Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the pair valve mod (just started it) and it seems the 10mm bolt near the bottom of the air box is stripped or something? It will not come out and will not tighten. I havent ever had the air box cover off before and I bought the bike new. Anyone have similiar issues with this bolt? I know this mod is simple but I can not get started without the air box off. Not having much luck. Is it stripped or am I missing something very obvious? :dontknow:
Thanks

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I am doing the pair valve mod (just started it) and it seems the 10mm bolt near the bottom of the air box is stripped or something? It will not come out and will not tighten. I havent ever had the air box cover off before and I bought the bike new. Anyone have similiar issues with this bolt? I know this mod is simple but I can not get started without the air box off. Not having much luck. Is it stripped or am I missing something very obvious? :dontknow:
Thanks

that bolt actually goes into a retaining grommet. so it is possible for the whole grommet to just be spinning. I dont remember how much room is back there, but maybe you can get your hand or a screwdriver in behind to hod the grommet in place.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Spike, the bolt he refers to is inside the airbox, not one of those lil allens that holds the cover on

·
Registered
461 Posts
Grab the bottom of the airbox and pull as you turn the bolt, it is a compression grommet that holds that in, I threw mine away after I got it out and used a regular bolt/nut, and use a long extension on a ratchet to put the nut on from the left side between the jugs

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I had the same problem when I did my pair vavles. Eventually I just pulled on it until the rubber grommet poped out. When I put the air box back on I pushed until it poped back in place.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had the same problem when replacing my throttle cables. I just thought I was being stupid! Glad I read this thread :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant get a screw driver or anything behind the air box cover to stop the grommet from spinning with the bolt.

yes i am talking about the 10mm bolt inside the air box, near the bottom. i still cant get it out since the grommet keeps spinning. i have pushed, pulled, and everything on the air box but no luck so far.

any other insights i am missing? thanks for all the responses! this board is great!!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I finally ripped mine out... Drove me nuts for about an hour. I think its called a well nut, you can find them at Lowes\Home Depot. I got one there with a matching bolt for a couple bucks. I road with it without the bolt for about a week until I got around to getting one.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
if you put a 10 or 12 mm socket on a long socket extension and put pressure on the rubber gromet from the back side it will stop the grommet from spinning. Just remember when you button her back up just hand tighten the bolt so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
907 Posts
airbox

Did you try pulling out on the bottom of the airbox when you try to remove the bolt. A little pressure outwards sometimes helps to keep the bolt and grommet from spinning.
i cant get a screw driver or anything behind the air box cover to stop the grommet from spinning with the bolt.

yes i am talking about the 10mm bolt inside the air box, near the bottom. i still cant get it out since the grommet keeps spinning. i have pushed, pulled, and everything on the air box but no luck so far.

any other insights i am missing? thanks for all the responses! this board is great!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the help guys. i ended up just pulling it out. all it is that is holding on is a rubber grommet that pushes into a bracket. there isnt a clip on mine. so just pop it back in when i button it up tomorrow. thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts