Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got Glen's tool (not the permanent one).

My back plugs are a tad black...bike runs rough until warm, that is, I start with the "choke", then I push it in to go after about 30 seconds...I get hesitation and backfire (while giving it gas) until say after about 5 minutes riding...

So, am I lean or rich and which way to turn the screw?

Either way, where the heck to you put that tool? Do I have to remove the tank?

Thanks...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
the mixture is lean. adjusting the a/f screw will help with startup but will not help with you hesitation. read through thisthread on the scar mod, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?206510-1300-Carburator-Scar-Mod-A-F-Mix-amp-Idle-Adj-Fuel-Pump-bypass&p=2055636&viewfull=1#post2055636 , and it will help with all of your issues. on the sparks plugs the base will be black what you dont want black is the ground strap, the curved part sticking up, and the porcelain. most of the black color is from the choke

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The screw is on the back side of the carb. you have to go btw the two cylinder from the left side of the engine

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My question is why did you not get the perm. A/F tool from glen? That's the best thing I have done in the rejetting of my bike, it takes so much work out of the process. Thanks Glen for a great product!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My question is why did you not get the perm. A/F tool from glen? That's the best thing I have done in the rejetting of my bike, it takes so muck work out of the process. Thanks Glen for a great product!
Probably because there is no need to have one permanently attached to your bike? Once the AF is properly set....isn't really any reason to keep monkeying with it.
Heck.....call me crazy for using a carb adjusting screwdriver I already had and a cheap 3 dollar "D" bit.....you can do your friends bikes as well. :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock bike set a/f at 2.5 turns open.
Is your bike stock.

Doug

Yes - bike is stock - that is nothing has been touched other than me replacing the air filter wit a K&N....

Plan is to put on Cobra Slash Cut slip on's sometime this year - otherwise, nothing else.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If your just gonna have pipes but stock air box id go a hair less tjan 2.5. Mine is stock with bubs and at 2.5 turns its rich. Went to 2 1/4 still a tad rich. Gonna pull tank tomarrow and go 2 turns out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...here's what my rear plugs look like:

IMG_6607.jpg

So...which way do I turn the screw? Clockwise or counter clockwise and how much?

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Correction on my post 7.
Stock a/f from the factor is set at 1-5/8 open causing the need for using chock so much.
The a/f should be set at 2-1/4 to 2-1/2. Much less choke will be needed if needed at all.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Dang, that looks like some two stroke oil burning machine that really needs to run some. I think that is the blackest, sootiest rich running valved machine Ive seen in some time. Stock air filter? If that is from a bike that has been running down the highway, its more than glens tool is gonna help. lol Thats alot of fuel....I would like to see a pic after a good run down the highway about 3800-4200 rpm.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All I can say is....

WOW!

So that's how my bike is supposed to run!
Almost started without the choke, pulled it slightly - started - pushed it in and it stayed running!
Took her for a spin, a little lugging as I pulled away from the driveway and then she was perfect.

2 blocks later at a stop sign - no hesitation.

No back fire when decelerating.

No hesitation when I accelerate from any gear.

My only beef is what the heck is wrong with Honda setting our bikes like that from the factory?

Thanks everyone and thanks Glen!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Great question Greg. If making it richer made it run better, he's burning alot of something...........my factory lean bike is nothing like that.....

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
this is what the plugs should look like. if its whiter its lean if its darker its rich

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is it oil or gas on the plug
Smelt like oil - I think - some of it was baked - so I cleaned with a small soft wire brush.

Edit: BTW, I only have like 12,000 KM on it.
I used to have to run the bike with the choke open for a few minutes - now I don't...I'll monitor it over the next little while...also I have a K&N filter - I checked it - nice and clean.

Edit: http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/spark-plug-visual-gauge/
Looks like I was 1 or 2 = excessive choking...

·
Registered
60 Posts
The reason for factory setting at 1 5/8 turns is because they are at sea level in Japan and I'm in St Louis which is at approx 650 above sea level, so adjustment is needed. If you go up in the mountains you may need to open to maybe 3 turns. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
The reason for factory setting at 1 5/8 turns is because they are at sea level in Japan and I'm in St Louis which is at approx 650 above sea level, so adjustment is needed. If you go up in the mountains you may need to open to maybe 3 turns. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
excepted that they were made and asseled in Marryville, Ohio (about the sae alditude) I've been threw the plant.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
So how exactly do you adjust the carburetor? I know there are two screws but I have no idea where to find them. And I noticed above somebody mentioned a carburetor screwdriver and a d bit what are those? right now mine is running pretty darn rich my brother was behind me today and said it smelled like raw fuel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts