Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to do this trip for a long time but every time I looked at the weather it said 50% chance of rain or worse, every day. Someone finally pointed it out to me - it's the mountains. Rain moves in every afternoon - but - it's not anything like the toad stranglers that we get here in eastern Missouri. We DID see rain for the 4 days we spent there - but only got rained on (briefly) a couple times. Most times, it evaporated before it hit the ground. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

So, off we went. Thru Kansas. More Kansas. Even more Kansas. WTH ???

Oh boy ! Colorado border. Still flat...........

WoooooHooooo ! Mountains. Sort of. 900 miles, so far. Our route was I-70 west to Limon and Hwy 71 South to 10 West to Hwy 160 West. That 160 has some nice scenery. Arrived in Durango, 1,200 miles later.

Low 50's in the mornings and high 70's in the afternoons (a bit less on the tops)

Managed to Ride up and thru Silverton - Ouray - Montrose - Telluride - Cortez, etc.

Did Mesa Verde, Valley of the Ancients, Aztec, New Mexico, Four Corners, etc.
Lots of fields in western Kansas and Eastern Colorado look like this. Probably weeds - but pretty.

First of all - why didn't someone tell me about the giant cicadas ???? Two more of these, and we'd have a nice BBQ !!!

Here we are on the way up the 550 to Ouray

After THAT ride - THIS was a welcome sight !!!

On the way to the Four Corners was a lot of this......

Four Corners

Aztec, New Mexico

Lots more pics, but you get the idea. I wanted to do the 4 corners and the Million Dollar Highway and managed to do it.

Missed Pikes Peak on the way back due to gusty winds and snow. I guess it's getting a bit late in the year.

Not so bad, because I've been up twice already.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Looks like it was a great ride. Those are some serious switchbacks. Glad you made it safe. Thanks for sharing the pics.
I'm going to be in Estes Park in early November, but we'll be caging it. Wife's not a big rider, and I've been told that you can trust November in the Rockies!!!
Safe Riding.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We also saw a lot of antelope and mule deer.
A herd of elk in some guy's pasture (not fenced)
.... and quite a few jack rabbits in the 4 corners general area

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've been to the 4 corners in the cage. Has some interesting canyon lands near by. How can you not love the mountains in colorado?!?! Thanks for the pics. And yes... Kansas is a long haul... Especially if you fight the winds on the western side.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been to the 4 corners in the cage. Has some interesting canyon lands near by. How can you not love the mountains in Colorado?!?! Thanks for the pics. And yes... Kansas is a long haul... Especially if you fight the winds on the western side.
Yep. 300 miles across Missouri. 400 miles across Kansas.
I don't remember how many miles of flat land is in eastern Colorado.
:yikes:

Still, well worth the trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts