Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I have to sell my 03 1800R purchased new last August and was wondering what to ask. Its in Florida.

specs:

Approx only 1500 miles
Black
HK 3" Straights
Kury PRO Hypercharger
PCIII USB with a (JohnnyCheese Map)
Honda Factory Windshield
Honda Factory Backrest
Honda Factory Rear Cargo Carrier
Chrome curved licence plate holder
Kury ISO Grips
Chrome Rear Brake Fluid Cover

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, so if i didnt have the $2k in accessories, its only worth $6k ?..no wonder people want Harleys

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I guess if you can still buy a new 03 for $8500. The value starts to go down from there. Better reason to keep it and ride it. If you think of it in terms of cost per mile driven, its a great value.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
FLVTX03 said:
wow, so if i didnt have the $2k in accessories, its only worth $6k ?..no wonder people want Harleys
That 2k in accessories is not worth much. You'd get more to part out.
I agree completely. Accessories are a very personal thing with most people and, once on the bike, experience precipitious drops in value. I think you'd do WAY better selling off your accessories on here or Ebay and selling your bike as a stock item.

As to your 'Harley' comment, the same thing applies. A friend calls it "Harley math" when someone buys a bike for $18,000, spends $4,500 on maintenance and accessories then sells it for $17,000 a year later and brags about only losing $1,000 on his Harley.

·
Registered
453 Posts
FLVTX03 said:
yep, access. don't mean jack unless the buyer wants it. if you don't think hd looses much money, you should check out kelly blue book. com. the 30k marked up price v-rods are not even worth half as much in now. why do used harley command a higher price? because the demands for it are higher but also because the seller has to absorb the high marked up price he/she paid dealer.

i compared a few 2004 hd models 'trade in value' against their msrp price recently and to my surprise, they loose almost as much money as honda i.e., loosing about 4 to 5k after the first year. of course percentage wise, the hd looses a smaller percertage due to it having a higher msrp sticker i.e., 12k vtx msrp vs. 7k trade in value and 17k fatboy msrp vs. 13k trade in value after a year of ownership. however, if you include the mark ups that most hd dealers add, you loose just as much money.

just my take and good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I always accessorize. Never get 1/10th back. Its soo $ but they look so much nicer with accessories....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
HD owners like 2 talk about retaining value.
Honda sells more bikes than anyone.
In this neck o' da woods there are just as many Harleys in the classifieds as there are Hondas.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
FLVTX03 said:
where can you still buy a new 03 for $8500, my cousin wants one
Why doesn't he want to buy yours?

Eddie

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Eye Candy

eddiecohen said:
FLVTX03 said:

Eddie
Good Point....
Accessories help sell them faster, they don't bring more money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eddiecohen said:
FLVTX03 said:

Eddie
he doesnt know mine is for sale......i never told him, he's an idiot and i dont want him to have my bike

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Its not yours when you sell it. If your cousin pays you what you want for it - it's his bike and he can do whatever he wants with it. If your bike is for sale and there is a potential buyer that you will not sell to - I question who's the idiot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well as long as it still is my bike, and this still is America, i can do whatever i want to with it and sell it to whoever i want!!..

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
That's true - you have a bike that you want money for. He has money that he wants to spend on a bike like yours. I have a second question - do you really want to sell the bike? If you really wanted to sell it and someone has the cash to buy it, it really wouldn't matter who it was and what they did with it.

Think about it like this. If he offers you what you want for the bike and you don't take it - you just bought the bike for his offer.

JMHO - it is your bike and you can do what you want with it. Your cousin will have more opportunities to buy a bike than you have to sell it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
na, id scrap it before selling it to this idot.. hell back when i sold my 68 vette, i basically interviewed buyers.. lol.....i dont need to sell it and may not at all, i was just looking for what is was worth if i did.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
The 68 vette is a classic - the X is not. You won't have that luxury with the X because you can buy them anywhere at anytime. I'm sorry - I thought you were interested in selling - you are just asking a question - my bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts