Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nice little ride through the Arkansas Ozarks this afternoon. The skies were crystal clear and the temp was in the mid 40's. I bundled up and hit the road for a great Sunday afternoon ride.

I road from Russellville to Lamar, then north on 123 to Hagerville, then east on 164 towards Hiway 7. A big ol' deer strolled across the road near Big Piney Creek. I saw it a quarter mile away, so there was no danger of hitting it. Once I hit hiway 7 I headed back south to Dover. I was having too much fun, so I went east to Moreland on 164 instead of straight home. From Moreland I went home on Hiway 124.

The sun was shining and it was beautiful. The traffic was HEAVY on I 40. I'm so glad all my folks live right here in the valley. No holiday road trips!

The entire trip was about 75 miles.

I know you guys in the great white north can't have such fun right now, but summer will return. The mountains around Russellville Arkansas make a perfect place to ride. If you are looking for a great place to visit and ride, consider my home town.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice ride today

I too went on a ride today. It was short but other than my face and hands getting cold, I enjoyed it. Today was in the high 40's.

I went to visit Zym for the first time today. I checked out his V&H pipes on his VTX1800R. I'm thinking about getting rid of my stock pipes and going with Bub's or V&H.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer. So GET OUT AND RIDE!!

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
900 Posts
Actually, I did ride about 35 miles today, up North in SD! It was about 40 degrees. I put on my cold weather riding gear, took the daughter from Boston along and we had a pretty good ride. I had to slow down to about 10 mph 3 times to ride across snow / ice packed areas by tree "shelter belts", as we call them around here. The roads were dry except for those protected areas where the snow and ice hasn't melted yet. I try to ride at least once every month and that was a fairly good December ride for up North in the winter. Ride On!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"17 people have died this year...Don't YOU be next!" Been to Clarksville a number of times.

Those mountains are beautiful. Are the signs still there since the bypass was built?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good for you. I am stuck here in Boston and can not ride for at least a week. (Visitng relatives) The riders up here are not as hardy as the southern riders. Today was in the high fifties for example and I did not see one bike in the entire time I was on the roads up here.

good people for sure but wimpy riders :)

R. Todd

·
Registered
199 Posts
kumite, I feel for you. Our relatives left yesterday...That's why I was on my bike today also. It was a little chilly, but turned out to be a nice ride. I was out for around 2 hrs, but only for about 80 miles. Was in the low 40's when I started, but in the mid 30's when I got home.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That 40 degree weather is supposed to reach us in Illinois on Monday, together with some sunshine, so there's a few of us planning to get out for awhile to shake off the winter blues. I'm just hoping my workload is light enough to permit me to take a couple hours in the afternoon before the sun sets.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ride in Arkansas

Hey Papa,
Where exactly is that route where you took those beautiful pictures at?

What highway is that, from beginning to end? I would definitely be interested in taking that ride in the early Spring so I want to be sure I take the same route. Does this route go through or near a town?

Any suggestions would help.

Thank you and Ride Safe,

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a nice little ride through the Arkansas Ozarks this afternoon. The skies were crystal clear and the temp was in the mid 40's. I bundled up and hit the road for a great Sunday afternoon ride.

I road from Russellville to Lamar, then north on 123 to Hagerville, then east on 164 towards Hiway 7. A big ol' deer strolled across the road near Big Piney Creek. I saw it a quarter mile away, so there was no danger of hitting it. Once I hit hiway 7 I headed back south to Dover. I was having too much fun, so I went east to Moreland on 164 instead of straight home. From Moreland I went home on Hiway 124.

The sun was shining and it was beautiful. The traffic was HEAVY on I 40. I'm so glad all my folks live right here in the valley. No holiday road trips!

The entire trip was about 75 miles.

I know you guys in the great white north can't have such fun right now, but summer will return. The mountains around Russellville Arkansas make a perfect place to ride. If you are looking for a great place to visit and ride, consider my home town.

Pics Please!!! 8)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Hey Papa,
Where exactly is that route where you took those beautiful pictures at?

What highway is that, from beginning to end? I would definitely be interested in taking that ride in the early Spring so I want to be sure I take the same route. Does this route go through or near a town?

Any suggestions would help.

Thank you and Ride Safe,
Starting from Vian OK, HWY 82 to lake Tenkiller then,
HWY 100 East from Lake Tenkiller OK to arkansas 59 south to 220. The 10 miles of winding road is RD 220 about 10 miles N of Van Buren AR off of 59. It is in a Ozark National forest. It was a awesome ride. about 140 miles round trip. There is also the Talimena ride which is south of me about 100 miles or so. Bikes ride that mountain year round by the hundreds. It is something you would want on your to do list if you are in the area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm jealous. We've had two beautiful days and I've been busy. Haven't even cranked mine.

I am headed to Mountain Home later in the week to trout fish. Maybe a ride then?? We'll check the weather.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was 70 here today and I had to work. Looks like the weather will be good this weekend too.

I'll try to get some pics from my next ride.

I think we all get behind on our riding this time of year. I've been sitting around and dreaming about where I want to go on my next road trip. :doorag:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts