Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, Rev and I added Lindby crash bars and handle bar risers (3" & 13 degree drop). The Lindby bars are really comfortable for me. And I had hoped that the risers would let me have a more comfortable reach to the grips. The around the block test was very positive. But the trip to Nashville by way of Tuskaloosa and back proved otherwise. While the closer/lower grip helped with the shoulder pain, it did nothing to improve the pain in my upper spine. I messed up my upper spine when I was run off the road and went head first into a ditch a couple years ago. I re-injured it when that woman rear ended me last September.

A tad off subject: does anyone know of a good chiropractor or licensed massage therapist?

While I was in Nashville, I sat on a couple other bikes (all Harleys) to check out the different mods. On the way home, I figured out the problem. The stock bars on my 1300c are a bit wide for my reach making me have to reach for the throttle and unable to alter wrist, elbow and shoulder position. It was very painful, especially when we were riding through some wicked rain (150 miles in 6 hours).

What I need from ya'll is some suggestions on how to resolve this. Rev suggested that retro handle bars might be the solution, but we're not sure. One of my thoughts was to meet up with you guys and see what mods you have made.

Any suggestions would be helpful. And when it comes to installation, a tech day with some teaching would be great. I really want to learn how to do some wrenching. I'll bring the beer!

As far as my road trip, I had a great time. I left Wed., rode in the rain to Tuscaloosa. Thursday we went to Huntsville, again in the rain. And on Friday, arrived in Nashville - yet again in the rain. Saturday the weather was beautiful. Left on Sunday, you guessed it, in the rain all the way to Tuscaloosa, and rode home yesterday. Yesterday, I had nice weather until I hit 98 and rode in the rain. By that time, I didn't even bother to put on the rain suit. Everything I had with me was soaked. All I wanted to do was to get home.

As always, riding is good, just some days are better than others. :lol:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
dont know about your size but i'm small...vertically challenged. i rode a harley for many many years and was most comfortable with a 10 riser and drag bars....the risers had about a 3 inch pull back i think, been a while. the bars are a little narrower as well. not the broom stick type but the ones that bend backwards towards you. might try a harley riser setup. as far as the chiropractor or other i ain't licenced but i'm willin to try.....lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before my bad crash, I was 5'7", but now I'm 5'6", lol! My back is so bad today that I am getting to the point where I don't care if someone is licensed or not. Thankfully, I've got muscle relaxers, codeine based pain pills, xanax and more Lortab than anyone should have at one time.... and even taking all of that, my back still hurts.

I was just looking at the Honda parts place and saw that they had a kit that you can use to convert to Harley handle bars. Before I spend any more money, I want to check it out first. I'm willing to pay to solve the problem, but I don't want to have to pay twice. LOL!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
daaaaaamn...sounds like she bears pharmacy over there...broke my neck in '97....took vicodin and soma for about 5 yrs after. wish i had insurance cause i'd sure go get more now. doc's been tellin me for the last couple years i need more surgery on my neck. can't afford the doc no more so more surgery is for sure out. good luck with yer back.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take up to 15 different medications every day. When we didn't have insurance, it cost $1500 per month and we didn't qualify for any financial help because we made about $20 a year over the income limit. We maxed out all our credit at one point, then Rev had a very good job offer with benefits. My doctor does not want me to have any surgery, so she suggested the chiropractor/massage alternative plus yoga. Even though my back is bothering me today, it is the least of my problems. I've just learned to live with all my health problems, like I had a choice about it! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Maybe massage/chiropractor therapy would help you. It is much cheaper than a doctor and vastly better than surgery. Simple yoga neck stretching might help as well. Scar tissue after surgery can really limit your range of motion and yoga will help stretch that tissue out.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
shebearVTX said:
I take up to 15 different medications every day. When we didn't have insurance, it cost $1500 per month and we didn't qualify for any financial help because we made about $20 a year over the income limit. We maxed out all our credit at one point, then Rev had a very good job offer with benefits. My doctor does not want me to have any surgery, so she suggested the chiropractor/massage alternative plus yoga. Even though my back is bothering me today, it is the least of my problems. I've just learned to live with all my health problems, like I had a choice about it! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Maybe massage/chiropractor therapy would help you. It is much cheaper than a doctor and vastly better than surgery. Simple yoga neck stretching might help as well. Scar tissue after surgery can really limit your range of motion and yoga will help stretch that tissue out.
understand about livin with it babe. only things gonna help me is about half the meds you're takin and another sugery. no disk at C4C5....did a bone graft from my hip last time and it didnt last too long. nowadays i just drink alot....ALOT....ask the guys , they'll tell ya. if ya ever wanna sell summa dem meds PLEASE look me up....only way i can get meds rite now's buyin 'em from people i know.....lol....aint we a pair

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....only way i can get meds rite now's buyin 'em from people i know.....lol..

So you will completely understand that I guard them carefully, LOL! No help from me, sorry!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So you will completely understand that I guard them carefully, LOL! No help from me, sorry!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WTF????

I have no clue as to why this posted three times!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
guard 'em with yer life girl....and ya only had to say it once.....lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump!

I still need some help from y'all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts