Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago bought a 05 vtx 1800 F with only 1,600 garage kept miles but common sense, and forum discussions, has me wanting to replace the tires asap. I’ve never had to replace tires before as I haven’t been riding long enough on a bike that needed it. I hear that there are waiting times, and shop costs to mount and balance to deal with but I’m impatient to be able to ride without worry. I’ve already chanced riding 400 miles. Specs say I need a 130/55 R18 and a 180/55 R18. I ride fairly flat NJ roads and highways but hope to travel to neighboring states.
Questions:
1) How close to these tire sizes do I need to be?
2) Should I stick to radial tires? (Been offered Bias Belted, like I know the difference)
3) Is there a big difference in the makes? Are any junk?
4) Any links to decent tires that I don’t have to wait weeks for? (If not, I’m gonna jump on a offer of American Elite Dunlops. Not my first choice but available immediately)

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I answered you on the Cafe.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
12,356 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,698 Posts
No need to jump sizes, stay with the OEM sizes. Dunlop American Elites, or the Elite 4 are great tires. Find an online store and print out their price and bring it to your local dealer and ask if they will match the price if you order from them and have them do the install. Most shops will do this

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Hey FH, where about in Jersey are you. I was born and raised (and raised my family) in Hackensack. From what you said about flat straight roads make me think you are in South Jersey? 17 year old tires. Wow! Damn shame for a MC tire to time out before wearing out. LOL

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 9 of 9 Posts