Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a new scoot the stable yesterday. Well okay not a new one but another one. It is an 85 Suzuki Madura. This bike and the man that rode it is the reason I ride today.
First the bike ... The Madura is a V4 1200cc screamer. Suzi took their 1200cc race motor and put it on a cruiser frame.
It is shaft driven
Water cooled
V4
Twin front disc brake
Rear Disk
It was only made for 2 years then Suzuki detuned it and called it a Marauder.
Took 2 years to figure out that this bike was way too fast and ahead of it’s time for the general population with it being on a cruiser.
The Man .. My Uncle bought the bike new in 85 and rode the hell out of it. I remember as a kid sitting at the lake (summer retreat the family had) just far enough away that the adults didn’t think I could hear but I was all ears listening to the stories they were sharing. Uncle Johnny always had riding stories and always had fast cool bikes. Listening to him talk about the rides the crap that happens on the road, laying em down. Flat out crashing em, breaking this bone riding this one at work ..... sitting there thinking (in awe) "Uncle Johnny is so freakin cool". Always looking forward to when he would get up and shout out "who wants a ride" There would be a line of us ready to go. He always made sure we all got a turn on it then he would start drinking his beer. Case a day easy and never get drunk. He worked hard .. He lived hard and he drank hard. Super cool guy
Well about a month ago I got an Email from my cousin asking if I would be interested in the bike. Uncle Johnny gave Will the bike about 8 years ago when he decided he was to old to ride it anymore. He was 70 at the time.
I jumped on the offer and yesterday went to pick it up. The bike has been sitting since 2001 so it needs some love and affection poured into it.
Rust in the tank
Carbs rebuilt
New tires
oils and lubes
Yup It is a project bike ..... but so gonna be worth the time and effort.
Pics to come later
See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Good project bike and cool story. Hope it's all you remember as a kid. It's got to be fast with a v4 1200cc. Good Luck.

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
Whew I've been praying for something to keep you out of trouble. :D
But I'll have a whole new prayer once this screamin machine is up & running.
Be careful my dear. ~M

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M hopefully that new prayer includes something about breaking up radio tranmissions so Mr. LEO cant call ahead:thumbup: Just kiddin ..... I think

Careful I will be ...... but more importantly I am gonna have fun

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice get. :cool:
My first bike was the '81 1100 EX and I was a Suzi fanatic. I remember that name but not the bike. I have been thinking about a older classic to soak up all of that spare time...that I don't have :mrgreen:
Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts