Honda VTX Forum banner

A little help with some troubleshooting please.

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  forgiven911 
#1 ·
I have just finished doing some work to my VTX (de-smog, new clutch, drag bars, fluids, forward controls, tornado air kit) and I'm having a few problems :cry: .

The first thing is when I'm riding the fuel will cut out and sputter a little. I just lasts for a few second and the FI light comes on. It seems to be the worst when its cold and warming up. It didn't seem to come on all at once and its getting worse. I know my valves are a little past due. Could that be the problem or a sensor maybe?

Next, After I finished the clutch and forward controls its going into gear really hard. Im thinking I might need to back the springs some. Anyone have an idea if it will help?

This is the first time I've ever worked on a bike so I don't mind telling you it has me apprehensive :? but I really dont want to turn it over to the stealer. I appreciate any help you all can give me.

:) Thanks,

Mike

#2 ·
Did this happen only after the intake&block off work...sometime better 1 step at a time for the novice tech......but thinking poss.intake leakage/sealing...my blockoff went well...we need to know if you did plates and reed remove..as per instructions...? year and ground condition
more..input.....more feedback

#3 ·
This is going to sound too simple, but
take off your seat and check the bolts on your
battery terminal connections to the cables first.

Those babies seem to be the first thing on the bike
to want to vibrate loose, and cause the exact symptom
that you arew describing.

#4 ·
ctvt said:
Did this happen only after the intake&block off work...sometime better 1 step at a time for the novice tech......but thinking poss.intake leakage/sealing...my blockoff went well...we need to know if you did plates and reed remove..as per instructions...? year and ground condition
more..input.....more feedback
Its a 2002, and I followed Bare's desmog to the T. It started before I did the desmog and air intake I think. I havent done the ground because I cant seem to find the detailed instructions anywhere.

thanks

#6 ·
forgiven911 said:
Its a 2002, and I followed Bare's desmog to the T. It started before I did the desmog and air intake I think. I havent done the ground because I cant seem to find the detailed instructions anywhere.

thanks
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. The detailed instructions are in the "Garage" 8)
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en

#7 ·
forgiven911 said:
I have just finished doing some work to my VTX (de-smog, new clutch, drag bars, fluids, forward controls, tornado air kit) and I'm having a few problems :cry: .

The first thing is when I'm riding the fuel will cut out and sputter a little. I just lasts for a few second and the FI light comes on. It seems to be the worst when its cold and warming up. It didn't seem to come on all at once and its getting worse. I know my valves are a little past due. Could that be the problem or a sensor maybe?

Next, After I finished the clutch and forward controls its going into gear really hard. Im thinking I might need to back the springs some. Anyone have an idea if it will help?

This is the first time I've ever worked on a bike so I don't mind telling you it has me apprehensive :? but I really dont want to turn it over to the stealer. I appreciate any help you all can give me.

:) Thanks,

Mike
As mentioned check the battery connections - they make the FI flicker and the bike stumble when loose. It's not gonna be the valves though.

As for the clutch, if you swapped the springs and bled the system there are 2 things to consider...
1) new springs are going to make it shift a LITTLE clunkier
2) if you had air in the system from incomplete bleeding it could allow the clutch to clunk a bit worse because it may not be totally disengaging

When you bled did you ever run the reservoir dry or did you just add as you bled? If the reservoir never went dry then you likely didn't get air in and can just write it off as the new springs.

As for the rest, no need to take it to the stealer - it's good to be apprehensive if you're new, that little voice helps keep us from doing silly things - but with a resource and good people like there are here there should never be a need to take it to the stealer unless you have a seriously big problem that no one can troubleshoot over the net. :wink:

Keep turning your own wrenches, your confidence will build each time. 8)

#8 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
forgiven911 said:

thanks
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. The detailed instructions are in the "Garage" 8)
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en
Thanks Spike. Very good website.

Mike

#10 ·
OK, here's where Im at now.

I checked the battery and its good and tight. I'm doing all the ground fixes tonight to see if that helps. But here's the deal. I took the VTX out yesterday to get a better idea of whats going on and found it only cuts out when its cold and warming up. I road 70 miles yesterday without any problem except when I stopped and let it cool down... that leads me to think sensor of so kind. What'ch all think??

Bare,

I didn't ever get a chance to bleed the lines out yet. Its not a little clunker, it jerks my bike when I pop it into first :( . I'm thinking ill pull the cover off tonight to and loosen the springs up a foot/pound and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help everyone!! Some day I hope to pass VTX wisdom on the others :wink:

Mike.

#11 ·
DON'T loosen the springs! Incomplete clutch disengagement is most likely due to air in the clutch hydraulics. Your original post says you changed the fluids, does that include the clutch hydraulic system? In any case it sounds as though you need to bleed the clutch hydraulics. If you need help bleeding the system: http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=38&artlang=en If you need futher help, just ask :)

#12 ·
You mentioned the Tornado. When I installed mine, I cracked the IAT sensor because I was a little heavy-handed with the wrench and didn't realize the rubber O-Ring on the sensor allows a small gap before seating on the airbox. In panic, I called my Honda buddy and was ready to order a new one, but he said, so long as your FI light isn't lit, no problem. Turned out fine for me. So, while I may not be on the right track, I thought I would relay that experience. Check your sensor and check your sensor wires. I'll be reading for your follow-ups. Good luck!

#13 ·
VTX_Bob said:
DON'T loosen the springs! Incomplete clutch disengagement is most likely due to air in the clutch hydraulics. Your original post says you changed the fluids, does that include the clutch hydraulic system? In any case it sounds as though you need to bleed the clutch hydraulics. If you need help bleeding the system: http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=38&artlang=en If your need futher help, just ask :)
Dead on - do not go back in and loosen the springs, that's asking for trouble. Loosening those bolts is asking for problems AND it will undo any progress you made by replacing the springs. Bleed the clutch and see if that fixes your problem, that's where I expect you to fix it.

Did you remove the plates while you were in there?

#14 ·
VTX_Bob said:
DON'T loosen the springs! Incomplete clutch disengagement is most likely due to air in the clutch hydraulics. Your original post says you changed the fluids, does that include the clutch hydraulic system? In any case it sounds as though you need to bleed the clutch hydraulics. If you need help bleeding the system: http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=11&id=38&artlang=en If your need futher help, just ask :)
I haven't got to bleeding the lines yet. That was my next step (along with speed bleeders) before I discovered this problem. I was reading another post on levers and I did put new ones on so I'll put the stock back on tonight to see if thats it. (I hope)

Thanks for the help

Mike

#15 ·
Bareass172 said:
VTX_Bob said:
Dead on - do not go back in and loosen the springs, that's asking for trouble. Loosening those bolts is asking for problems AND it will undo any progress you made by replacing the springs. Bleed the clutch and see if that fixes your problem, that's where I expect you to fix it.

Yes, I did the plates to.

Mike

#16 ·
forgiven911 said:
Bareass172 said:
VTX_Bob said:

Mike
It's possible that if you didn't seat all the plates perfectly flat that there could be a little binding... Try the other solutions first and then check the plates themselves as a last resort.

#17 ·
Bareass172 said:
forgiven911 said:
Bareass172 said:
VTX_Bob said:

Mike
It's possible that if you didn't seat all the plates perfectly flat that there could be a little binding... Try the other solutions first and then check the plates themselves as a last resort.

Did you rotate the last plate one notch on the basket? Only the last plate gets its own home all of the other end grooves get lined up. This will cause clutch slippage.

#18 ·
DonJulio said:
Bareass172 said:
forgiven911 said:
Bareass172 said:
VTX_Bob said:

Mike

Did you rotate the last plate one notch on the basket? Only the last plate gets its own home all of the other end grooves get lined up. This will cause clutch slippage.
Yeah, I was very carful doing the clutch and followed the shop manual closely. The more I read the more I'm suspecting the new clutch lever I put on. Can't wait to get off work to find out.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.