Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my 1300 to mechanic and while putting cover back on airbox he must of tightened bolt up too tight because now all it does is spin..any ideas on getting this off with screwing up (stock)airbox? got a new one on the way just in case and yes mechanic is going to take care of free of charge :

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bolt

Are you talking about the bolt inside the air box down below the filter element? If so, it threads into a rubber grommet in a bracket on the engine and it will spin if you over tighten it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you put on the chrome cover there are five allen bolts that hold the cover on--the bottom bolt just keeps turning--im assumming that theres a nut inside the plastic air box itself that got rounded out

·
Registered
50 Posts
The bottom one did the same thing to me. Don't rememeber how if I finally pulled it loose, but the solution is to use one of the small stainless steel hose clamps around that bottom boss. It'll hold the nut tight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had same problem on my airbox. We finally got the bolt out by first removing the other bolts then by applying LIGHT outward presure by pulling out on the airbox cover while turning the allen bolt - which seemed to help the little nut on the inside stop spinning. Take your time and you should be good to go. The fix mentioned above will work although we replaced the entire inner airbox plastic on warranty.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Had mine do the same thing a few weeks ago. I took a long screwdriver and popped it out of the metal bracket from the other side of the bike. I tried the pressure while turning and it didn't work. After the box came off it still took another 10 minutes to get the stupid rubber off the bolt :?

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. That fix and many, many more are on that site. 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts