Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been looking to upgrade from her '01 Shadow 600, but given her height (or lack thereof) our options were limited. But today we found, and purchased, this '05 VTX 1300R. The good news, I got it for a $3400. The bad news, everything on it is factory original! Even the tires!! :surprise: Ah well, when it does meet the road, I will know that everything is up to snuff since I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
You have a Retro with spoke wheels = 1300S.

It looks like throw-over saddle bags, they would be aftermarket.

There are shorter shocks. Change the shock spring pre-load to the minimum setting and see what happens.
My son is height challenged, we also pulled the fork tubes up an inch over the top bridge/tree.

Have you looked into the fuel tank??? Many have rust from long term parking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hans,

Thanks for the clarification that it is an S. I did look down into the fuel tank and it was clean and pristine! The bike was stored properly and ridden sparingly, only 3500 miles! I did find one non-OEM part...the battery! LOL

·
Registered
481 Posts
My wife has been looking to upgrade from her '01 Shadow 600, but given her height (or lack thereof) our options were limited. But today we found, and purchased, this '05 VTX 1300R. The good news, I got it for a $3400. The bad news, everything on it is factory original! Even the tires!! :surprise: Ah well, when it does meet the road, I will know that everything is up to snuff since I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb.
Nice Bike congrats.

Not stock though, VTX 1300S does not come with Windshield, Saddlebags, passenger backrest or rear carrier rack.

You didnt mention how many miles were on it although you did say they were the original tires which suggests under 10K miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mileage on it is 3560.

Even with all the extras, this is a sweet ride! I've told my wife that I may just ride her's occasionally for a change of pace. That, of course gets me the stink eye as she's not tall enough to ride my 1800!

But hey, how many couples can boast having "His -n- Hers VTXs!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Point of reference, bought a brand new 1300C in 05 for $8500. Would I sell it for $3400? Dunno. What do I do next? Saw a used FatBoy for $10K, which I thought was a bargain.
When the V-Twin Cruiser craze was at the high of popularity in early to mid 2000's there were a lot of people buying bikes because of the TV shows at the time and also people seeing their friends getting bikes gave them the itch to get a bike. Fast forward to the present motorcycles are in a decline, because of this, there are some get deals out there on used bikes like this member's VTX he found for $3400. In a case like this, the original owner bought the bike new, rode it very little then lost interest.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
When the V-Twin Cruiser craze was at the high of popularity in early to mid 2000's there were a lot of people buying bikes because of the TV shows at the time and also people seeing their friends getting bikes gave them the itch to get a bike. Fast forward to the present motorcycles are in a decline, because of this, there are some get deals out there on used bikes like this member's VTX he found for $3400. In a case like this, the original owner bought the bike new, rode it very little then lost interest.

Happens quite often. When I got my 2007 in 2014, she only had 523 miles on her!!! I couldn't believe that someone would keep a bike that long and only put that many miles on it. As it turns out, every time the owner rode the bike, it hurt his back, and he'd put it back up for a while. Then he would try again, with the same results. After 7 years, he finally gave up,,, and his loss was my gain!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 1800N3 with 651 miles on it. The owner had shoulder problems that required several surgeries so he couldn't ride the bike very often. He bought it brand new and paid cash for it. Sometimes you can find a garage queen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The milage on this bike is 3470. Most definitely a garage queen. First owner was an older gentleman that barely rode it and the second owner is a woman that just doesn't have the time to ride it. My wife has already put 4000 miles on her Shadow this season. This bike will see the road on an almost daily basis.

I do appreciate all of the comments and compliments. Once I get my X off the lift, I'll post pics of the pair of them!

Cheers,
Fred

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have looked all over the bags and cannot find a brand name or a label with any information. They appear to be PVC bags with heat resistant fabric bottoms.
Truth is they are really too big for the bike, they don't fit properly under the back seat.

If I find something later on, I'll post an update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts