Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the bottom of the cover on the 1800, is the bottom screw designed to turn the metal inside piece toward the housing, making the cover snug up to the housing? Turning the screw does not have any effect other than turning the metal piece. If so mine is not working properly as there is a space at the bottom. Some fluid comes out and hits my right side bag. I took cover off and tried reinserting but no luck. Any ideas other than get a new housing are as always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I had this happen on mine. Actually it was the Honda shop did it and then denied having done it, but that's another story. At one point it got over tightened. What I did with mine was to fix the brass threaded rosette (this is the part with the knurled outside and the threaded hole) in place with super glue. Wait for the glue to set properly and you should be good to go. Just be careful to not overtighten it again.

Some say to heat the brass price up to plastic melting temp and re-insert it, but I didn't much care for that approach. I have heard that gluing it back in place with JB Weld works really well. My bet is that that would be a great fix as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that plastic black piece inside the housing is supposed to be solid, not a slit on each side? Ok, vice grip and super glue. Just seems like the hole will be too small to receive the silver metal piece on the cover, but it must work that way. Thanks Harkon.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
So that plastic black piece inside the housing is supposed to be solid, not a slit on each side? Ok, vice grip and super glue. Just seems like the hole will be too small to receive the silver metal piece on the cover, but it must work that way. Thanks Harkon.
Hope we're talking about the same thing. Maybe post a pic.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Did you remove the part from the chrome cover and re-install it into the back cover.
Than put the glue on??

Very light torque when tightening.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Instead of using glue I used a small screw type fuel hose clamp to squeeze it together around the threaded metal part. It's been working for a couple years now. The clamp is inside of the box and doesn't interfere with the filter.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
^^^^THIS^^^^ is what I did too. Works great. Fuel line skinny worm drive hose clamps fit right in there.

Reactions: StarrRider

·
Super Moderator
63,690 Posts
Yep, it's broken, and the fluid is the blowby from the crankcase vent hose. Clean the clear tube on the back of the airbox oout as that is supposed to catch that oil residue until it's filled then it will spill out of the bottom of the airbox.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No luck. The black piece in the housing is glued well together, but the chrome piece does not go in that hole. Too small a hole. Look at the pic of the flat metal piece on chrome cover, then look at the hole when clamped together. big difference. I must be missing something here. Like what Hans said maybe the metal piece should be in the housing to start with, so I have to get the piece out of the chrome cover? I will need to break the bond that is glued though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
What are you saying? The metal piece you see in the pic that is in the chrome cover should not be there, but rather in the housing?
Yes! Hold that metal piece with pliers and remove the allen head screw from it.
Then install the metal piece in the hole on the back cover. If you have already glued it you will have to break the glue before the metal piece will fit in the hole. It is a tight fit before it's glued together.
That metal piece is an anchored nut, and is molded into the plastic back cover.
Look at the other cover screws and see how they are screwed into the back cover. That's how it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes! Hold that metal piece with pliers and remove the allen head screw from it.
Then install the metal piece in the hole on the back cover. If you have already glued it you will have to break the glue before the metal piece will fit in the hole. It is a tight fit before it's glued together.
That metal piece is an anchored nut, and is molded into the plastic back cover.
Look at the other cover screws and see how they are screwed into the back cover. That's how it is supposed to be.
Obviously I'm not the most mechanically inclined! When I saw the cover with the metal piece, I thought interesting Honda decided to make this different than the others. wow.

Problem solved without glue. The broken plastic/rubber grommet was so tight, that even with metal piece in place all the way, which took awhile for me to get it in there, still cracked part not totally closed. I had to use a hammer to bang metal piece in there. Cover is totally flush. Did not over tighten. Don't think the metal piece is going anywhere.
Thanks Starrrider!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts