Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, don't post much anymore, but thought this was kinda interesting.

Me personally, I don't care for the fury, not a powerful enough engine for my taste.

But I was just reading the newer issue of cruiser, and they have a comparo of the Fury, Raider, Rocker, and Vegas.

I was hangin out with my girlfriends family, and just thought I'd get a pure non-bias opinion on the looks of these bikes from her two brothers and nephew, none of which ride motorcycles, or could give a rats ass about the differences between a Honda, Harley, or Yamistar.

Based purely on looks (and not knowing which the other choose), 2 of the 3 of them actually choose the Honda Fury as the best looking bike. And the other guy liked the Raider best.

Kinda surprising, as like I said I am NOT a fan of the Fury, but it just goes to show you how we can insulate ourselves from the average guy's opinion.

Just Sayin'

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
535 Posts
The guy who liked the raider just has bad taste. :mrgreen: Just sayin back.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
said:
Me personally, I don't care for the fury, not a powerful enough engine for my taste.
That's your only reason you don't like it??

I seriously stop and ask myself at this juncture, with all of the "the engine is too small" comments I've read, How, just how did you all get along before the 1800 even came out? Did you guys just not ride at all citing engine size and personal respect as causes for not riding

or were you all sad, frustrated, underpowered bike riders that always longed "for something more"??

:roll:

I really wonder how our parents/grandparents/whatever managed to suffer through the miserably undersized 500's 750's and 1000 CC cruisers before us (taking them cross country, up hills, and riding two up). . . It must have been absolute torture for them. . I'm actually surprised the practice of motorcycling even survived! :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts

I seriously stop and ask myself at this juncture, with all of the "the engine is too small" comments I've read, How, just how did you all get along before the 1800 even came out? Did you guys just not ride at all citing engine size and personal respect as causes for not riding

or were you all sad, frustrated, underpowered bike riders that always longed "for something more"??

I really wonder how our parents/grandparents/whatever managed to suffer through the miserably undersized 500's 750's and 1000 CC cruisers before us (taking them cross country, up hills, and riding two up). . . It must have been absolute torture for them. . I'm actually surprised the practice of motorcycling even survived! :roll:
I Agree I ride my little 1300 Fury every where and it seems fine to me and I am a big boy the bike fits me good. :agree:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seriously stop and ask myself at this juncture, with all of the "the engine is too small" comments I've read, How, just how did you all get along before the 1800 even came out? :roll:
I had a sportbike. :thumbup:

As such, I likes me cruisers with a sub 4 second 0-60 time. Going from a 3 second sportbike to a 5+ second cruiser would have been like pulling teeth for me. But going from a 3 second sportbike to a 3.7 second VTX wasn't all that bad, especially considering the increased comfort and styling.

Once you get a taste for the speed and power, its hard to give it up IMO.

Just Sayin'

·
Registered
723 Posts

I seriously stop and ask myself at this juncture, with all of the "the engine is too small" comments I've read, How, just how did you all get along before the 1800 even came out?...
We all rode BossHosses whaddya think? :mrgreen:

It's not that the Fury doesn't have an adequate motor. It does.

It's just that for $13-$14K metric buyers have gotten accustomed to getting a lot more. Hell even HD has conceded to give you a bit more bang for the buck than a Fury, at least on a few models anyway.

IF the Fury were under $10K where it oughta be you would hear NO such complaints about "engine too small." What's surely the oldest chopper-style metric on the market, Suzuki's Savage/S40, is a 650 thumper with maybe 30hp on a good day but nobody gripes about it. The fact MSRP is less than $5K probably has something to do with that.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Sup guys, don't post much anymore, but thought this was kinda interesting.

But I was just reading the newer issue of cruiser, and they have a comparo of the Fury, Raider, Rocker, and Vegas.

I was hangin out with my girlfriends family, and just thought I'd get a pure non-bias opinion on the looks of these bikes from her two brothers and nephew, none of which ride motorcycles, or could give a rats ass about the differences between a Honda, Harley, or Yamistar.

Based purely on looks (and not knowing which the other choose), 2 of the 3 of them actually choose the Honda Fury as the best looking bike. And the other guy liked the Raider best.

Kinda surprising, as like I said I am NOT a fan of the Fury, but it just goes to show you how we can insulate ourselves from the average guy's opinion.

Just Sayin'

This survey I did was done in a similar way, an e-mail sent to some folks with just the pics, no bike id other than you may see in the pics.

The results were surprising. The chicks preferred the raider, big time.

The fury and the big dog tied among the men.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The guy who liked the raider just has bad taste. :mrgreen: Just sayin back.
I would take the Raider over the Fury any day of the week. Everyone has their opinions, and I'm sure some like the Fury better. Others, not so much....

Specifically, I like what the Raider has that the Fury does not:

Hydraulic clutch
1850+ CC
Belt Drive
Someone said it had self-cancelling signals, but I haven't been able to confirm that
More engine/driveline chrome and detail
Lightweight aluminum frame that doesn't have welds done by a 3rd grader amputee

Hell, given the choice between a new Raider S and a new Neo (what I ride) today, I'd be hard pressed to pick the Honda. No way I'm sellin', tho.... too much invested and I would never get it back. Wife is thinkin' about getting her M endorsement so she can ride. I wonder if the Raider is too big for her. She's 5'08"/145 lbs, and my Neo with Ultimate BB seat is too big. She can barely get it off the sidestand and then she is on her tiptoes trying to balance it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would rather have the 1800 VTX F model than a raider. The F is the prettiest 1800 cruiser I've seen so far. If i want an American classic Jessie James style chopper under $14k it would be the Fury. The raider loses out either way. I happen to like shaft drive and water cooling. Self canceling signals would be nice.:doorag:

·
The Fish
1,557 Posts
I asked the service guy at honda today about the fury. He said they're moving them. He could have been lying through his teeth but I don't know what purpose lying to me serves. So I guess people are buying them. I still have yet to see one on the road though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
all i can say is i have been looking at bikes for several months I had my heart set on a Rocker C just did not want to pay 20 thousand for a bike so I puchased a 2010 Fury and have been riding it for two months today i got to ride a Rocker C for the first time and will say I know a H-D is the top of the line bike but after riding my Fury I would not trade it even for a Rocker

·
Registered
535 Posts
HD is a very nice bike with alot of bling. But, so are the metrics for much less $. Metrics are more reliable and top of the line when it comes to engineering and quality. Harley has a following , a mentality, cult group keeping it afloat. Harleys cost so much more because they are American based. Not because they better, or top of the line. Honda and BMW are top of he line.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Luckily, I didn't have to ride before the 1800 came out...I picked up my starter bike (Nighthawk 550) and when I was comfy on that (and tired of it), I upgraded to my 1800c.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What I like about the 1800 besides the extra 30 hp is it's roominess. I am not fat but wear extra large. The 1800 fits me better than the 1300 and Harley. They keep making bikes for smaller people. Even the new voyager as big and heavy as it is feels cramped. The Fury is not like that. Long and roomy. I could live with that but need luggage and wind protection.

·
Registered
723 Posts
... I could live with that but need luggage and wind protection.
Roominess I also liked--finally agree on something. The Fury in person turned me around on that (price still a sticking point--it is a VTX1300). I really like the Fury in spite of speaking the truth about it. Now you're doing that for me.

"Luggage and wind protection" underscores the small market potential. A duffle strapped to a sissy bar is the only kind of luggage that looks "right" on something so blatently chopper-styled. Saddlebags don't. And it would look utterly ridiculous with anything resembling serious wind protection hung up front. So it seems RUBs who can afford multiple bikes (don't they already have a real chopper?) are the main prospective buyers. The mainstream of riders who have 1 bike and a payment book would probably give a big thumbs up to marketing proto pics but won't actually buy.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Good question.
I think maybe it is what you are used to, versus whats available.
maybe also what did your friends ride?
my first bike was a Honda 305 Superhawk,
then got a couple of Honda 350's.
Some of my friends had moved up to to the Honda 750.
(What a great bike that was)
Next for me was a Kawasaki KZ1000.
(this was the bike that taught me I was MORTAL) :mrgreen:

Then after over 20 + years of no riding,
I decided I wanted to get back into riding.
Wanted a cruiser, mainly to do trips.
(Wife says I am trying to recapture my youth...I say okay..cool.)

Looked for about 4 months, talked to everyone.
Looked at a lot of em, HD's, Kaw's, and decided on the VTX
Wanted a 1300 initially, mainly because the 1800 is so heavy,
but wanted fuel injection,
so the only choice was the 1800.
Bought it, and love it.
Big, Yes.
Heavy, Yes.
Comfortable, Yes.
Dependable, YES!
LOVE it!

Now after being used to it, wouldn't change,
I might in future because of some physical limitations
go to a lighter bike, maybe a BMW,
maybe a Wing, but that hopefully is years away.

I plan on going down to check out the Fury,
but do not expect to buy one at this time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts