the years from that place. They don't do the annual Moonshine Run anymore, but the store is still open and ya can still get a "Moonburger". I never can remember the exact hours so I google their website each time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes Poser, Moonshine RTE is no more. I went to 6 out of the last 7 including the last. I always stayed at the Lincoln in Marshall.

My special needs daughter usually went with me (The Wife doesn't ride). It was always a big deal for her.

Absolutely, the weather was a challenge at times. We left from there one morning at 27 degrees. Another time we checked into a room in Springfield just before the snow came. I'll never forget the time while on the way home we checked into a room in Joplin with warm weather. We checked out at 36 degrees and a rain. By that afternoon we were in Atoka, Oklahoma, and we were taking off clothes. I think it was 90 by then. The joys of motorcycle travel.

If a person had good weather getting to Moonshine they could count of cold, wet, or both when leaving.

I guess I'll have to start going to Tiptonville, TN, for the eagles that weekend. We have a RTE in Celina, Texas, not far from me the same weekend. I attended it the year I could not make it to Moonshine.

Staying at two Sevilles in a lifetime. Good deal.

Thank you for your service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts