Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. The X wasn't quite running up to par after sitting and I went into the carb to do a more thorough cleaning. I peeled up the accelerator pump diaphragm to clean out the orifices and when I did, I'm not sure if I damaged it or not. I can't tell if the diaphragm has a lip that is supposed to push into a groove on the cap (which would be torn in the pic) or is it just a bit of goo from being installed for so long? The manual and parts shows the diaphragm as replaceable, but I'm not sure if it's necessary in this case. Please let me know your thoughts (is the diaphragm toast or not). Thanks!

Hand Automotive tire Finger Grass Thumb

·
Registered
277 Posts
With air box off look into the throat of the carb and twist the throttle. You should see a stream of gas shoot into carb throat. If yes its ok, if not, time to replace.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With air box off look into the throat of the carb and twist the throttle. You should see a stream of gas shoot into carb throat. If yes its ok, if not, time to replace.
Yeah. I could do that. I just have everything apart right now and will be waiting for a piston diaphragm, so was hoping to find out for sure in advance so I could get the part at the same time. I guess putting some fuel in the bowl would allow me to verify it without the piston diaphragm?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Use the questionable diaphram and try working the accelerator linkage and look for squirt, if yes you have a new spare coming, if not use the new one. And if carb is off bike then fill the bowl then work the linkage. Hopefully it squirts lol.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use the questionable diaphram and try working the accelerator linkage and look for squirt, if yes you have a new spare coming, if not use the new one. And if carb is off bike then fill the bowl then work the linkage. Hopefully it squirts lol.
I may not have been clear. I have a Piston Diaphragm coming, not Accelerator Diaphragm. Of note, I saw a picture of one on ebay, and it does not appear to have a groove, so the diaphragm may have just been stuck. I will post an outcome for future reference. Thanks!

Rim Tool Auto part Bicycle part Circle

·
Premium Member
10,333 Posts
Hey all. The X wasn't quite running up to par after sitting and I went into the carb to do a more thorough cleaning. I peeled up the accelerator pump diaphragm to clean out the orifices and when I did, I'm not sure if I damaged it or not. I can't tell if the diaphragm has a lip that is supposed to push into a groove on the cap (which would be torn in the pic) or is it just a bit of goo from being installed for so long? The manual and parts shows the diaphragm as replaceable, but I'm not sure if it's necessary in this case. Please let me know your thoughts (is the diaphragm toast or not). Thanks!

View attachment 204742
Looks like it's just residue to me. This area needs to make an air tight seal so the rubber, over time, with heat cycles and whatnot will leave a residue. That said, it's apart, so I'd just replace it as these do get hard and crack over time. Just replacing it now could save you some trouble down the road.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a follow-up. I did as suggested and the Accelerator Pump worked fine. Although, I did order a cheapy just in case. Now I just have to debate as to whether I continue to use an 18 y/o Honda (Keihin) part, or the Amazon special. Thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Registered
2005 1300R, SCAR mod, PAIR delete, carb warmer delete
3 Posts
Just a follow-up. I did as suggested and the Accelerator Pump worked fine. Although, I did order a cheapy just in case. Now I just have to debate as to whether I continue to use an 18 y/o Honda (Keihin) part, or the Amazon special. Thanks for the replies, guys.
I just looked on Amazon for one last week and could not find one with the same part#. There was one that the seller would not confirm of fitment, but someone in the Q&A stated that it did. Best I recall, it did not have the little "O -ring tit" attached to it. I was skeptical so I sprung the $90 for an OEM rather than the $18 on Amazon. And as it turns out, I really didn't need it.......spare parts!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I just looked on Amazon for one last week and could not find one with the same part#. There was one that the seller would not confirm of fitment, but someone in the Q&A stated that it did. Best I recall, it did not have the little "O -ring tit" attached to it. I was skeptical so I sprung the $90 for an OEM rather than the $18 on Amazon. And as it turns out, I really didn't need it.......spare parts!
you know how that works, if you have it you will never need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts