Honda VTX Forum banner

Accessory lead - Help Please

822 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Seven79 
G
#1 ·
I’ve read that we should use an accessory lead to power a distribution block. Most people on here states that the license plate light would be a good lead. Where do I find this wire?

#2 ·
Read this post:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204798&highlight=fuse+tap

Lots of good info there. My post with my setup is several posts down on that thread.

You will not want to power something directly from the wire you are talking about. You'll use that wire to trigger a relay to power whatever (best plan is probably a fuse block). Then wire your accessory up to the fuse block.

Dave

#4 ·
To trigger my relay I used the brown wire in the headlight bucket that is part of the foglight connector. This was easiest for me as I was tapping several wires (horn wire for my stebel relay, highbeam wire for my autoswitch to control my wallyworld optronics driving lights) and ran them as a single harness. Others use the brown tail light wire under the right side cover. I used some T-taps that allow for quick connects/disconnects with a male spade connector.

As far as power thru the relay to the aux fuse box is concerned, take it off the battery. Just use as heavy a gauge of wire as you can. I used 10 or 12 (can't remember off the top of my head). I also soldered almost all of my connectors in addition to crimping just for that extra warm fuzzy feeling.

Dave

#6 ·
You are close. Looking at the fuse block on the bike, just to the left is a bundle of wires covered by a black boot. I think it is wire tied to the frame member there. In that bundle of wires is a small brown one that you can trigger the relay with. bill

#7 ·
I’ve read that we should use an accessory lead to power a distribution block. Most people on here states that the license plate light would be a good lead. Where do I find this wire?
Use the positive side of the battery. But, use a relay powered by the the accessory side of the stock fuse holder. A relay takes very little power to activate and it will only supply power with the key on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.