Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last April I replaced the starter solenoid in my 1800 F and I am in the process of modifying another Ford type solenoid for my 1800 S. Both solenoids were stuck in the closed position. Normally I keep the bike on a maintainer and the problem occurred after I'd ridden the bike and parked it for a while. So I wondered if the battery lost its charge quickly when the bike was parked without being connected to a maintainer.

When I got home, I fully charged the battery (steady green light on maintainer) and then disconnect it. One week later, before I started to remove the old solenoid, I checked the battery voltage. It measured 12.82 volts. The AGM battery holds its charge well. I won't go back to flooded lead acid batteries.

·
Registered
10,788 Posts
When was the last time you bought a flooded lead acid battery?
OEM battery IS an AGM.

For a MC last "flab" was previous to my VTX.

My lawnmower has been using my old weak VTX batteries. I purchased an AGM for the mower this spring.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My VTX came with an AGM battery in it when I bought it June 2013. P O bought the battery in April 2009. Never had a problem with it. I don't keep it on a maintainer but I ride it year round, it never sits more than 2 weeks in the winter w/o a good ride, usually no more than a week depending on weather. Going on 11 years on it now, not sure how long it will last or if it die suddenly or slowly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last April I replaced the starter solenoid in my 1800 F and I am in the process of modifying another Ford type solenoid for my 1800 S. Both solenoids were stuck in the closed position. Normally I keep the bike on a maintainer and the problem occurred after I'd ridden the bike and parked it for a while. So I wondered if the battery lost its charge quickly when the bike was parked without being connected to a maintainer.

When I got home, I fully charged the battery (steady green light on maintainer) and then disconnect it. One week later, before I started to remove the old solenoid, I checked the battery voltage. It measured 12.82 volts. The AGM battery holds its charge well. I won't go back to flooded lead acid batteries.

I just replaced my AGM battery on my AT, just got 5 years but the dealer told me if I had been running it a battery maintainer it should last 8 years! I replaced my battery on the VTX 1800r with an AGM also so this spring, I guess it will go on a maintainer over our long never ending winters from now on.
I also switch the Kill Switch to off when I am not riding for awhile just to make sure nothing can draw power from the battery also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced my AGM battery on my AT, just got 5 years but the dealer told me if I had been running it a battery maintainer it should last 8 years! I replaced my battery on the VTX 1800r with an AGM also so this spring, I guess it will go on a maintainer over our long never ending winters from now on.
I also switch the Kill Switch to off when I am not riding for awhile just to make sure nothing can draw power from the battery also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I never thought to switch off the kill switch to better isolate the battery from the bike. I will do that the next time I store it for the winter while it's on the maintainer.

I have had AGM batteries fail while on maintainers. Also had one fail in less than two years on the Prius. I guess there are rotten apples in every barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts