Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding an 06 1300r and stock pipes are on the bike. Wanted to make them a bit louder but not asshole loud. Called around and can't find anything. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Join the club loud pipes automatically make u an ass hole...after market pretty much dried up..but a few choices...try doing a SEARCH on modding stockers eg...Clayton mod....I run V$H big shots..may try the sideburnEr while still available.....GOODLUCK on your choice...

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
+1 on doing the Clayton Mod first. Then you can decide on louder aftermarket pipes. Be aware that some brands like V & H offer 'quiet baffles' as an option. My HK3" were pretty loud, but I slipped a set of 4-1/2" Smartz Baffles inside the HK baffles, for a little more back pressure and reduction of noise about 10-15% I estimate. I'm happy with them. I can hear my satellite tunes @ 70 mph either with earbuds or the bluetooth speakers/ adapter. But the earbuds cut out a little more wind & road noise.

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
The OEM mufflers have many chambers. You have to get a long bit to do some good.
I drilled 6 - 5/16" holes in my mufflers. Not much change. 1/2" or 3/4"may have been better.
But the heavy and too long mufflers were not right for my 1300C.
HardKrome 2.5" Classics on my ride. It was clangy, some mods made and the last has been in place for years.
Some back pressure and a slight re-direct improved the sound, lowered the volume.
They call HK Double Guard now. Classic 2.5" had a few cracking/breaking on outer
pipe. Mine has been welded a few times. Still in use. High mileage.

Corba has some slip-on mufflers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the feedback so far. It seems that what I"m looking for can be accomplished by drilling first. I don't want to spend more $ than needed. I'm sure just a little louder will be enough for me. I've looked for a "how to" video on you tube but all i can find is the "new sound" videos. can anyone get me a link for the 1300r for Clayton Root?

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Step by Step board,1300 section.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is not the advice you're looking for. (shrug)

Gearbanger has a nice look to his.

Gbang.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Help me understand. do you think drilling out is a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Help me understand. do you think drilling out is a bad idea?
I don't think it's a bad idea if you want noise/rumble/etc., on a budget, but you still have the torpedo tube look.

Many like the look; me not so much. Your money, your choice.

Reactions: Mick in KY

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea if you want noise/rumble/etc., on a budget, but you still have the torpedo tube look.

Many like the look; me not so much. Your money, your choice.
IM one of those ...thats why originally I went with Roadhouse slipons....I didnt want to bugger up my OEM so stay with aftermarket Noise ...as soon as I go totally deef will go back to OEM...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I personally wanted an exhaust where the end can didn't cover the axle bolt. I can now pull the axle without having to mess with the exhaust. My exhaust isn't available anymore (Roadhouse Classic 2:1 with serrated heat shields). I just put header wrap around the stock perforated tube (baffle??), so it is essentially like running a 2:1 straight pipe.

The axle bolt is the bolt above the end can at the center of the wheel:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I personally wanted an exhaust where the end can didn't cover the axle bolt. I can now pull the axle without having to mess with the exhaust. My exhaust isn't available anymore (Roadhouse Classic 2:1 with serrated heat shields). I just put header wrap around the stock perforated tube (baffle??), so it is essentially like running a 2:1 straight pipe.

The axle bolt is the bolt above the end can at the center of the wheel:
thats a sweet ride, my friend!

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Yeah, a long pipe does get in the way of that axle bolt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bought my bike in 2018, and didn't care for the OEM exhaust. I ordered up an exhaust from "Freedom Performance" Based in California. Last I knew, they were still making full exhaust sets for the VTX1300, although you may have to wait a bit for production. Cost was about $700 +/- Sound is great, but I had to repack the muffler so it was not Asshole loud. The "Quiet Baffle" is good too. I purchased both.

vtx1.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have only had my 2006C for about 2 months, I was not happy with the stock look or sound and went with cobra slash cut short shots. My last bike was a Harley with Reinhardt’s and I think the volume level is pretty comparable to that, the sound is different due to engine characteristic. There is really a mellow sound at idle or if you apply throttle evenly but they do get loud if you rev unloaded or lay on the throttle. i am satisfied with them and the look and they were easy to install and mount very rigid with a frame adapter, they slip off for relatively easy access to the axle bolt. I think the sound is a personal choice decision and it’s best if you can hear it for yourself to decide, I like the simple option that I can put the old set back on if I sell or decide I don’t want it loud. Good luck, there is a raft of exhaust opinions to ponder on this site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts