Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WILL THE REAL AMA PLEASE STAND UP.
I just got an envelope with material trying to get me to join the AMA. I joined the AMA in 1952. I THINK it was The American Motorcycle Association. This thing has symbols and logos like the AMA I'm thinking of but different in some ways and they Call themselves American MOTORCYCLIST Association. What is this ???? A rip off of the original or is it the original and I just had the name wrong all this time?????????

·
Registered
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Okay it explains it in their history area...

http://www.ama-cycle.org/whatis/history.asp

"The Motorcycle & Allied Trades Association (M&ATA) began registering riders in 1919, and by early 1924, it claimed about 10,000 members. On May 15 at a meeting in Cleveland, the directors of the M&ATA proposed to create the "American Motorcycle Association" as a division of the M&ATA. The new AMA would control rider registration and activities, issue sanctions for national events, and serve motorcycle industry members.

The registered M&ATA riders were transferred as AMA charter members, while individual AMA membership dues were set at $1 per year. The motorcycle industry was represented in the AMA in three membership classes: "Class A,'' which included large motorcycle companies; "Class B,'' which included supply and accessory companies; and "Class C,'' which included motorcycle dealers.

The official ratification of the AMA became effective on August 1, and the first national event operated under an AMA sanction was most likely the second annual National Six Days Trial, held from August 25 through 30 in Ohio and adjacent states. This was a 1,400-mile endurance run that started and finished in Cleveland."

"During the summer of 1976, the name of the AMA was changed to the American Motorcyclist Association to better reflect its service to motorcyclists. In 1993, another important milestone was reached when, for the first time, AMA membership topped 200,000."

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AAAaaaHHHhhhhhh SSSssooooo. That explains it. I haven't belonged in a long time but still have my old patches, cards and pins with American Motorcycle Association on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts