Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I first want to thank this board for giving me the resources to work on my bike. I had no wrench experience prior to a few weeks ago and now have the confidence and know-how to do a variety of tasks. That's not to say I can rebuild an engine or slap on a 240 kit, but there is always hope in the future. Thanks.

I had planned to take my bike in to have the PCIII installed by a dealer, along with pipes and an airkit, but I took a bold step (maybe not to most of you) to do the work myself yesterday. The instructions for the PCIII were very good and I was surprised at how easy it actually was. I got done, put the seat back on thought to myself, "I was gonna pay the dealer $100 to do that?"

I have not put the pipes or airkit on, so I have a stock '03 C with the PCIII installed. I could not believe the difference in throttle responce, exhaust sound and overall handling of the bike shifting thru the gears. I can almost describe it by saying that the VTX has a head cold when completely stock and the PCIII is the Sudafed. Silly analogy, but you get the picture. The VTX doesn't NEED a PCIII, but you will see great improvement with one.

After this much improvement with just the PCIII, I am very excited to see the difference after the pipes, airkit and eventually a custom map.

I thought this might give others out there that were in my shoes the encouragement to pickup the wrench and do the work yourself.

Have a good one,

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Cool! I was going to have the dealer install mine. Maybe I'll do it myself. The dealer wanted 500 bucks to install a PC III and a custom map. Does that sound like the going rate?

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
$500 would be right for the unit, install, and a custom map and dyno...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope! I soldered and liquid taped it. If I hadn't done my research here, I probably would have though. I don't necessarily share the hatred of vampire clips, as one of my installers (I sell GPS tracking systems for vehicles) has been using them on cars for decades with no problems. I assumed that bikes have a lot more vibration than does a car under the dash, so I took everyone's advice to go ahead and solder.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Chromer said:
Cool! I was going to have the dealer install mine. Maybe I'll do it myself. The dealer wanted 500 bucks to install a PC III and a custom map. Does that sound like the going rate?
Depends on the "custom" map. Some dealers will simply load a "custom" map on to your bike. Establish first, that they are dynotuning a map specific to your bike and its current setup. Second, find out if the tuner is worth anything - a bad or mediocre tuner may end up costing you more than the hundred or two you're paying up front.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Eye In The Sky said:
Nope! I soldered and liquid taped it. If I hadn't done my research here, I probably would have though. I don't necessarily share the hatred of vampire clips, as one of my installers (I sell GPS tracking systems for vehicles) has been using them on cars for decades with no problems. I assumed that bikes have a lot more vibration than does a car under the dash, so I took everyone's advice to go ahead and solder.
Wise choice, my friend. :p

·
Registered
841 Posts
Outlander said:
Did you find a more creative spot than over the tool compartment for it?

I need to move mine. Suggestions?
Mine is underneath the saddle, along with my auxillary fuse block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts