Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
63,684 Posts
Disagree with Step 1 in this way..... Fuel stabilizer is for ALL BIKES AND ENGINES, not just old carb'd bikes. Especially if you live where you can only get e10 fuel like here in the corn belt. With the money you'll save in Step 2 below, you can buy a can of Seafoam to add to the fuel tank

Disagree with step 2 in this way....

Once you change your oil in for the winter, you are ready to ride in the spring. There is NO NEED to change the oil again in the spring. The oil is FRESH, it has done nothing but coat the engine with fresh oil. You change it twice, you're just wasting your money and making the oil companies very very happy

·
Super Moderator
63,684 Posts
PS..... I'd also add this to his last step...... Once you have done all this and plugged the bike in and covered her up....LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL SPRING. Do NOT go out and start it up and let it idle in the garage thinking you are doing something good. You're not, actually the opposite. A bike will not charge the battery at idle, they aren't like cars. So you are actually draining the battery and stressing it. You will also not get the engine hot enough to burn off the condensation that will build up from the heating and cooling cycles of the engine starts. That condensation will sit in the engine, fuel tank, exhaust, frame and anywhere else and start rusting the bike from the inside. I know this from experience and it cost me a lot of $$$$ to fix it all

·
Registered
945 Posts
I bought a VLIFT this summer and instructions say I can leave my bike on it all winter. Anyone ever done this? What say you?

http://thevlift.com/

Reactions: Curt E

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I bought a VLIFT this summer and instructions say I can leave my bike on it all winter. Anyone ever done this? What say you?

I have a sears motorcycle jack..
my bike has been on the jack ( locked ) for the past 13 winters..

and Mr Spike is correct.....

< my opinion >

writers know little about motorcycle storage..
ether bad or poor advice.

50 years of storing motorcycles for winter ... MINE..

and I have put OLD cars into LONG Term Storage.. professionally

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a sears motorcycle jack..
my bike has been on the jack ( locked ) for the past 13 winters..

and Mr Spike is correct.....

< my opinion >

writers know little about motorcycle storage..
ether bad or poor advice.

50 years of storing motorcycles for winter ... MINE..

and I have put OLD cars into LONG Term Storage.. professionally

Just a concern I have, I was wondering if the frame could take a set or warp. I have had many surprises in my life that I didn't think could happen.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Just a concern I have, I was wondering if the frame could take a set or warp. I have had many surprises in my life that I didn't think could happen.

the frame will be fine..

have you even see a new motorcycle come out of its shipping crate ???

·
Super Moderator
63,684 Posts

I never trusted a lift to store it on, so I bought this from a fellow VTXOA member; http://www.pepsx.com/products.html

I pushed my bike into the corner on the lift and then set it down on the stand. That stand is also great for working on the bike as it is rock solid. So much so, you can sit on your bike on that stand!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A riding bud sent that to me. I thought some of it looked odd. I'm not changing oil again in 3 months.. I liked the step to have a scotch..

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've never had an issue winterizing my bike. I always make sure I have a full tank of gas with seafoam running through the system and the battery tender hooked up.
My only question is though what about flat spots on the tire? I don't have a jack so my bike is pretty much on its side stand for at least five months straight. Maybe sometimes I'll roll it back and forth but that's about it.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
OK, I think I already know the answer to this, but will ask anyway. Before putting her away last fall, new oil & filter installed. Before any chance to ride this spring, I had a total knee replacement. Didn't get out on it until May-ish, getting my legs back under me. Several long ride/ rallies were cancelled, other life obligations, little time for much riding. Then dealt with a kidney stone for weeks in Sept. Today I got out on her for about 70 miles. Total for the year is less than 400. Might still get out a bit in the next few weeks, IDK. So, with less than 500 mi., should I still change the oil and filter like I normally would before the long nap? I have a couple filters and enough Mobil 1 4T 10W40 (thats whats in her) for several changes. FWIW, I stored her for 5 months at a time 2 winters in a row off the floor on a HF yellow jack, then I built a wooden stand a couple years ago. She is also always hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. and sits out in an unheated barn. It's the best I can do, and I never remove the battery from the bike.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I have rock solid advice for anyone considering winterizing their bike. It is simple and straight foreword. RIDE SOUTH for crying out loud ! Get away from the cold. Life is for living, follow the sun. Failing that, yeah, what chuck said.
I took your advice, before you said it..

one year ago in September.. I moved from North East Ohio....

to very south Texas...

No winter..

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
OK, I think I already know the answer to this, but will ask anyway. Before putting her away last fall, new oil & filter installed. Before any chance to ride this spring, I had a total knee replacement. Didn't get out on it until May-ish, getting my legs back under me. Several long ride/ rallies were cancelled, other life obligations, little time for much riding. Then dealt with a kidney stone for weeks in Sept. Today I got out on her for about 70 miles. Total for the year is less than 400. Might still get out a bit in the next few weeks, IDK. So, with less than 500 mi., should I still change the oil and filter like I normally would before the long nap? I have a couple filters and enough Mobil 1 4T 10W40 (thats whats in her) for several changes. FWIW, I stored her for 5 months at a time 2 winters in a row off the floor on a HF yellow jack, then I built a wooden stand a couple years ago. She is also always hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. and sits out in an unheated barn. It's the best I can do, and I never remove the battery from the bike.
My .02
I would not change the oil. But you may want to change the air in your tires before you store it and then again in the spring before riding. :wink2:
:beer3:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I never trusted a lift to store it on, so I bought this from a fellow VTXOA member; http://www.pepsx.com/products.html

I pushed my bike into the corner on the lift and then set it down on the stand. That stand is also great for working on the bike as it is rock solid. So much so, you can sit on your bike on that stand!

I agree. I purchased a pepsx stand several years ago and use it not only every Winter but everytime I want to work on my bike. It is well built and very sturdy.

I have written a procedure that I follow every year before I put my bike away. It is a bit lengthy but the bottom line is, I give my bike a real good going over before I tuck it away.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its only to cold to ride here for 2 maybe 3 months a year. Yet, I understand the importance winterizing. All want bike ready to roll when time comes..

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have rock solid advice for anyone considering winterizing their bike. It is simple and straight foreword. RIDE SOUTH for crying out loud ! Get away from the cold. Life is for living, follow the sun. Failing that, yeah, what chuck said.

And you Aussie speak from experience going south for the winter?

>:):laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts